Experiments: Gold List vs Anki vs ....

General discussion about learning languages
smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Re: Experiments: Gold List vs Anki vs ....

Postby smallwhite » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:45 am

How's it going?
1 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

Sayonaroo
Green Belt
Languages: English(N), Japanese -fluent?, Korean - advanced?, Spanish (b1?)
Language Log: http://choronghi.wordpress.com

Postby Sayonaroo » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:26 am

I think that gold list is more effective than anki for beginner/intermediate stages (provided you're getting your words from stuff you actually read/heard) since sometimes people anki words they don't need to anki since they can't tell how useful/common the word is. I was thinking in general for the beginner/intermediate stage you'd advance faster not using anki (making the cards, doing the cards takes up time and that time could be spent reading/listening) due to how common the common words are (you get natural srs because the words are that common). I do personally love using anki and I was thinking that anking after knowing about 5000 words or 2000 words some other big number is worth it.
0 x

4valor
Languages: English (N), Korean (B1)

Postby 4valor » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:27 am

Sayonaroo wrote:I think that gold list is more effective than anki for beginner/intermediate stages (provided you're getting your words from stuff you actually read/heard) since sometimes people anki words they don't need to anki since they can't tell how useful/common the word is. I was thinking in general for the beginner/intermediate stage you'd advance faster not using anki (making the cards, doing the cards takes up time and that time could be spent reading/listening) due to how common the common words are (you get natural srs because the words are that common). I do personally love using anki and I was thinking that anking after knowing about 5000 words or 2000 words some other big number is worth it.

But then surely you could use a pre-made deck in Anki and unsuspend the words as you encounter them (which is what I do). I've never agreed with the popular advice of making your own decks from scratch because it is very time consuming and yields little benefit. Surely for most learners, the time would be better spent engaging in the language. It is for this reason that using a most common words pre-made deck is the way to go in the beginning. It seems people forget that you can easily personalize these decks however you want. Add pictures/sentences/context etc.

The other argument in favor of using Anki right from the beginning is that it's portable, so you can use it in what would otherwise be dead-time. E.g. on a busy train, driving (using a bluetooth controller), waiting in a line etc. I'm not sure if the same could be said about the list methods.
0 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:13 am

4valor wrote:But then surely you could use a pre-made deck in Anki and unsuspend the words as you encounter them (which is what I do). I've never agreed with the popular advice of making your own decks from scratch because it is very time consuming and yields little benefit. Surely for most learners, the time would be better spent engaging in the language. It is for this reason that using a most common words pre-made deck is the way to go in the beginning. It seems people forget that you can easily personalize these decks however you want. Add pictures/sentences/context etc.

The other argument in favor of using Anki right from the beginning is that it's portable, so you can use it in what would otherwise be dead-time. E.g. on a busy train, driving (using a bluetooth controller), waiting in a line etc. I'm not sure if the same could be said about the list methods.

Time consuming? Depending on the nature of your cards (Images? Audio? Multiple fields?) and how many you add. For a bunch of cards from a typical lesson, plain L2-L1, I just copy/paste the contents into a tab-separated text document and then import it. It may take a minute or two. I'm now reviewing stuff that I've already been studying, so no random list of fruits or kitchen utensils. That's the main benefit of a self-made deck (or goldlist), I think.
0 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby smallwhite » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:08 am

The point of this thread is precisely to EXPERIMENT to see which method is better, to save you the trouble of going My method is better, No mine is better, No if you use your method poorly then my method is better, No my... no... mine... no...
2 x

CarlyD
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish--A2, German--now studying, A2

Postby CarlyD » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:11 pm

Finally throwing in my 2 cents. I started Goldlist when the challenge started. Plus I use regular flashcards and Memrise.

I love Goldlist. The calming effect, the perfect notebook. The tranquility of it all.

Has Goldlist helped me to move words into long-term memory? Sadly, not at all. Not a single word. :( And I can't honestly imagine doing it all the way through the Gold notebook--18 weeks--to learn a word (if then) when it manages to get drummed in in Memrise or carrying around a flashcard in a matter of days.

But I do like the group Facebook posts with the guy that does his list in a bakery with all the cakes. :)

So for me--Memrise, flashcards, and I'm going to go find the explanation of Iversen's method that I found interesting but haven't tried yet.
2 x
2024 15,000 pages Reading Challenge--pages: 1180 / 15000

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby smallwhite » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:19 pm

How's it going?
0 x

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby smallwhite » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:37 pm

zenmonkey wrote:24 Jan 2018

4) 60, 120, 180 days in, do a recall test on a limited sample from the original list. Sample test should not interfere significantly with the following tests.

I wonder what the 60th day test results are!
0 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:46 pm

CarlyD wrote:So for me--Memrise, flashcards, and I'm going to go find the explanation of Iversen's method that I found interesting but haven't tried yet.

You can find an explanation of my wordlist layout here (as chapter 2.6 of my guide to language learning). There is also an article on a wiki somewhere, but the chapter in the guide is more up to date - I have changed my opinions of revision methods a bit since the wiki was written).

2 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:58 pm

smallwhite wrote:How's it going?

Sorry! SORRY!

Ok. I'll make a short update now and a longer one later.

Basically for me Gold List was a bust.

I found that I could not retain words for an A0/A1 language with a new script without a much higher frequency. Not only did this result in poor recall but issues with transcription to oral production also arose. And the psychological factors of not having a tool to *restack* what was due just made consistency a larger issue. Again - my own issues were more apparent with this method.

Surprisingly - I did find some success with my B2/C1 tests and sentences. More later when I have time to also present the math.
2 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

Return to “General Language Discussion”