Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Re: The pros and cons of expert academic opinion

Postby Cainntear » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:34 pm

aokoye wrote:*sigh*
Ok so a few things:
[list][*] Qualitative research is a thing. A really common thing in fact. It might not be common in your field, but it is in various sub-disciplines of linguistics and a number of other fields.

Yes, but qualitative research never proves anything. Qualitative research can only offer possible explanations for quantitatively observed patterns. Or put another way, qualitative research provides hypotheses, quantitative research provides evidence for or against a hypothesis.

My personal opinion is that SLA researchers really need to increase the amount of genuinely quantitative research they do.
1 x

aokoye
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), German (~C1), French (Intermediate), Japanese (N4), Swedish (beginner), Dutch (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19262

Postby aokoye » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:44 pm

Cainntear wrote:Yes, but qualitative research never proves anything. Qualitative research can only offer possible explanations for quantitatively observed patterns. Or put another way, qualitative research provides hypotheses, quantitative research provides evidence for or against a hypothesis.

My personal opinion is that SLA researchers really need to increase the amount of genuinely quantitative research they do.
I'm gonna pick my battles and let you fight that one out with the thousands of academics in a number of fields (like I said, this is not somehow isolated to linguistics) who do qualitative research.
3 x
Prefered gender pronouns: Masculine

Josquin
Blue Belt
Languages: German (native); English (advanced fluency); French (basic fluency); Italian, Swedish, Russian, Irish (intermediate); Dutch, Icelandic, Japanese, Portuguese, Scottish Gaelic (beginner); Latin, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Sanskrit (reading only)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=737

Postby Josquin » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:50 pm

emk wrote:For example, I don't get the impression that the huge, multi-decade obsession with string theory actually helped physic much, though I suppose some would disagree. Similarly, a huge number of influential and famous results in experimental psychology have proven impossible to reproduce. And for a so-called "soft science", experimental psychology is surprisingly rigorous! They have some of the best statisticians of any experimental science outside of actual physics. One of the best applied mathematicians I ever knew would get really enthusiastic about the statistical techniques used in the psychology department. And so if experimental psychology is struggling, what field doesn't need to go back and re-check their most famous papers?

Which brings us to language acquisition research. I actually have read a fair number of papers (though less in a last few years). And it's not very pretty. Methodological problems abound, sample sizes are tiny, some researchers are actually monolingual (which doesn't mean they can't do good work, but I've seen them reach some really weird conclusions), and too much research is based on people spending 5 hours with a toy language instead of studying the entire learning process from beginning to end. Just to pick an example, I feel that there are major weaknesses in Paul Nation's research on vocabulary sizes, and most people misinterpret his results.

And you think you have the expertise to fully understand and criticize all those subjects you just mentioned? Please enlighten me with your knowledge!

Sarcasm aside, I honestly would like to know how you can have the guts to criticize three sciences for their methodology? Do you really understand string theory that well that you can fully appreciate its merits and shortcomings? How firm is your grasp on psychology, which may be a "soft" science, but is a science nevertheless. And, yes, as aokoye has already pointed out, linguistics isn't just second language acquisition, it's the history and theory of language. And what's your stance on the humanities, pray?! Where there are no statistical and mathematical approaches possible?

I don't know why this day everyone thinks they are an expert in a field only because they've read some books about it. I'm doing a PhD in music history and I must admit the more I dive into my field the more I can see how little I indeed know. I don't claim to be an expert on second language acquisition just because I learned some French. This may be my hobby-horse, but in no way am I an expert in this field. I may understand something about physics, psychology, or linguistics, but surely not enough to criticize entire sub-disciplines.

If there's one point in studying philosophy, and I'm not talking about analytical philosophy, then it's the fact that it really puts things into perspective. In this regard, I'd like to quote just one man, i.e. Socrates: Οἶδα οὐκ εἰδώς ("I know that I don't know anything."). What seems to be a trivial contradiciton in itself, is in fact profoundly wise. The more Socrates learned and searched for the truth, the more he felt he knew nothing for certain, although he was considered to be the wisest of men.

The point is Socrates may have been learned and wise, but all his wisdom and knowledge only made clearer to him how little he really knew and he didn't possess the hybris to pretend otherwise. Which is to say that a little bit more humility might be appropriate here. Knowing something doesn't mean I'm an expert and it surely doesn't mean I can judge entire disciplines for their scientificity.

If you ask me, applied statistics is mostly bullocks. Statistics are able to prove everything and nothing. Nonetheless I believe they can have their merits although I may not understand them. I just accept the borders of my horizon and I don't go preaching statistics are useless. But this is getting me deep into the theory of science now and it's late and I'm getting tired. So, suffice it to say experts have their raison d'être and everybody's opinion doesn't have the same value in certain matters. I'd never go to a gardener when I want a nice steak or a good cake. So, why would I work like a mathematician when I want to know something about the nature of the universe, language, or the human mind?

EDIT: Before any further discussion, please read this: Scientism
6 x
Oró, sé do bheatha abhaile! Anois ar theacht an tsamhraidh.

emk
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2+)
Badly neglected "just for fun" languages: Middle Egyptian, Spanish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=723

Postby emk » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:36 am

Josquin wrote:Sarcasm aside, I honestly would like to know how you can have the guts to criticize three sciences for their methodology? Do you really understand string theory that well that you can fully appreciate its merits and shortcomings?

So I do believe in backing up my statements if somebody calls me on them. So here you go, though I don't necessarily think you'll be convinced (or even that you should be convinced). :-) But at least it will help explain what I was thinking, which I feel is a basic obligation of anybody who makes arguments.

I do not understand string theory. My concerns about string theory are largely based on the comments of physicists that I respect, and on the failure of the LHC to actually provide evidence for things like extra dimensions or super-symmetry, which were often claimed to be the major testable predictions of string theory. And as I understand it, people seem to have given up on string theory producing any testable science anytime soon:

The upshot is that string theory today includes much that no longer seems stringy. Those tiny loops of string whose harmonics were thought to breathe form into every particle and force known to nature (including elusive gravity) hardly even appear anymore on chalkboards at conferences. At last year’s big annual string theory meeting, the Stanford University string theorist Eva Silverstein was amused to find she was one of the few giving a talk “on string theory proper,” she said.

Now, this isn't to say that the mathematics of string theory haven't proven useful elsewhere. From the same article:

Using the physical intuition offered by strings, physicists produced a powerful formula for getting the answer to the embedded sphere question, and much more. “They got at these formulas using tools that mathematicians don’t allow,” Córdova said. Then, after string theorists found an answer, the mathematicians proved it on their own terms. “This is a kind of experiment,” he explained. “It’s an internal mathematical experiment.” Not only was the stringy solution not wrong, it led to Fields Medal-winning mathematics. “This keeps happening,” he said.

I've been hearing versions of both these claims for years: String theory proper seems to has failed to make testable predictions, and it has gradually become less popular among theoretical physicists as an actual description of reality. But the underlying math has proven to be very useful elsewhere, and it genuinely interesting just as pure mathematics.

However, the experts certainly disagree on these issues, which is why I said "some would disagree." I was merely using string theory as an example of a multi-decade movement in a hard science that doesn't seem to have been as successful as researchers originally hoped. Reasonable people could clearly disagree, of course!

Josquin wrote:How firm is your grasp on psychology, which may be a "soft" science, but is a science nevertheless.

In general, as I said, I'm an enormous fan of some of the mathematical work done in experimental psychology. In this matter, I was significantly influenced by Hany Farid, a researcher in image processing and machine learning, who sometimes took the time to talk about mathematical techniques used in other fields. In some cases, I have a working knowledge of a rudimentary mathematical technique (such as principal component analysis), and psychologists use a much more sophistic version of the same technique (which generalizes the basic idea to, IIRC, non-linear hypersurfaces), and I don't understand the more sophisticated version. My whole point in my original post is that experimental psychology has some amazingly sophisticated mathematical methods. And yet, experimental psychology has been badly hammered by the replication crisis. This is not a controversial claim on my part. The replication crisis is generally acknowledged by many researchers in the field. You can start here if you're interested.

Josquin wrote:And what's your stance on the humanities, pray?! Where there are no statistical and mathematical approaches possible?

I assume this is a rhetorical question. But I approve of literature and art, and I enjoy them? Math is only useful for certain sorts of tasks, including things like predictions, modeling the physical world, and evaluating alternative methods of doing things. To choose an example from linguistics, I can't personally imagine any way that Egyptian grammar could be made more useful by adding a lot of math.

As for my complaints about the SLA papers I've seen, I'd love to list a few examples, with specific criticisms. But doing this would take a while, because I lost my old bookmarks, and it will take a while to track down the specific papers that I read, re-read them, and make sure that I still agree with all my earlier concerns.

But just to give another example, let me pick on poor Krashen again, because many of his papers are nicely indexed online, and I can find them again easily. Now, I really like Krashen's work, but much of it is just case studies from various classrooms. Sometimes he'll publish a p-value, but as he points out, "Obvious flaws in these studies are that no comparison group was used, and there were only six to seven participants." But just as often, he'll publish a case study of three students, or summarize his own personal experiences as a learner. I think these papers are interesting, but they don't really prove very much.

Or if we look at the benefits of language learning (not technically SLA, I believe?), a lot of the benefits of bilingualism have recently become controversial after a failure to reproduce some of the original studies.

Like I said, I'm certainly not an expert. My sample of papers is undoubtedly biased towards ones that get written up the media, which means I'm probably not looking at the best papers in the field. But my fundamental intuitions say that things like "no comparison group" or "only six to seven participants" are warnings that a study may be suggestive but not conclusive.

But at the end of the day, given the sheer number of hugely influential and widely respected papers in experimental psychology that have proven difficult to reproduce, I feel like it's worth being careful in other fields. I'm really not trying to be a jerk about this or anything, and I'd always be happy to look at links to SLA studies that people think are particularly important or solid. But I hope I've at least clarified the reasons for my earlier remarks. And thank you all for the discussion, which has definitely been interesting!
2 x

Adrianslont
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Learning Indonesian and French

Postby Adrianslont » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:36 am

Serpent wrote:
aokoye wrote:Linguistics isn't, by in large, about the researcher learning languages. "How many languages do you speak?" is not a logical question to ask a linguist (despite the question being common enough that linguists who don't know eachother use their frustration of that question as an ice breaker) because that's not what linguistics is about.

:evil:

Haha. Nice cartoon. And it reminds me of the fact that a majority of obstetricians have never had a baby because they are biologically incapable of doing so - yet most people place great faith in them.

Closer to the topic at hand - I will add some scattershot thoughts:

Like emk I find most SLA research dodgy -
as he says: small sample sizes, made up languages, poor stats and so on. I might add that I think they often ask the wrong questions, or at least questions of limited worth/ROI (especially psychologists who work in language acquisition)

Like Aoyoke I think description is really really important. It’s quite possible to learn more from a good description and a bit of theorising than from a poorly conceived piece of quantative research, even if the stats are beautifully done.

I want to mention Michael Halliday’s “Learning How to Mean” where he describes and theorises the first language development of one subject, his son, because it brings together my two comments above. Halliday’s work here is basically a sample of one subject but longitudinal and carried out by a man of great insight. It presents a view of language acquisition that is broad rather than focused on minutiae, focused on meaning and how it is expressed in form rather than form only. It is quite plausible and well worth trying to replicate, discuss and challenge - but most child language research focuses on minutiae. This piece of work is worth so much more to me than all the research that tells us that children lose the ability to discriminate between allophones at x months. Ruqaiya Hasan carries out research on how mothers of middle class and lower class backgrounds talked differently to their children - with larger samples and stats and with a similar focus on meaning as Halliday (her husband).

We could mention lots of other researchers, Nation and Krashen have been mentioned but I added these two because I think they illustrate the point that good research isn’t just about good stats and control groups (indeed you may not need either) but also about good theorising, asking pertinent questions and rigour of a sort other than statistical. And because some people on this forum might enjoy their work on first language acquisition.

Evidently, Halliday is quite a whizz at Mandarin, Cantonese dialects and other languages, too - and language learning and teaching led his becoming a linguist.
3 x

s_allard
Blue Belt
Languages: French (N), English (N), Spanish (C2 Cert.), German (B2 Cert)

Postby s_allard » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:06 am

In my opinion, there seems to be a position here that science implies mathematical or quantitative methods and then anything that does not use these methods cannot be scientific. I disagree strongly. Certain areas of knowledge lend themselves to statistical or mathematical analyses. Others don't because of fundamental epistemological disagreements.

Linguistics or the study of human language, and the specific subfield of foreign language acquisition, is a case in point. We can certainly apply statistical methods to certain aspects, usually the counting of some kinds of tokens but we still are stuck with fundamental disagreements over very basic concepts such as what is a word, what is meaning, what is understanding, etc. Even something that seems straight-forward as measuring vocabulary is fraught with major conceptual difficulties.

But more importantly there are different schools of linguistics and all sorts of different perspectives on many things. For example in French there is a current of thought called la lingüistique énonciative that is very interesting and enlightening.

So while we may envy the mathematical neatness of many other discipline we must accept the fact that in the area of human language we still a very long way to go. But it can still all be science.
6 x

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)

Postby Cainntear » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:35 am

Adrianslont wrote:We could mention lots of other researchers, Nation and Krashen have been mentioned but I added these two because I think they illustrate the point that good research isn’t just about good stats and control groups (indeed you may not need either) but also about good theorising, asking pertinent questions and rigour of a sort other than statistical.

No-one was arguing any differently, as far as I can see.

emk didn't say anything against qualitative research, but was instead complaining about the poor statistical validity of research that attempts/claims to be quantitative. If you generalise wildly from a small sample set, that's bad science; if you aggregate your figures across (for example) multiple schoolss and identify patterns in the aggregate figures but don't demonstrate that these patterns hold and are repeated in individual schools, that's bad science.

aokoye interpreted that as an attack on qualitative research, which was a bit of a stretch.

I responded by attempting to say that qualitative research is fine, but has very little value without quantitative research to back it up, and I stand by that: a hypothesis must be testable if it is to be of any use.

All basic schools of thought in language learning are proven to the level of "does it get students through exams?" and so we know the difference between "adequate" and "bad" methodologies at a very high and vague level.

For example, the so-called "natural methods" were largely abandoned a century ago (and so about 70 years before Krashen's heyday) because kids weren't learning as well as reviois generations had through grammar translation. This was clear and obvious from exam scores, so the quantitative data said "stop doing it". The qualitative question of why it didn't work remained, and the debate was whether "natural" methods were less effective overall than methods that involved conscious study, or whether natural methods were superior, but required more concentrated exposure to language than was available in schools (e.g need: all day everyday, have: one hour every Monday, Wednesday and Friday).

The fact that emk is more interested in the quantitative research than the qualitative is perfectly OK -- quantitative research presents evidence for theories that often originate in qualitative studies. Therefore reading quantitative research introduces you to the conclusions of qualitative research only when there is evidence for or against it, which seems perfectly reasonable to me.

Can someone give a sound argument why someone not actively researching the field would benefit from reading qualitative research that isn't supported by empirical evidence?
1 x

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)

Postby Cainntear » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:57 am

s_allard wrote:Even something that seems straight-forward as measuring vocabulary is fraught with major conceptual difficulties.

True, and that is why good qualitative research will state its assumptions. Even hard science produces proofs that are predicated on unproven assumptions and stand as theories that are given practical use while waiting for their assumptions to be proven correct (there's even an argument that 1+1=2 is fundamentally unprovable, therefore all mathematical proofs are based on unprovable assumptions).

Most things in SLA can be measured, even if just by asking whether a certain type of intervention improves exam marks. Krashen's been beating the drum for Comprehensible Input for decades with lots of bold assertions and, as emk says, no reliable quantitative data. He could have collected lots of quantitative data if he'd wanted, but he didn't, and his opponents did. I'll go with the data, thanks.

But more importantly there are different schools of linguistics and all sorts of different perspectives on many things. For example in French there is a current of thought called la lingüistique énonciative that is very interesting and enlightening.

Yes, and like with Systemic Functional Linguistics, ways of reasoning, discussing and describing observed phenomena don't have to be right or wrong -- they just expand our expressiveness.

..but sometimes they can have measureable effects. For example, after studying SFL and lexicogrammar, my ability to learn foreign languages accurately and to a more native-like standard shot up -- because the books that present things in a so-called "functional" way didn't discuss what attitude a particular wordform or turn-of-phrase expressed towards the other party (apart from a brief "polite", "formal" or "informal") and instead left me swimming in a sea of unexplained presumed synonyms. I imagine someone's probably already done some kind of study demonstrating the effects of linguistics training on second language acquisition (very easy to do given that many universities will have joint degrees in Linguistics and French and International Relations and French, for example.

Damn it. Now I've gone and tricked myself into having another topic to distract myself from more pressing matters. Nonono... I'm not going to let myself look for that type of research! ;-)
1 x

Adrianslont
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Learning Indonesian and French

Postby Adrianslont » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:22 pm

Cainntear wrote:
Adrianslont wrote:We could mention lots of other researchers, Nation and Krashen have been mentioned but I added these two because I think they illustrate the point that good research isn’t just about good stats and control groups (indeed you may not need either) but also about good theorising, asking pertinent questions and rigour of a sort other than statistical.

No-one was arguing any differently, as far as I can see.

emk didn't say anything against qualitative research, but was instead complaining about the poor statistical validity of research that attempts/claims to be quantitative. If you generalise wildly from a small sample set, that's bad science; if you aggregate your figures across (for example) multiple schoolss and identify patterns in the aggregate figures but don't demonstrate that these patterns hold and are repeated in individual schools, that's bad science.

aokoye interpreted that as an attack on qualitative research, which was a bit of a stretch.

I responded by attempting to say that qualitative research is fine, but has very little value without quantitative research to back it up, and I stand by that: a hypothesis must be testable if it is to be of any use.

All basic schools of thought in language learning are proven to the level of "does it get students through exams?" and so we know the difference between "adequate" and "bad" methodologies at a very high and vague level.

For example, the so-called "natural methods" were largely abandoned a century ago (and so about 70 years before Krashen's heyday) because kids weren't learning as well as reviois generations had through grammar translation. This was clear and obvious from exam scores, so the quantitative data said "stop doing it". The qualitative question of why it didn't work remained, and the debate was whether "natural" methods were less effective overall than methods that involved conscious study, or whether natural methods were superior, but required more concentrated exposure to language than was available in schools (e.g need: all day everyday, have: one hour every Monday, Wednesday and Friday).

The fact that emk is more interested in the quantitative research than the qualitative is perfectly OK -- quantitative research presents evidence for theories that often originate in qualitative studies. Therefore reading quantitative research introduces you to the conclusions of qualitative research only when there is evidence for or against it, which seems perfectly reasonable to me.

Can someone give a sound argument why someone not actively researching the field would benefit from reading qualitative research that isn't supported by empirical evidence?

Damn, I just lost a long reply and I’m not going to rewrite it all. In short:
I never disputed anything emk said.
I never argued against good quantitative research.
I think Aoyoke was just “filling out the picture”. Lots of people in this world need reminding / need to hear that qualitative research is a thing and is important.
I was trying to fill out the picture a bit myself.
I’m struggling to understand your last sentence. Are you saying only researchers should read qualitative research?
1 x

s_allard
Blue Belt
Languages: French (N), English (N), Spanish (C2 Cert.), German (B2 Cert)

Postby s_allard » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:59 pm

Cainntear wrote:...

Let's do a bit of qualitative research here. I am curious as to what some of evidence backs up this broad assertion about so-called "natural" methods being abandoned 100 years ago. It would seem that around 1918 the field of foreign language instruction abandoned previous methods on the grounds of poor exam results of students when compared to the results of previous generations using something else.

A very cursory look at the history of language education in North America and Great Britain says that this is not true. Nothing of the sort happened. Here is a very brief historical outline:
http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.950.4156&rep=rep1&type=pdf

In fact, the turn of the 20th century saw the development in Germany and France of the Direct Approach sometimes called the Natural Method, as in:

The direct method of teaching, which is sometimes called the natural method, and is often (but not exclusively) used in teaching foreign languages, refrains from using the learners' native language and uses only the target language. It was established in Germany and France around 1900 and contrasts with the grammar–translation method and other traditional approaches, as well as with C.J.Dodson's bilingual method. It was adopted by key international language schools such as Berlitz and Inlingua in the 1970s and many of the language departments of the Foreign Service Institute of the U.S. State Department in 2012.[1]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_method_(education)

In fact the term natural method is more closely associated with Stephen Krashen's work. Here's a brief summary:

The natural approach is a method of language teaching developed by Stephen Krashen and Tracy Terrell in the late 1970s and early 1980s. It aims to foster naturalistic language acquisition in a classroom setting, and to this end it emphasises communication, and places decreased importance on conscious grammar study and explicit correction of student errors. Efforts are also made to make the learning environment as stress-free as possible. In the natural approach, language output is not forced, but allowed to emerge spontaneously after students have attended to large amounts of comprehensible language input.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_approach

Edit: italicize second quote
1 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”