New BBC Language Service for Africa- BBC Pidgin

General discussion about learning languages
iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

New BBC Language Service for Africa- BBC Pidgin

Postby iguanamon » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:36 pm

Pdigin English is widely spoken in West Africa and has been for a few hundred years. It is very similar to Caribbean English based Creoles like Jamaican patois. The language varies among nations and ethnic groups. Having learned two Creole French languages, I find a lot of similarities among the African and diaspora Creoles. The British High Commissioner to Nigeria is quoted as saying in Pidgin "I like Nigeria well-well". In Haitian Creole "well-well" (very much) is similar to "anpil anpil"- "Mwen renmen Nigeria anpil anpil"
Wikipedia wrote:Nigerian Pidgin is an English-based pidgin and creole language spoken as a lingua franca across Nigeria. The language is commonly referred to as "Pidgin" or Broken (pronounced "Brokin"). It is distinguished from other creole languages since most speakers are not true native speakers although many children learn it at an early age. It can be spoken as a pidgin, a creole, or a decreolised acrolect by different speakers, who may switch between these forms depending on the social setting.
Variations of what this article refers to as "Nigerian Pidgin" are also spoken across West and Central Africa, in countries such as Equatorial Guinea, Ghana and Cameroon.

The BBC recently began a BBC Pidgin service for Africa. You can even listen to the news of the world in one minute in Pidgin: All di local and world tori wey you suppose know in 60 seconds!. Of course, one can argue that it is not a language but a "corruption of English" and my response would be that it is indeed a language and shares a relationship with English in a similar way as French does to its Creoles.

The New York Times wrote:...“We’re reaching new audiences in a language that is popular,” said Bilkisu Labaran, who oversees the service in West African Pidgin and who grew up speaking it, in spite of her parents’ disapproval. In schools, teachers warned students about the dangers of what they considered a “deviant” language.
While Pidgin is looked down upon by some, the word itself is not derogatory. More than 75 million people are thought to speak the language, either as their primary or secondary tongue.
“It’s so expressive, it brings people together and reaffirms a shared African identity,” Ms. Labaran said.

Reading it will probably be easier for language-learners here on the forum than listening. Here's a link to a BBC Video Subtitled Pidgin English sweet to talk but to read am for book na another mata "People ready to read book dem write for pidgin English so far as e get beta tori inside". The word "dem" (them) is similar to how the particle "yo" is used in Haitian Creole to represent the plural. It's also used in Caribbean English Creoles to represent the plural- "De tree dem all mashup/The trees are torn up".

One of the things I find interesting in the NYT article is that there is a nascent effort to standardize Pidgin by the BBC Pidgin service.
The New York Times wrote:There are many variants of pidgin spoken across West Africa, from Mauritania in the north to Nigeria and English-speaking parts of Cameroon in the south, and the BBC said it is using a mélange in an effort to create some sort of regional standard. This has fueled debates among staff members over word choices: should, for example, an article use a word from Cameroonian pidgin, or from Nigerian pidgin, the most widely spoken variant.
The team is also trying to pioneer a standardized written form of Pidgin, which is primarily a spoken language. There are no formal ways of learning it; people simply pick it up.
Chris Ewokor is helping the BBC effort by putting together a linguistic guide. “I’m creating rules that we never had before,” he said.
In Mr. Ewokor’s dictionary, “adrenaline,” for example, is translated to “power dey pump for im brain.” Drunken driving is translated as “drunkaman driving.” ... Although some critics discourage the use of pidgin, its supporters say it represents far more than a language.
“Young people are taking it and owning it, and creating an identity from it,” Ms. Ofulue said. “This is our creation. That pride belongs to us.”
9 x

Sarafina
Green Belt
Languages: English (N)
French (Intermediate )
Japanese (Beginner)
Yoruba (Advanced Comprehension)

Re: New BBC Language Service for Africa- BBC Pidgin

Postby Sarafina » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:26 pm

I have mixed feelings about this as a second generation Nigerian. On one hand I understand that it might be easier for people who are more comfortable with pidgin English to watch news spoken in pidgin English.

But on the other hand I find to be incredibly patronising as it implies that they are incapable of understanding news spoken in standard English. English is the official language of Nigeria. Any form of education are taught in standard English and the materials are also written in standard English.

I find such efforts to create standardised written form of Pidgin as an interesting project but I would be dismayed to see it taught at schools.
2 x

Saim
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: English
Others: Catalan, Serbian, Spanish, Polish, Hungarian, Urdu, French etc.
Main focus: German

Postby Saim » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:45 pm

Sarafina wrote:But on the other hand I find to be incredibly patronising as it implies that they are incapable of understanding news spoken in standard English. [...] English is the official language of Nigeria.

What's wrong with not understanding English? Most people don't understand English.

This also isn't the only non-English coverage the BBC has. Another language spoken in Nigeria, Hausa, has its own service, and they are apparently planning to add Youruba and Igbo as well.
3 x
log

شجرِ ممنوع 152

Sarafina
Green Belt
French (Intermediate )
Japanese (Beginner)

Postby Sarafina » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:59 pm

Saim wrote:
Sarafina wrote:But on the other hand I find to be incredibly patronising as it implies that they are incapable of understanding news spoken in standard English. [...] English is the official language of Nigeria.

What's wrong with not understanding English? Most people don't understand English.

This also isn't the only non-English coverage the BBC has. Another language spoken in Nigeria, Hausa, has its own service, and they are apparently planning to add Youruba and Igbo as well.

There's nothing wrong with not understanding English. But English is the official language of Nigeria so most people who have gone through any kind of education in Nigeria would be a decent understanding of English. If you look at all the official news Nigerian news channels it's all done in standard English.

I would prefer that they create more services/greater news coverage in indigenous Nigerian languages e.g. Yoruba, Igbo or Hausa which are actually most Nigerians people's native languages. Nigerian pidgin English has similarities to creole languages but what really "distinguishes from other creole languages since most speakers are not true native speakers although many children learn it at an early age."
3 x

Saim
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: English
Others: Catalan, Serbian, Spanish, Polish, Hungarian, Urdu, French etc.
Main focus: German

Postby Saim » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:06 pm

Sarafina wrote:If you look at all the official news Nigerian news channels it's all done in standard English.

I'd argue that if in a country with 500 languages, a number of which having tens of millions of speakers, if all of the news is delivered in a single language that is hardly anyone's mother tongue, you're doing something wrong. Then again, perhaps I'm just projecting my views on how Punjabi (, Sindhi, Saraiki, Pashto, etc.) is neglected in Pakistan (in favour of English and Urdu, neither of which are indigenous to Pakistan) onto the Nigerian context.

Sarafina wrote:I would prefer that they create more services/greater news coverage in indigenous Nigerian languages e.g. Yoruba, Igbo or Hausa which are actually most Nigerians people's native languages.

I'm confused now. Is your argument that coverage in Pidgin takes away from coverage in Yoruba, Igbo or Hausa? The Hausa coverage predates the Pidgin coverage. Since Yoruba and Igbo services are already being developed, does this mean that Pidgin is in fact preventing potential coverage in Fula, Edo or Ibibio?

To be fair, you did say "greater" coverage as well as "more services". Under what criteria should we judge the quality of the Hausa service, if we wanted to know how much it could benefit from resources currently used by Pidgin?
0 x
log

شجرِ ممنوع 152

Hrhenry
Yellow Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Spanish (C2), Italian (C2), Catalan, Galician, Portuguese, Norwegian

Studies: Turkish (B2), Polish, Ojibwe, Indonesian

Postby Hrhenry » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:12 pm

I try to listen to the BBC every night. When they rolled this out they made a fairly big deal of it.

One of the things I really like about the BBC is their (somewhat recent) push to represent accents that aren't traditionally "BBC English". Anyway, one of the hosts was born and raised in Nigeria. It was interesting to hear his take on West African Pidgin. He found it a curiosity more than anything. I also found it interesting that he really wasn't all that familiar with it. I can only assume that it's mostly an informal means of communication and probably Not used within the school system.

From what I understand, the BBC is/will be rolling out many more African languages this year.

R.
==
2 x

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:40 pm

When I read iguanamon’s post on the BBC’s Pidgin English news service, which contains no political undertones, I anticipated a descent into the forbidden zone. Now that we’re there, and not wishing to stoke the fires, I would merely point out that Nigeria, Pakistan, India, and many other countries that adopted English, French, Spanish, or any other “empire heritage language”, as either their official language or as a co-official language, are sovereign nations and are free to make different choices in the matter. In the cases just listed, it is common knowledge that the alternative would have been the adoption of one of the numerous indigenous languages as an internal lingua franca, a decision which was clearly fraught with its own complications. The decision by these sovereign governments to adopt one of the heritage languages avoided the internal strife had they favoured one of the local languages. While it may have been received as an impalatable imposition by one and all, it was the application of the “Judgment of Solomon” in linguistic matters.

EDITED:
Typos.
1 x

Sarafina
Green Belt
French (Intermediate )
Japanese (Beginner)

Postby Sarafina » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:02 pm

Saim wrote:
Sarafina wrote:If you look at all the official news Nigerian news channels it's all done in standard English.

I'd argue that if in a country with 500 languages, a number of which having tens of millions of speakers, if all of the news is delivered in a single language that is hardly anyone's mother tongue, you're doing something wrong. Then again, perhaps I'm just projecting my views on how Punjabi (, Sindhi, Saraiki, Pashto, etc.) is neglected in Pakistan (in favour of English and Urdu, neither of which are indigenous to Pakistan) onto the Nigerian context.

I agree with you. I find it shameful that I have never seen a mainstream Nigerian news channel deliver Nigerian news in any language other than English. But I don't think that the best alternative is to then deliver news in pidgin English which is really no-one's mother tongue.

I know that BBC already did some news coverage in Hausa. I remember seeing this and getting excited that BBC was recognising indigenous Nigerian languages and I am really excited to see a Yoruba one developed. I would rather that the resources used for Pidgin instead go towards coverage for other indigenous Nigerian languages like Fula or Edo.

For me I struggle to understand even the need of a separate Pidgin news coverage. There isn't such a huge disparity between Pidgin and standard English. I've read a couple of the articles of BBC News Pidgin- it's a straightforward read but I don't know if it's even necessarily more accessible to the average Nigerian.
3 x

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:16 pm

Sarafina wrote: ... I find it shameful that I have never seen a mainstream Nigerian news channel deliver Nigerian news in any language other than English...
(Colour added) Should you believe that your concerns are legitimate, I suggest that you bring them to the attention of ...

The Presidency, Office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation
http://www.osgf.gov.ng/
0 x

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:46 am

There's no political judgment necessary here. I respect Sarafina's opinions which she is most definitely entitled to have as a second generation offspring of immigrants from the region. My post is an observation. Let's try our best to keep politics out of it. I was intrigued by the similarities between this West African Pidgin/Creole and the French and English Creoles here in the Caribbean- both coming from West Africa originally in contact with colonizers and the slave trade.

Haitian Creole is a native language in Haiti and different enough from standard French that mutual intelligibility between the two languages doesn't come about easily. I can see the point about Nigerian/West African Pidgin displacing native languages but language replacement is a process that has been going on as long as humans have been around. I'm sure many were lamenting the devolution of Latin into the Romance languages a thousand or so years ago.

Time will tell whether the BBC will maintain its Pidgin Service. It will either gain a following... or... it won't. People will either accept or reject it. People tend to choose which language they want to listen to or read in when they are in a multi-lingual society. It's almost like having a ringside seat to something happening in real time. In this case, I don't so much think that the BBC is leading as much as it is following. The BBC wouldn't be spending the money if they thought there wasn't an audience for it to reach.

On a related note, I remember reading on the forum about Ivory Coast French Pidgin/Slang called Nouchi which seems to be in a similar relationship to French as West African Pidgin to English. Ultimately, I think global forces are strong enough that these languages will remain as home/street languages and standard varieties will maintain their hold as the "languages of advancement". Still it is like watching a live demonstration of how a language forms and begins to be adopted. One of the common themes between Pidgin and Nouchi is pride in that they are "locally owned and operated". That's a powerful force.

If French Creole languages came about out of necessity and through pidgins... it looks like West African Pidgin and Ivoirian Nouchi are leapfrogging "necessity" and moving into popular adoption with migration from villages to large urban areas and popular music making the language more attractive to the young. Nouchi is only about 50 years old and is relatively new, while West African Pidgin has been around for a few centuries, yet, they seem to be spreading for many of the same reasons. I make no judgments either pro or con. It is, to me, an interesting window into the fascinating world of human languages and how a colonized people have taken to colonizing the colonizers' languages and making them their own. Will Pidgin and Nouchi become languages, become diglossic like Singlish and English in Singapore or be "de-creolized" back into French and English? I think, in the long run, the latter. That's just my opinion. The global forces are probably too strong.

Côte d'Ivoire - Le Nouchi, phénomène linguistique en pleine expansion/Ivory Coast - Nouchi, linguistic phenomenon in full expansion (Video in French with Nouchi)
Those interested in further reading can read this paper
Evolution and Transformation of the French Language in Côte d’Ivoire by Sanogo Adama
6 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”