Your Language-related New Year's Resolutions 2018

General discussion about learning languages
Hank
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (intermediate), Welsh (studying)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1833

Re: Your Language-related New Year's Resolutions 2018

Postby Hank » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:11 pm

Is winning the lottery considered a language related New Year's Resolution? It would definitely give me much more time to study languages. Not only that, I could spend a lot of time in Wales and get some immersion. :lol:

For 2018 I want to continue maintaining Spanish and improve my listening comprehension and output. My listening comprehension isn't horrible right now, but it could be much better. I guess my output isn't completely horrible, but still tons of room for improvement. For Welsh I want to be able to read comfortably and at least be able to get the gist of the spoken language. I think this is doable.

I also want to fight off wanderlust and not start a new language until I'm comfortable with Welsh. Unfortunately the urge to dabble in Japanese is strong right now.
6 x
Future travel plans:
2020: Cruise to Dominican Republic, Turks and Caicos, Bahamas

Stelle
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N1), French (N2), Spanish (advanced), Tagalog (basic), Russian (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=13312

Postby Stelle » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:50 pm

I want to be able to have a full hour conversation in Tagalog with my father-in-law by the end of 2018. He was a ship captain for many years, and he's had some unbelievable experiences, including clinging to debris in the ocean after his ship sunk when he was a young sailor. I'd love to hear - and understand - some of his stories in his own language.
10 x

lichtrausch
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), German, Japanese, Mandarin, Korean

Postby lichtrausch » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:23 pm

Proficiency in Korean, improve my Mandarin, and accumulate more Russian, Persian, Spanish, and French vocabulary. Should be a good time.
1 x

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Professional: ES, RU
Speak well: DE, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU, FI
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), BG, EUS, ZH (CAN), and a whole lot more.
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Postby tarvos » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:25 pm

OK, all joking aside, I do have some hopes that in 2018 I will be able to improve my Slavic and East Asian languages. And by Slavic I mean Polish. However, since I don't really go in for much textbook activity, that's not really translatable to smart goals right now. And I don't want there to be any for the moment because I'm taking it easy and enjoying the languages I have. There's enough to work on, even in my weakest languages, and I am not in a hurry to add anything new right now (although I will probably study other things in the future, I am certain of it). Right now, my goal is to consume more native materials because that, to me, is the fun part. Considering the only formal study I am doing right now is Spanish (and that's for the DELE C2 exam), the rest is just dilettantism. I may return to a more formal study of other languages in the future with an eye on my professional abilities, or even just to have a more concrete goal for one of my weaker target languages.

Basically, with the ginormous amount of languages I have, maintenance is a beast, and to manage all of it I have to enter BEAST MODE.
6 x
I hope your world is kind.

Is a girl.

rlnv
Orange Belt
Languages: English

Postby rlnv » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:58 pm

Finish a rough draft of the French novel that is in my head and making it's way into Scrivener.
5 x

garyb
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native: English
Advanced: Italian, French
Intermediate: Spanish
Beginner: German, Japanese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1855

Postby garyb » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:41 pm

To paraphrase what I've said in my log: I don't do concrete goals and resolutions but I'm aiming to speak Spanish more regularly next year.
2 x

hedgehog.chess
Orange Belt
Languages: Polish (N), English (~B2ish), German (~B2ish)
Language Log: https://tinyurl.com/yaofno9u

Postby hedgehog.chess » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:35 pm

I would like to use the avaliable "free,idle time"(I don't know the exact term) like commuting, waiting in line by filling it with language learning activities. Listening to an audiobook in German would be the best, but reading an article or even one round of Clozemaster will also do. And the time spend on recharging my batteries(hobby, family time) DOESN'T fall in the "free,idle time" category.
1 x

Sarafina
Green Belt
Languages: English (N)
French (Intermediate )
Japanese (Beginner)
Yoruba (Advanced Comprehension)

Postby Sarafina » Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:05 pm

2018 is going to be my most productive language learning year.

French
To prepare for the C1 DALF exam by December next year
To have written 223 pages worth of French writing exercises, diary entry, philosophical musings etc. Why 223 pages? Because it's the same amount of pages of the first Harry Potter books
To have read 30 books in French by May (and 50 books by the end of 2018). I'm a natural speed reader so on average I tend to finish a book in a day but for books in foreign languages it took a bit longer and around 3-7 days depending on the difficulty of the book.
To have 24 hours worth of recorded shadowing of 7jours and Easy French
To 365 hours worth of audio French Input (by May) and 600 hours (by end of 2018). It's achievable if I use the time I spend on the bus listening/watch videos in French and if in the afternoons I watch a couple of episodes of TV in French and listen to some French podcasts in the evenings before I go to sleep.

Japanese
To finish learning to learning pathways on Japanesepod101: Nihongodojo: Absolute Beginnner, Nihongodojo: Beginner, The Path to Advanced Japanese. I already listen to on average 2 episodes a day.
To have at least 50 conversations in Japanese
To read at least 10 short stories in Japanese
To have read all of A Silent Voice in Japanese
I would say finish reading all of Naruto in Japanese. There's 700 chapters. I don't know if I can finish all of them in one year to be honest.
To have 300 hours worth of audio Japanese Input
To have read all of Yasunari Kawabata works (this overlaps with my goal of reading at least 10 short stories in Japanese)
(To consistently shadow 2-5 minutes worth of Japanese audio each day/to record myself reading out loud x volumes of Yotsubato and Naruto)
To read at least 3 novels in Japanese

Other
To do 30 day Korean K-Pop challenge (inspired by Judith Meyer attempt to understand your favourite show in a month by using subs2srs) except I'll be using songs of my favourite K-pop group. It's a fun experiment to say how far how I can understand Korean by using songs.
I want to spend some weeks dabbling and experimenting with Spanish, Chinese, Persian and see way that takes me but I don't know how I will be able to learn two languages intensively while adding new languages. Unless I don't take the DALF C1 exam. I might consider taking a evening class when I go uni on either Spanish or Chinese and see what language evening courses at universities are like.
3 x

leosmith
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N)
Spanish (adv)
French (int)
German (int)
Japanese (int)
Korean (int)
Mandarin (int)
Portuguese (int)
Russian (int)
Swahili (int)
Tagalog (int)
Thai (int)

Postby leosmith » Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:36 pm

smallwhite wrote:What are your New Year's resolutions for 2018?

Take Korean from a low B2 to a strong B2.
Take Tagalog from A1 to a strong B2
Maintain all my other languages.
4 x
https://languagecrush.com/reading - try our free multi-language reading tool

Jojo
White Belt
Languages: Spanish (L1), English (L2), Italian (Adv), Croatian (Int), French (Int), Egyptian Arabic (Adv Beg), Greek (New Beg), Russian (New Beg)

Postby Jojo » Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:13 am

To stick to my very ambitious study schedule (40+ hours per week). If I stick to it I'm guaranteed to make progress. I recently started studying Greek and Russian and I'm starting Slovak in January. So that's 40 hours divided into Italian, French, Arabic, Greek, Croatian, Slovak and Russian. I wonder how long is it gonna take me to burn out :?

In addition to my study schedule I'd like to take (and pass!) the French DELF B2, take the B2 or at least a placement test for Croatian when I go in June, and be at least conversational in Slovak in time for the Gathering.
3 x
Formerly JohannaNYC

Return to “General Language Discussion”