The pros and cons of expert academic opinion

General discussion about learning languages
aokoye
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), German (~C1), French (Intermediate), Japanese (N4), Swedish (beginner), Dutch (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19262

Re: The pros and cons of expert academic opinion

Postby aokoye » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:25 pm

Cainntear wrote:emk didn't say anything against qualitative research, but was instead complaining about the poor statistical validity of research that attempts/claims to be quantitative. If you generalise wildly from a small sample set, that's bad science; if you aggregate your figures across (for example) multiple schoolss and identify patterns in the aggregate figures but don't demonstrate that these patterns hold and are repeated in individual schools, that's bad science.

aokoye interpreted that as an attack on qualitative research, which was a bit of a stretch.

I responded by attempting to say that qualitative research is fine, but has very little value without quantitative research to back it up, and I stand by that: a hypothesis must be testable if it is to be of any use.

To say that I interpreted what emk said as an "attack" is a bit of a stretch. I disagreed and pointed out that qualitative research is valid, but that is different than interpreting that as an attack.
1 x
Prefered gender pronouns: Masculine

emk
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2+)
Badly neglected "just for fun" languages: Middle Egyptian, Spanish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=723

Postby emk » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:01 pm

aokoye wrote:To say that I interpreted what emk said as an "attack" is a bit of a stretch. I disagreed and pointed out that qualitative research is valid, but that is different than interpreting that as an attack.

Also, please keep in mind the typical sources of the SLA papers that I've read may be biasing my conclusions: I've typically seen something reported in the news, or perhaps somebody mentioned a study, and I dug up the original paper. I don't imagine for a minute that this represents any kind of systematic literature search or proper reading effort. It will tend to bias me towards some combination of:

• Trendy new papers being promoted by university PR departments, which may be very different from what SLA researchers are actually interested in.
  • Older papers with higher citation counts, which biases me towards a lot of work from the 80s and 90s, which may not be representative of modern rigor.
  • Papers which use brain imaging to try conclude something about SLA, because science journalists and readers love that stuff, and it gets promoted far more widely than other kinds of studies. But these studies are challenging to do well, so again, this may not be the best work in the field.
Obviously, this might lead to a very unfair perception of SLA research. So if anybody has any suggestions for good survey papers or current SLA textbooks that they really like, I'm always happy to take a look and learn.
0 x

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Postby Cainntear » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:46 pm

s_allard wrote:A very cursory look at the history of language education in North America and Great Britain says that this is not true. Nothing of the sort happened. Here is a very brief historical outline:
http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.950.4156&rep=rep1&type=pdf

"Nothing of the sort happened" is a very bold and definitive assertion to make after a mere "very cursory look" at the topic.

Wilfried Decoo wrote:I described what happened in the last quarter of the 19th century. This vast movement of change was called the Reform movement with the Direct Method as its main approach. Overall the principles were: immediate contact with the target language, lively interaction, no translation, no word-lists, inductive rule-formation for grammar, emphasis on oral use. All over the Western world ministries of education and professional organizations adopted these principles under various names and variants: reformed method, phonetic method, intuitive method, natural method… .

And then, in the early years of the 20th century, came the decline and death of the Direct Method, in spite of all the enthusiasm that it had engendered in many countries.

There were two main reasons for it:

1. The growing disappointment by teachers when the promises were not fulfilled: even after several years of direct language learning, large numbers of students remained at a level of frustrating inadequacy. In 1909 Breymann and Steinmuller, who had thoroughly documented the movement, summarized its downfall as follows: "The Reform has fulfilled its mission. It has laid the ghosts of the grammatical method, which made a fetish of the study of grammar with excessive attention to translation… But what the grammatical method neglected, practical and correct use of the spoken language, the reform movement has pushed to extremes. In making mastery of the spoken language the chief objective, the nature and function of secondary schools was overlooked, because such an objective under normal conditions of mass instruction is only attainable in a modest degree… . Average pupils, not to mention weaker ones… soon weary, are overburdened and revolt. Early adherents of the new method, after their enthusiasm has been dashed by stern realities, have gradually broken away" (cited in Titone 1968:39).

The next year, 1910, the Direct Method received its coup de grâce in Paris: an international conference of language teachers voted overwhelmingly to abolish it.

http://www.didascalia.be/mortality.htm

s_allard wrote:In fact, the turn of the 20th century saw the development in Germany and France of the Direct Approach sometimes called the Natural Method, as in:

This wikipedia article puts it too late. Decoo identifies sources stretching back to 1867 for the founding of the "direct method".
The term "direct method" (not "approach") is the most common name, but as you yourself can see, there were plenty at the time calling it the "natural method". I chose to use this latter term specifically because of Krashen's later use of the term -- I really want to underline how little difference I see between the arguments Krashen presents and those given by (for example) Otto Jespersen in 1904.

Compare your Wikipedia description of Krashen's "natural approach" with how Decoo describes the direct/natural method:
Wikipedia wrote:The natural approach is a method of language teaching developed by Stephen Krashen and Tracy Terrell in the late 1970s and early 1980s. It aims to foster naturalistic language acquisition in a classroom setting, and to this end it emphasises communication, and places decreased importance on conscious grammar study and explicit correction of student errors. Efforts are also made to make the learning environment as stress-free as possible. In the natural approach, language output is not forced, but allowed to emerge spontaneously after students have attended to large amounts of comprehensible language input.

Decoo wrote:Overall the principles were: immediate contact with the target language, lively interaction, no translation, no word-lists, inductive rule-formation for grammar, emphasis on oral use.

These are very similar, are they not?

Edit: disambiguating quotes
4 x

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:31 am

SLA RESEARCH IN THE CLASSROOM/SLA RESEARCH FOR THE CLASSROOM

By Patsy M. Lightbrown
Department of Applied Linguistics
Concordia University
Montreal, Canada
Anniversary article. Classroom SLA research and second language teaching

In Lightbown (1985a), I summarized SLA research by stating ten generalizations which were consistent with the research to that date.¹ I concluded that SLA research could not serve as the basis for telling teachers what to teach or how. One of the reasons for that was the limited scope of SLA research at the time. Another reason was that most of the research had not been designed to answer pedagogical questions. However, I suggested that SLA research was one important source of information which would help teachers set appropriate expectations for themselves and their students. In this paper, following a review of language teaching practices of the past fifty years, I reassess the ten generalizations in light of the considerable amount of classroom-based SLA research which has been carried out since 1985, especially that which has addressed pedagogical concerns in primary and secondary school foreign and second language classes. For the most part, this research tends to add further support to the generalizations, and this gives them greater pedagogical relevance. Nevertheless, I argue that teachers need to continue to draw on many other kinds of knowledge and experience in determining the teaching practices which are appropriate for their classroom.

1. Adults and adolescents can ‘acquire’ a second language

Krashen (1982 and elsewhere) made a distinction between acquisition (language knowledge that develops incidentally as learners focus on meaning in comprehensible input) and learning (knowledge about language gained through formal instruction or metalinguistic analysis). Research has provided support for the hypothesis that second language (L2) learners acquire some linguistic features without intentional effort on their part or pedagogical intervention on the teacher’s part...

2. The learner creates a systematic interlanguage which is often characterised by the same systematic errors as a child makes when learning that language as his/her first language, as well as others which appear to be based on the learner’s own native language...

3. There are predictable sequences in L2 acquisition such that certain structures have to be acquired before others can be integrated

Classroom research has added support to the early SLA research evidence that many linguistic features are acquired according to a “developmental sequence” and that although learners’ progress through a sequence may be speeded up by form-focused instruction, the sequence that they follow is not substantially altered by instruction (e.g. R. Ellis, 1989). When classroom input is very restricted or when learners’ production consists largely of memorised formulas, there is sometimes the appearance of difference (Weinert, 1987). The restricted or distorted samples of the target language that learners are exposed to in some types of language instruction can lead to a developmental path that appears to reflect the acquisition of something other than the target language...

4. Practice does not make perfect

This does not mean that practice, broadly defined, is not an essential part of language learning! In stating this generalisation in 1985, I was thinking of practice as it was often defined in audio-lingual classrooms – pattern practice and drill in isolation from meaningful language use. As suggested under generalisation number 3, when learners drill and memorise language material that is beyond their current level of development, they may eventually exhibit “U-shaped” behaviour (Kellerman, 1985). That is, their apparently high level of accuracy, based on the use of memorized chunks, can drop and then rise again as they come to create novel sentences. Even when instruction is not oriented to the rote learning of whole phrases or sentences, learners may have difficulty recognising the components which make up the chunks of language they are frequently exposed to....

5. Knowing a language rule does not mean one will be able to use it in communicative interaction

The relationship between knowing “rules” for language use and actually using language in a way that is consistent with those rules is not straightforward. Native speakers use language fluently and accurately but are rarely able to articulate the rules that characterise their use of the language. Second language learners who have had extensive instruction in the language may, in contrast, be able to articulate rules that their spontaneous language use does not reflect. However, classroom SLA research has shown that learners do benefit from instruction that focuses their attention explicitly on language form, albeit not necessarily in the form of “rule” learning

6. Isolated explicit error correction is usually ineffective in changing language behaviour

Learners’ spontaneous language use does not suddenly change when they are told that they have made an error. This does not mean, however, that feedback on error is not beneficial. The evidence suggests that error feedback can be an effective type of form-focused teaching if it is focused on something that learners are actually capable of learning and sustained over time...

7. For most adult learners, acquisition stops ... before the learner has achieved native-like mastery of the target language

... and ...

8. One cannot achieve native-like (or near native like) command of a second language in one hour a day

The Critical Period Hypothesis – that post-puberty learners of a second language will always be distinguishable from learners who have had sustained substantial exposure beginning in early childhood – continues to find support in research that focuses on the long-term outcomes of L2 learning (see Long, 1990 for a review)5. The Critical Period Hypothesis is often interpreted simplistically as “younger is better” for L2 acquisition. However, in the context of the foreign language classroom, the relevance of the Critical Period Hypothesis is questionable. Native-like mastery of a target language is rarely attained, even when learners begin foreign language instruction at an early age. There are many reasons for this.

Research in Quebec has shown that students who had intensive exposure to the second language near the end of elementary school have an advantage over those whose instruction was thinly spread out over a longer period of time. That is, even though students began at the same age and received a comparable number of hours of instruction, the more compact instruction was more effective... Similar results have been observed in French immersion (Genesee, 1987; Turnbull et al., 1998)....

9. The learner’s task is enormous because language is enormously complex

Learning the vocabulary, morphology, syntax and pronunciation of a new language is a very great challenge, and many students never achieve mastery of these aspects of a foreign language. As noted above, native speakers and learners who are exposed to a second language in their family or community from early childhood will have thousands of hours of exposure to the language, while classroom learners usually count their exposure in terms of hundreds of hours at best. The magnitude of the task of learning a second language, especially one that belongs to a different language family, can hardly be overstated. To be sure, there are individual differences in language learning aptitude, and these differences make the task more manageable for some learners than for others. Even for “talented” learners, however, language learning is a lifelong challenge. Furthermore, learning a language means more than learning vocabulary and morphosyntax...

10. A learner’s ability to understand language in a meaningful context exceeds his/her ability to comprehend decontextualised language and to produce language of comparable complexity and accuracy

There is plenty of evidence that learners are able to get the meaning from the language they hear, even if they do not understand all of the linguistic features that contribute to making the meaning. They do this by using contextual cues and world knowledge. This is a very positive factor in the success of CLT and CBLT. However, a number of researchers have observed that some features of language either develop quite slowly, or never seem to develop fully, in learners who are exposed to the language in contexts where the emphasis is exclusively on getting the meaning and never (or almost never) on learning specific linguistic features. This may be due to the very low frequency of some linguistic forms in classroom interaction or to other limitations inherent in the types of interactions which occur in classrooms. Swain (1988) found that teachers in French immersion classes often used the historical present or future while teaching history lessons, thereby reducing the frequency with which students were exposed to past tense forms in contexts referring to past events.

VanPatten has gone beyond Krashen’s hypothesis by making a more precise claim about the kind of comprehensible input that is beneficial to learners. His pedagogical recommendations are also different. Unlike Krashen, he does not assume that learners will find the input they need when they simply get the general meaning of the utterances they hear. Instead, VanPatten argues that input must be adapted in very specific ways so that learners will process it for language acquisition as well as for comprehension...

CONCLUSION

There is a rich literature of SLA research that can help shape teachers’ expectations for themselves and their students, and provide valuable clues to effective pedagogical practice. Nonetheless, there remain a number of concerns regarding the application of research findings to classroom practice, and Hatch’s (1978) admonition to “apply with caution” is as pertinent now as it was then.

Unfortunately, such caution is not always used. For example, Truscott (1996, 1999) uses SLA research findings to support the recommendation that feedback on error has no place in the FL/SL classroom, and Krashen (1989) claims that research confirms that pleasure reading will eliminate the need for guided instruction in L2 vocabulary acquisition. In my view, such recommendations for pedagogical practice are not consistent with much classroom SLA research cited above. Furthermore, they encourage teachers to engage in pedagogical behaviour that is not compatible with their understanding of their role as teachers. This is not to say that anything that goes against teachers’ intuitions is incorrect. For one thing, our pedagogical intuitions are partly shaped by the theories of language acquisition on which our own training was based. Current research challenges those theories, and future research is quite likely to challenge the views we hold now. Thus, it is completely appropriate for teachers and researchers to question intuitions about FL/SL pedagogy and to explore their validity. But when researchers make strong claims that are at odds with the views teachers have developed through their experience with learners, and when those claims are made on the basis of research that has been done in contexts that do not reflect reality as the teachers know it, they are likely to alienate teachers and lead them to dismiss researchers as ivory tower oddities.

Since 1985, much SLA research has addressed pedagogical concerns, and many young teachers will have SLA as one component of their knowledge base for teaching. This component will shape their expectations about what they can achieve in the classroom. However, it is only when they have tried out some of the pedagogical applications suggested by SLA research that they will understand what it really means for their own teaching context. SLA research is an important source of ideas for SL/FL teaching, but it is not the only or even the principal source of information to guide teachers in the art and science of SL/FL teaching. Differences in both the opportunity and the need to use the language outside of school, differences in L1 literacy experiences, differences in L1-L2 language distance, differences in the organisation of the school and classroom, and many other factors contribute to differences in the kinds of classroom practices which will be effective in different contexts. The existence of these different realities reinforces the need for more classroom-based research in an even wider range of contexts. There is a great need for replication studies in many areas of research (Valdman, 1993) and this need is particularly acute in classroom SLA research. Pedagogical innovations must be implemented and adapted according to local conditions including the strengths of individual teachers and students, the available resources, the age of the learners, and the time available for teaching.

https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... _classroom

The Role of SLA Research in L2 Teaching: Reply to Sheen
https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... y_to_Sheen
2 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”