Language learning games?

General discussion about learning languages
SGP
Blue Belt
Languages: DE (native), EN (C2), ES (B2), FR (B2); some more at various levels
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 30#p120230

Re: Language learning games?

Postby SGP » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:22 am

What I have been doing for a while is to treat acquiring (practical) lingua knowledge itself as a game. Even that game's very title is Language Learning. Surprise?

The Hovercraft Language Learning Allegory
0 x
Previously known as SGP. But my mental username now is langmon.

Log

Jean-Luc
Orange Belt
Languages: French (N), English & German (C), Italian & Spanish (B), Russian, Chinese, Croatian (A)

Postby Jean-Luc » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:27 pm

Language learning boardgames:

My reviews for some Assimil games there: https://labdeslangues.blog/category/assimil/ in order to not copy-paste my articles...

One for Romance languages: latino linguo
One for European languages: famili linguo
One for global languages: deliro linguo
They are entertaining and not too Long.

For French learners this one could be interesting https://labdeslangues.blog/2017/01/28/memotep-pour-ne-plus-etre-nil-en-anglais/

Talking dices are famous too but not really a game.

This German publisher has several language learning games with travel and detectives themes.
https://shop.hueber.de/de/sprache-lernen/englisch/spiele.html

Another one, Kloo http://kloogame.com

Of course you can buy native language games and use them but the former are specifically designed for language learning.
An exemple with "Deutschland entdecken" a simple travel game to discover Germany https://labdeslangues.blog/2018/04/14/decouvrir-lallemagne/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Jean-Luc on Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 x

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Postby Cainntear » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:33 pm

Cavesa wrote:One of the highly underestimated fields are the oldschool japanese style RPGs. Final fantasy looks great (I only played demo) and it is available on tablets and perhaps phones too.
I don't know if the situation is any better on Android, but iOS's philosophy of "it just works" makes it very inflexible for the multilingual. Every app just installs in your OS in your "preferred language" and that's it. I've got a couple of Final Fantasy games, but I played them in English and I've no idea if either of them supports any other language.
So just to check it out, I started downloading one of them, then switched my language to French and started downloading the other one. I'll let you know later if either of them starts playing in French....
1 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:04 pm

Cainntear wrote:Every app just installs in your OS in your "preferred language" and that's it.

Not quite true.
Several of the apps I've developed for iOS allow for language switching and I'm not the only developer doing this.

But definitely something that isn't that common - it's actually not an easy implementation.

IMG_8314.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Postby Cainntear » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:58 pm

Cainntear wrote:
Cavesa wrote:One of the highly underestimated fields are the oldschool japanese style RPGs. Final fantasy looks great (I only played demo) and it is available on tablets and perhaps phones too.
I don't know if the situation is any better on Android, but iOS's philosophy of "it just works" makes it very inflexible for the multilingual. Every app just installs in your OS in your "preferred language" and that's it. I've got a couple of Final Fantasy games, but I played them in English and I've no idea if either of them supports any other language.
So just to check it out, I started downloading one of them, then switched my language to French and started downloading the other one. I'll let you know later if either of them starts playing in French....

Just to report back: the first one (download started before changing language) started in French... but only in the text. The audio is all in English. I don't know whether that's because of the download or their just isn't any French audio..
The second one was text-only anyway, and it all came up in French.
I switched my phone settings back to English and they're both now showing the text in English.
3 x

Stefan
Green Belt
Languages: -

Postby Stefan » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:33 pm

I tried Trivia Crack recently. Basically trivia questions in a bunch of different languages. Unfortunately the app was awful and seemingly built around micro transactions. I do like the idea of learning while practicing languages though.

I also tried an emulator but it didn't accept my old games. No idea why. Being able to play classic RPG on the run seems like a fun way to practice your target language.

In general I'm missing decent language learning apps besides flashcards like Anki.
0 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”