smallwhite wrote:Thanks zenmonkey and Iversen for the tips. I know I was not doing exactly Goldlist or Iversen-style word lists. I already have a method that produces 90%+ recall and is convenient to do (flashcards on phone), so my main focus was whether the general process of doing pen and paper wordlists would be faster (than 90 seconds per word). I also realise that results would improve with time and experience. But I guess it was hard for me to act naturally when I knew I was testing myself, and I wasn't able to do my paper wordlists at a natural speed.
If you have a method with 90% recall at 90 sec per word, that about 2000 words in 200 hrs.
That sounds fantastic and I would not change a thing. My overhead is much higher.
Btw, does goldlisting require you to read or otherwise have contact with the language? That is, is the exposure you get from reading part of the method? Or does it work / will you have 70% words to carry forward even if you don't read at all? If reading is required then reading time should be counted. With flashcards you don't need further exposure or revision, you'll simply fail more cards and have to do more reps, but the system takes care of everything for you.
In theory, it doesn't require it but it does assume that you are being exposed to the language through reading, lessons or other activities. They tell you not to worry about that additional exposure, if it happens. But like flashcards, it is a self contained system - you eliminate the 30% you retained and rework the remaining 70%. So perhaps you are over learning a few terms at first. Basically if after several distillations your retention falls way below that 30% when you are getting to distillation 10 or 11 (you've seen and rewritten this word 11 times over 22 weeks) it just gets eliminated and you move on. While that part makes sense to me, I'm still wondering about the retention of terms eliminated early on over those long stretches.
In terms of what 'needs' to counted, for me, within the scope of this experiment - since the reading or other exposure will be statistically the same for both Anki or GLM I don't have to worry about it.
Here is a blog that does a good job describing the GLM: https://howtogetfluent.com/__trashed/
I will say that the general mis-use of the terms short-term and long-term memory by the proponents of the GLM annoys me. Short term memory is something that is counted in seconds and not days. What they are trying to describe is 'something else'. But ok, minor grump.