What Makes a Good Log?

General discussion about learning languages
Xenops
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Danish (A2), Japanese (rusty), Nansha (constructing)
On break: Japanese (approx. N4), Norwegian (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16797

What Makes a Good Log?

Postby Xenops » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:41 pm

Aside from this:
http://www.yourlanguageconnection.com/blog/christmas-traditions-french-yule-log-cake/

Or this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tió_de_Nadal

When you look at someone's language log, what do you expect to see? What makes a good log versus a not-so-good log?

I confess that I'm impressed when someone writes entries in his target language, and I also appreciate reading about the learning methods.

And you? :)
9 x
Check out my comic at: https://atannan.com/

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Re: What Makes a Good Log?

Postby smallwhite » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:28 am

Has a first post that describes the person's learning background or links to their previous log that does so. Then when I read about their achievements and passing exams, I can click to the OP to see how long it had taken them, how they had been learning, etc. Most logs don't do that so I must be the only person who clicks back to OPs to compare results against effort...

I prefer logs that reflect on the learning process to logs that go "I did chapter 5 today, fullstop".

Logs written with the reader in mind and with the aim to share are a lot nicer to read.

I avoid reading things written by non-natives so I don't like logs in L2s.

I confuse some forum members (esp ones who aren't active in General Discussions), so I like log posts with consistent, distinct format as they help tell people apart.
9 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:13 am

Log posts make up more than one-third of total forum posts, btw. So, log posts are a large part of what LLorg is, not enforcing forum rules on logs means not enforcing forum rules in 1/3 of the forum, etc.
0 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

cathrynm
Orange Belt
Languages: Japanese(JLPT N3), Finnish(beginner), English(native)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=721

Postby cathrynm » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:17 am

I don't worry about it. For me, all about 'showing up.'
3 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:05 am

smallwhite wrote:not enforcing forum rules on logs means not enforcing forum rules in 1/3 of the forum, etc.
If you have any specific concerns please just report the post(s) :) It's double important in the log section because it's hard to keep up, because we do allow more leeway (not the same as not enforcing the rules), and because the posts are in various languages.
2 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

sillygoose1
Green Belt
Languages: _
NA: English
C2: French
C1: German, Italian, Spanish
B2: Russian, Portuguese
A2: Japanese
A1: Mandarin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=751

Postby sillygoose1 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:06 am

I personally really enjoy finding out about new authors or directors the most. However, I do really like when people encounter a problem and go into detail on fixing it especially if it's one I've had or have
4 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:55 am

For me, there are a few basic things - the log is structured in paragraphs or breaks making it readable, in a language I'm working on or already master and it isn't just a checklist of completed work.

I like to read:

- about the person's experience with language - places there are using it, people they are meeting, the books they are enjoying and the why of all that in xxx language.
- struggles and solutions or discussions about method, areas people get stuck, how they work things out.
- both successes and failures what works and what doesn't.
- an ongoing thread about the person's life that gives me insight to the individual, their environment and motivation
- interactions from others, logs are, in my opinion, enriched when input comes from readers to address questions or bring in another person's experience. It's the interaction that matters.
- content - the actual subjects of the material that a person is working on. If someone is interested in skydiving or mathematical models or the latest video from K-Pop and they experienced it through Latvian or Pirahã, the content subject matter may be hit or miss but it is likely to grab my attention.
- a bit of metrics - if the person is consistently doing yy number of anki cards over extended periods of time or is already writing thousands of words it's nice to see. (If that is the only thing in the log, it's a little boring)

Having said all that - I don't judge logs or make expectations, it's a personal decision of what one wants to put in there or has time to do. It's just what I enjoy reading. And I know that sometimes, personally, I don't write for others and my own log is all over the place.
17 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

Axon
Blue Belt
Languages: Native English, in order of comfort: Mandarin, German, Indonesian,
Spanish, French, Russian,
Cantonese, Vietnamese, Polish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5086

Postby Axon » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:07 am

I really like metrics like pages or minutes. It's also great when people stick to series or books for a long time and talk about how they've improved over time.

These are not things I do in my log :?
3 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:18 am

smallwhite wrote:Log posts make up more than one-third of total forum posts, btw. So, log posts are a large part of what LLorg is, not enforcing forum rules on logs means not enforcing forum rules in 1/3 of the forum, etc.

Slight correction. The rules are enforced, we just give some additional leeway because it is your personal log. But trust me people have had warnings and people have been banned for things which appear in their logs.
7 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:37 am

Well, since I read all of them I can tell you the ones I read first. This isn't a suggestion about how to write in your log, it is just my personal preferences.

I prefer ones which are paragraphs and conversations rather than bullet pointed lists of items done. The ones which read like a blog are the easiest to read, since they are more conversational. Frequently the writers of these logs ask the reader for advice, or comments. This makes more people participate, and means the reader is following a conversation. Some people do write bullet lists of things they have done, but they put commentary along with the bullets. This is useful because you gain some insight into how they are using resources and what methods they are using.

One thing about writing in your log is you often wonder if anyone is actually reading the thing, and if there is any point. Don't be discouraged if nobody replies since we have a lot of lurkers who read but don't participate. If your post gets a like then you at least know someone is reading. My advice to new log writers is this.

Write about your achievements and your issues with languages since your last post. Try to engage your readers with some questions. This is a good practice because it gets you feedback on what your are doing and you can get some really brilliant advice about an issue specific to yourself. If you ask a question on the general area you'll get general advice, but typically the readers of your log are learning or know the same language that you're learning.

I also like people who consistently post, as do others. I remember Radioclare told me on the old forum she got confused when I started posting on a Tuesday instead of Thursdays because I was part of her Thursday reading list. :)

• Write in paragraphs like you would a letter.
  • Write to someone, an imaginary reader and tell them about yoru day, week, month.
  • Solicit comments and questions.
  • Post consistently
  • Tell the reader what materials your using (since we might be learning the same language and want to buy it)
  • Give the occasional review of things you've used, films you've watched, books your reading, etc.
17 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Return to “General Language Discussion”