"Latin is easy if it's taught right"- A priest determined to keep Latin alive;

General discussion about learning languages
iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

"Latin is easy if it's taught right"- A priest determined to keep Latin alive;

Postby iguanamon » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:04 pm

This came to me today via twitter, CBS News and @EllenJovin
Meet the priest determined to keep the Latin language alive

I did a little further research: Learn Latin with Father Coulter sharing the Father Reginald Foster Latin teaching experience

Learn more about Father Reginald Foster

Father Coulter's Latin Learning Resources Links

Excerpt:
CBS News wrote:In the basement of a nursing home in Milwaukee, the world's best Latin lessons are given for free. That's where Father Reginald Foster, a priest who lacks patience, gives his lessons. He's managed to convince hundreds of people to dedicate their lives to a language no longer living, reports Brook Silva-Braga. ... Do you see what I'm sitting on? My butt. If you sit on your butt and study Latin as long as I have you'll be a master, too," Foster said of why he's so good at the language.
And if you think it seems too hard to learn, he's not buying it.
"No. Every poor person, derelict, prostitute, anyone else in Rome spoke Latin," he said. ...
13 x

Decidida
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (sidelined), Haitian Creole (beginner), Latin (forgotten), Ancient Greek (sidelined)

Re: "Latin is easy if it's taught right"- A priest determined to keep Latin alive;

Postby Decidida » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:10 am

I have very much enjoyed my Latin and Ancient Greek studies in the past. There are some really interesting resources if you know where to look.
1 x

Systematiker
Blue Belt
Languages: ENG (N); DEU (C2+) // SWG (~C1); BAR (~C1); SPA (4/3); FRA (~C1); SCO (~C1); NLD (~B2*); LAT (Latinum Bavaricum); GRC (Graecum Bavaricum); CAT (~B2*); POR (~B2*); SWE (~B2*); HBO (Hebraicum); DAN (~B1*); RUS (~A2); KOR (~A1); FAS (still a raw beginner)
*Averaged for high receptive skill
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7332

Re: "Latin is easy if it's taught right"- A priest determined to keep Latin alive;

Postby Systematiker » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:27 am

I actually used some of Fr. Coulter's files attempting to replicate Fr. Foster's classes when I was learning Latin. I'd probably be better at it if I had made it all the way through them :lol:
1 x

languist
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)
Learning: Mostly, how to procrastinate + French, Spanish, Darija, Russian, Slovak, Circassian, Greek
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7523

Postby languist » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:27 am

I actually agree with him. I think my love for languages was really fuelled by my Latin studies. We had a very eccentric and inspirational teacher who taught us Latin from age 11 onwards, and he was able to ignite a passion for case endings and poetic structures in children in a way which flies in the face of this stereotype of Latin as a "dead", "pointless", "boring" language. We were made to learn hundreds of words by rote, in the Victorian style, and came face to face with our first true experience of complex grammatical deconstruction of language, and yet we all rushed to class and more or less got the grades. A teacher can really make the subject!
6 x

OliverQ
Languages: English (N), French (A2), Russian, (Beginner), Spanish (Beginner), Italian (Beginner).

Postby OliverQ » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:48 am

I would love Latin to make a comeback, it's my favorite language sound wise. But obviously with the Romance languages taking over, there is just no need for it to be revived so aside from classical and religious studies, I don't see it ever gaining a big increase in followers.
2 x

Xenops
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Danish (A2), Japanese (rusty), Nansha (constructing)
On break: Japanese (approx. N4), Norwegian (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16797

Postby Xenops » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:19 am

Don't tempt me with learning Latin.

Don't tempt me.

Don't!

Darn it.

OliverQ wrote:I would love Latin to make a comeback, it's my favorite language sound wise. But obviously with the Romance languages taking over, there is just no need for it to be revived so aside from classical and religious studies, I don't see it ever gaining a big increase in followers.

As sad as this sounds, this might be true. Of course, I do recall seeing Winnie the Pooh translated into Latin...This language has a coolness factor to it that the Romance languages (while neat themselves), don't have. In Star Wars terms, Latin is like Darth Vadar, and the Romance languages are...The Rebellion?
3 x
Check out my comic at: https://atannan.com/

Decidida
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (sidelined), Haitian Creole (beginner), Latin (forgotten), Ancient Greek (sidelined)

Postby Decidida » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:39 am

If you want to be tempted by the ultimate cool thing to learn and do, how about completing Euclid's geometry text in the actual ancient greek it was written in. Yes, years ago, someone else and I did play around with some of Euclid's Elements in the Greek, and it was fun.

This website has been up for a long time.
https://mysite.du.edu/~etuttle/classics ... .htm#conts

The Greek and Latin number systems are interesting to study and use and compare to the Hindu-Arabic decimal system.
3 x

nooj
Brown Belt
Languages: english (n)

Postby nooj » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:52 pm

And if you think it seems too hard to learn, he's not buying it.
"No. Every poor person, derelict, prostitute, anyone else in Rome spoke Latin," he said.

I like Reginald Foster, he's a mini legend in the Latin community, but here he's being disingenuous.

Every poor person, derelict and prostitute spoke Latin in Rome because it was their native language. Language acquisition is fundamentally different for native speakers and later learners.

Sure, Rome got a lot of immigrants as well, but there's nothing to say that they, like modern day immigrants, didn't have trouble learning Latin. In fact, we have actual literary and epigraphic evidence that they often didn't perfectly acquire Latin.

But the fundamental point is true, that Latin is not an inherently difficult language.

What might be difficult is finding or creating those contexts in which Latin can (re)become a language of conversation. To learn German, people can watch German shows, listen to German music, go to Germany or Austria or Switzerland. To learn Latin...?
Last edited by nooj on Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
5 x
زندگی را با عشق
نوش جان باید کرد

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:53 pm

Decidida wrote:If you want to be tempted by the ultimate cool thing to learn and do, how about completing Euclid's geometry text in the actual ancient greek it was written in. Yes, years ago, someone else and I did play around with some of Euclid's Elements in the Greek, and it was fun.

This website has been up for a long time.
https://mysite.du.edu/~etuttle/classics ... .htm#conts

The Greek and Latin number systems are interesting to study and use and compare to the Hindu-Arabic decimal system.

What have you done?! Nooooo.

(I can only fend off doing things like this because I have a) no time b) a 1689 book in Portuguese and Hebrew on "Grammatica Chaldaica" to get through first.... )
2 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:03 pm

My Latin is an off and on affair. Sometimes I decide that it is time to revive it and then I also mostly succeed. The problem is that I find very little contemporary stuff to read (except a few Harry Potter translations and the internet 'journal' Ephemerides, whose update frequency seems to be going steadily downwards). I can find enough Roman texts and also medieval stuff, but much of that is marred by inteeeeeeerminably long sentences and boring content, and there is one problem more: one of the most difficult things in Latin is to adopt the mindsets that have been built into the language. Often you take a formulation in a modern Romance or Germanic language ... and when you look it up it is not there in your L1->Latin dictionary because it was constructed as an inversion of a Latin-L1 dictionary and only contains the patterns which existed at the time of Ovidius Naso or Thomas Aquinas. We need dictionaries built on the modern languages directly, and then the scholars should spend their time on determining what the old folks would have said instead - which may have been something totally different. How often haven't you seen the remark that the Romans wouldn't have expresssed some thing or that they would have used a construction with a substantive instead of a verb (or the opposite)?

If we just could get those two problems solved then Latin wouldn't be harder to learn than any modern language. Eh, and one more thing: your inital model shouldn't be the language of Cicero. Who would learn German with Urtextausgaben von Kant und Hegel als ihre Studiematerialien?
10 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”