Procrastination in Language Learning

General discussion about learning languages
Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:54 pm

When I came across this article in the New York Times last year. I was going to ask the members about their thoughts on the matter, how this problem affects their language studies, what the causes might be, their approaches to dealing with the phenomenon and the like. And then, well, time passed ... and passed ... and passed ...

We Finally Got Around to Learning at the Procrastination Center -- New York Times -- 21 July 2017
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/21/science/procrastination-research-conference.html

Sorry about the delay! Perhaps we should form a committee, hold a round table, establish a new sub-form, a study group, or a support group. I dunno, something that might serve as a catalyst for discussion? Let me know whenever you get around to it.

By the way, smallwhite provided the inspiration for this post. I've simply got to find the time to thank her for this. I'm usually pretty good about these things, but I'm pretty busy right now, I'll get around to it.
12 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Re: Procrastination in Language Learning

Postby rdearman » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:37 pm

Interesting, although there is some research that procrastinators tend to be more inventive and have better solutions to problems simply because they had more time to think about whatever it was. I should try to find the artcle I read. It was something to do with college students who procrastinated had more original ideas. Then again University students are the most studied group of people in the world. :)
1 x
: 26 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Postby Ani » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:20 am

I've spend like the last 10 years trying to stop being such a horrible procrastinator. I made some progress but not a huge amount.

The good news is, for me and language learning, I procrastinate BY language learning :-) And in fact it's I've of the only things I feel successful at in general. But if you really asked me, at any time I could give your a list of 5-10 super important and necessary things that I'm procrastinating on to the point of being very uncomfortable, embarrassing or expensive.

I sometimes regret not having had the chance to learn more languages, or a modern language to a higher level during my school years, but I probably just would have procrastinated away from learning it and it would have become miserable so.. oh well :)

Side story on procrastination: I picked up the book "The Now Habit" a few years ago. After reading a few pages I was sure it was going to solve all my troubles. I told one friend how great it was and how much it was going to help me. I said that it was such a good book, I was going to send it to my best friend who is an even worse procrastinator then I am. Friend #1 said "oh I guess we can test how well the book works based on how long it takes you to send it" .... She was right.. never sent it.
11 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

garyb
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native: English
Advanced: Italian, French
Intermediate: Spanish
Beginner: German, Japanese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1855

Postby garyb » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:49 am

Ani wrote:Side story on procrastination: I picked up the book "The Now Habit" a few years ago. After reading a few pages I was sure it was going to solve all my troubles. I told one friend how great it was and how much it was going to help me. I said that it was such a good book, I was going to send it to my best friend who is an even worse procrastinator then I am. Friend #1 said "oh I guess we can test how well the book works based on how long it takes you to send it" .... She was right.. never sent it.

You're as bad as me! Years ago I bought a book called "Getting Things Done", and I never finished it.
8 x

aravinda
Green Belt
Languages: .

Postby aravinda » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:27 pm

I picked up a thrown away copy of The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People from my previous local library. Usually, I'm wary of self-improvement books, especially the ones with numbers in the title. However, this one looked okay, so I started reading it.
One year later, I'm still at Habit 3. :)
5 x

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:58 pm

I learned my languages while procrastinating from other things.
10 x

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:40 pm

aravinda wrote:I picked up a thrown away copy of The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People from my previous local library. Usually, I'm wary of self-improvement books, especially the ones with numbers in the title. However, this one looked okay, so I started reading it. One year later, I'm still at Habit 3.
Hmm, according to the Wikipedia article on this book, Habit 2 is "Begin with the End in Mind: Envision what you want in the future so you can work and plan towards it." At first, the thought occured to me that your being stuck at Habet 3 might not bode well for your prospective status of Superhero. And then, I noticed that Habit 6 is "Synergize", a matter which brought back some very bad memories from the 1980's (BTW in the 1990's, the buzzword was "Paradigm" which, of course, was used as a cudgel). As you correctly surmised, there is no rush to finish the thrown away "Ode to the Me Generation."
1 x

cathrynm
Orange Belt
Languages: Japanese(JLPT N3), Finnish(beginner), English(native)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=721

Postby cathrynm » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:57 am

rdearman wrote:Interesting, although there is some research that procrastinators tend to be more inventive and have better solutions to problems simply because they had more time to think about whatever it was.

I've already tried this. Don't think it works.
2 x

Ingaræð
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), German (heritage)
Learning: Russian, French, German, Mandarin, Arabic, Spanish.
Mostly forgotten: Italian, Welsh.

Postby Ingaræð » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:14 pm

It's taken me two days to get through those not-particularly-long blog posts, because I'm a chronic procrastinator. :roll: :oops: :cry: They're really good, though, and the advice on how to change things is the best (and easiest?) I've read so far in terms of actually being to implement it and effecting a long-term, positive change.

Also, according to the 'Learning How to Learn' course, procrastinating (or even just looking at something you don't want to do) activates the areas of your brain associated with pain. :shock:

rdearman wrote:Interesting, although there is some research that procrastinators tend to be more inventive and have better solutions to problems simply because they had more time to think about whatever it was.

To paraphrase the article in the OP, that sounds like delaying, not procrastinating. Procrastinators also try to avoid thinking about the thing they're trying to avoid doing.
7 x

renaissancemedici
Orange Belt
Languages: Greek (N), English (C2), French (B2), Italian (A2), German (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 25#p100832

Postby renaissancemedici » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:22 am

I've also been struggling with procrastination, and my best method to beat it is with the opposite: always have a schedule in your mind beforehand, always know your next move, and keep working. That's it for me. Nothing else works.
0 x
I use Assimil right now as a starting point, but at the same time I am building the foundation for further studies of German.

Assimil German with ease: 8 / 100

Return to “General Language Discussion”