What Makes a Good Log?

General discussion about learning languages
Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Re: What Makes a Good Log?

Postby Iversen » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:03 pm

I can't read all logs, and I definitely prefer the more verbose ones that also include remarks about hints about learning circumstances, thoughts about different learning methods, books/films/music people have accessed through their target languages and travel experiences. I'm not very interested in logs that just list pages read and things like that, one reason being that I personally don't study in a way that can be summarized as a page count.

As for writing in your target languages it should be fairly obvious where I stand: I read most logs and threads in other languages than English, and I frankly don't think that seeing the errors in those threads harm me in any way. If I see fairly long stretches of text in languages I can't read without help I often use Google translate to get some idea about the message - not only as part of my moderator obligations, but because I simply enjoy seeing people having fun with their languages.

People may of course prefer other kinds of logs than the one I represent, but keeping my own log running is an important part of my own language learning, - both as a motivation factor and as training in writing in other languages. I would find it boring just to write in English (or Danish). Even finding relevant images is part of the fun.
5 x

Ольга
Green Belt
Languages: English, French, German, Greek, Portuguese
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6206

Postby Ольга » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:27 pm

All the usual: Reading logs for me is the best way of self-motivation and inspiration, the source of new methods and ideas, the tips of advice for what kind of textbooks, books, audiobooks, newspapers, magazines, blogs, movies, and songs to choose for learning, the practical ways of how to overcome procrastination, the library of useful links, the source of good-natured humor, etc.
The only thing which I desperately need and sometimes cannot find (my log lacks that as well) is some kind of structure, logical organization of a log. I still don't know how to use tags and sometimes cannot shape my ideas in a right order and form. I wish I could learn how to use tags quickly to make my log more readable. :D
0 x
Output Challenge 2018
Hours of Recorded Speech: 0 / 50
Words: 4732 / 50000

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Sun May 10, 2020 6:06 am

smallwhite wrote:14 Jan 2018
Log posts make up more than one-third of total forum posts

Figure now 40.74%. Forum started 2015.

20200510.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
7 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

Return to “General Language Discussion”