Postby nooj » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:50 am

Improve:
Spanish, French, Catalan, Basque
Start on:
Russian
Maintain:
Arabic, Persian

Not:
Get distracted by any other goddamn language.
1 x
زندگی را با عشق
نوش جان باید کرد

Xenops
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Danish (A2), Japanese (rusty), Nansha (constructing)
On break: Japanese (approx. N4), Norwegian (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16797

Re: Your Language-related New Year's Resolutions 2018

Postby Xenops » Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:30 pm

nooj wrote:Improve:
Start on:
Russian
Maintain:
Arabic, Persian

Not:

It's a challenge not to get distracted, isn't? So many languages, so little time. :?

Jojo wrote:To stick to my very ambitious study schedule (40+ hours per week). If I stick to it I'm guaranteed to make progress. I recently started studying Greek and Russian and I'm starting Slovak in January. So that's 40 hours divided into Italian, French, Arabic, Greek, Croatian, Slovak and Russian. I wonder how long is it gonna take me to burn out :?

In addition to my study schedule I'd like to take (and pass!) the French DELF B2, take the B2 or at least a placement test for Croatian when I go in June, and be at least conversational in Slovak in time for the Gathering.

Will you have a log? I would be interested to read it if you did. :)
1 x
Check out my comic at: https://atannan.com/

Phantom Kat
White Belt
Languages: Spanish (N) English (N) Finnish (A2?) Mandarin (Learning) French (Learning)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=10127

Postby Phantom Kat » Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:34 pm

My goal is to consistently study French this year, at least for half an hour a day. During the school year I get into the bad habit of coming back from work and just crashing until my alarm wakes me up in the morning. I want to get at least one lesson on Rocket French or Assimil done, make a set of of flashcards for a children's book, write some simple sentences, something.
2 x

Jojo
White Belt
Languages: Spanish (L1), English (L2), Italian (Adv), Croatian (Int), French (Int), Egyptian Arabic (Adv Beg), Greek (New Beg), Russian (New Beg)

Postby Jojo » Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:56 pm

Xenops wrote:
nooj wrote:Improve:
Start on:
Russian
Maintain:
Arabic, Persian

Not:

It's a challenge not to get distracted, isn't? So many languages, so little time. :?

Jojo wrote:To stick to my very ambitious study schedule (40+ hours per week). If I stick to it I'm guaranteed to make progress. I recently started studying Greek and Russian and I'm starting Slovak in January. So that's 40 hours divided into Italian, French, Arabic, Greek, Croatian, Slovak and Russian. I wonder how long is it gonna take me to burn out :?

In addition to my study schedule I'd like to take (and pass!) the French DELF B2, take the B2 or at least a placement test for Croatian when I go in June, and be at least conversational in Slovak in time for the Gathering.

Will you have a log? I would be interested to read it if you did. :)

Yes, that's the plan. This will be my third try at a blog, so hopefully it will be the charm.
0 x
Formerly JohannaNYC

CarlyD
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish--A2, German--now studying, A2

Postby CarlyD » Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:40 pm

My goal/resolution for 2018 is German, and hopefully just German--I have a tendency to wander back to Spanish and not return.

I'm more of a SMART learner, so I'm already making short-term plans and goals that I hope to meet.
2 x
2024 15,000 pages Reading Challenge--pages: 1180 / 15000

Neurotip
Green Belt
Languages: eng N; ita & fra B2+, ell & deu B2-, ísl B1 (spa & swe A2?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9850

Postby Neurotip » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:26 pm

Hi! Just came across this site a few weeks ago, and I'm very glad I did. Thought I'd take the liberty of posting a few resolutions as a sort of introduction. During 2017 I've started to take up language learning seriously as a hobby in its own right, rather than just randomly poking at this language and that as I've been doing for years, and this forum has already provided me with some great ideas and hopefully also motivation.

Concrete goals for 2018, then:
1. Get Icelandic up to a solid A1, hopefully approaching A2, with 100 hours of study.
2. Get Italian up to a solid B1, with 100 hours of study.

The Italian is mostly going to be listening to podcasts and reading articles online; for Icelandic, studying simple texts (preferably parallel texts) alongside Icelandic Online and lots of Anki. I think I can commit to four hours a week - doesn't sound all that much, but I have a goal in one of my other hobbies that's going to take me a fair amount of time as well, and then there's Real Life...

Forse anche scriverò ogni tanto in un 'log' su questo sito. Sarebbe per me una cosa ottima ricevere 'feedback' (chiedo perdono, ma mi sembra che anche gli italiani utilizzano inglese per concetti simili, no? Per 'feedback' Google Translate ha 'risposta' ma non sembra giusto) sui miei difetti ma non so se avrò tempo, lo trovo penoso e ci vuole tanto tempo per scrivere poche parole.

Finally, not resolutions but a wish list for 2019 onwards:
- improve my German, which has lain largely untouched since school days
- learn modern Greek, a language I have a completely irrational crush on (only twice ever have I asked a stranger out of the blue what language they were speaking simply because it sounded so beautiful, and it was Greek both times)
- maybe try Russian; I learned a tiny bit of Czech while I was at university and can decode Cyrillic not too slowly, so it would be fun to try
- Japanese might be a long-term goal but I really feel a stronger attraction to European languages I must admit.

Looking forward to following the forum and posting periodically... :D
5 x
Corrections welcome here

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:19 am

Neurotip wrote:Hi! Just came across this site a few weeks ago, and I'm very glad I did.

Forse anche scriverò ogni tanto in un 'log' su questo sito. Sarebbe per me una cosa ottima ricevere 'feedback' (chiedo perdono, ma mi sembra che anche gli italiani utilizzano inglese per concetti simili, no? Per 'feedback' Google Translate ha 'risposta' ma non sembra giusto) sui miei difetti ma non so se avrò tempo, lo trovo penoso e ci vuole tanto tempo per scrivere poche parole.

Welcome to the forum, Neurotip!

Forum Rules here say that posts in this sub-forum should be in English. So here's a chance to practise your Italian - by providing us with a translation in English of your paragraph in Italian. Isn't that great!
1 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

Xenops
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Danish (A2), Japanese (rusty), Nansha (constructing)
On break: Japanese (approx. N4), Norwegian (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16797

Postby Xenops » Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:08 am

Neurotip wrote:- learn modern Greek, a language I have a completely irrational crush on (only twice ever have I asked a stranger out of the blue what language they were speaking simply because it sounded so beautiful, and it was Greek both times)

Welcome to the forum! In my case, when I have asked people, it turned out to be Polish that sounded cool...So that might be on my radar, but maybe later. ;)

Of course, I have asked a few times "what language are you speaking?" in Idaho, because non-English speakers are so rare there.
0 x
Check out my comic at: https://atannan.com/

Neurotip
Green Belt
Languages: eng N; ita & fra B2+, ell & deu B2-, ísl B1 (spa & swe A2?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9850

Postby Neurotip » Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:50 pm

Thanks! Apologies for inadvertently infringing the rules :) If I feel moved in future to post in non-English languages I'll set up a log. What I was trying to say was as follows...

>> Maybe I'll also write in a log on this site from time to time. It would be great to get 'feedback' (excuse me for using English in an Italian paragraph but I think Italians would do the same, no? Google Translate suggests 'risposta' but that doesn't seem right) on my mistakes but I don't know if I'll have time, it's a painfully slow process and it takes so much time to write so few words. <<

@Xenops: Polish does have a unique sound, with all the coronal fricatives and nasal vowels. In my part of south London we hear Polish spoken on the street every day so we don't need to ask, but I agree it has a charming sound and feels good to speak. I have to admit a preference for Czech though, which feels somehow cleaner and more precise to me.
2 x
Corrections welcome here

guiguixx1
Orange Belt
Languages: French (N), English (C2), Dutch (C1), Spanish (C1), Italian (B2), Esperanto (A2), Portuguese (B2), German (A2), Catalan (passively)

Postby guiguixx1 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:18 pm

Each and every year I make resolutions, which I end up not following because of wanderlust and envies coming out of the blue. Because of this, I have already studied over 20 languages, but the only ones I studied "seriously" are the ones I show on my profile, so 9 (and still, my level for some of them isn't very high). Now that I notice that studying many languages at the same time (or studying some for just a couple of weeks) isn't that useful (I end up forgetting them), here are my new resolutions, that I hope to follow this time:

Since I'm living in Spain for the school year, I would like to get as far as possible with my Spanish (getting to a solid C1, if not C2); get my Catalan to a solid B1.

Any remaining/free time would be devoted to getting as close to B2/C1 in Portuguese as possible.

I think this will take enough time to fill a year ^^
7 x
Language learning and teaching website as a French teacher of Dutch and English: cameleondeslangues.be

Return to “General Language Discussion”