HTLAL vs LLORG

General discussion about learning languages
mick33
Orange Belt
Languages: First language: English
Languages I'm focusing on learning now: Italian.
Languages I'm learning but not focusing on: Afrikaans, Polish, Finnish Turkish, Spanish, Swedish, Catalan, Hungarian, Russian.
Just for fun I sometimes learn a little of: Hindi, Japanese, Indonesian, Georgian, Thai etc.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=762

Re: HTLAL vs LLORG

Postby mick33 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:01 am

I joined HTLAL in September 2008. I joined because I was looking for advice on how to learn two languages at once. I figured that I would read a few posts, then learn Afrikaans and Spanish entirely on my own and just live my life without the forum. How wrong I was about that! ;). What actually happened was that I couldn't stop reading random discussion threads. It's hard to say that any one person inspired me, because almost every post I read made me feel excited about language learning and I began to believe that I could easily learn many languages myself. This led me to a few conclusions:
    1. There really are a few people who seem to believe that language learning is life and everything else is just minor details.
    2. I was probably not going to spend my life that way, but I could certainly learn way more than two languages.
    3. I should start a log and write about my language learning thoughts and activities.
    4. The sometimes academic debates and discussions were often intriguing, informative and entertaining; but I was about halfway through a bachelors degree in psychology, (which I still have yet to finish) not linguistics. So I would post mostly in logs but otherwise I would do more reading than commenting (and I still think this is a good idea for me).

Thinking back now, I believe that I joined during a transition period where there was still mostly the more formal academic discussion phase at first. Next came what I will call the "polyglot moment" phase (with YouTube polyglots and the Conferences and Gatherings) and finally to the more practical communal discussions phase that continues here. It seems to me that the rise in activity on HTLAL was due to it being one of the first major meeting places for polyglots on the internet (along with Unilang, Lingq forum, YouTube videos, a few popular blogs and other places) and helped lead to the media attention and organizing the Conferences and Gatherings. After many polyglots met in person I wonder if they decided they stopped needing the forums to discuss language learning.

I do sometimes miss the academic debates of old but I really enjoy this forum too, and the people I've met.

Edited a couple of times because the one downside to me becoming a wannabe polyglot is making many typos in my first language.
Last edited by mick33 on Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
9 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Re: HTLAL vs LLORG

Postby zenmonkey » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:41 am

s_allard wrote:Recently I've found myself starting posts on this forum and halfway through saying to myself: Why am I bothering? After all, why put all this time and effort into something that doesn't lead to much debate and can even lead to nasty remarks. Who needs this grief?

I'm sorry you feel this way. I enjoy reading your posts and I know I'm not alone.
10 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

Return to “General Language Discussion”