Languages: English (native)
German (advanced)
French (intermediate)
Japanese (intermediate)
Spanish (learning)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=1152

Re: Your Language-related New Year's Resolutions 2018

Postby gsbod » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:38 pm

Passing the Goethe Zertifikat C1 exam (German). I'll try in the summer, if it doesn't work out I can try again autumn/winter.
5 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:15 pm

smallwhite wrote:Will you start a new language? Or do you expect to finally finish off the one you started last century?
Will you set new goals? Or are you continuing with last year's and last decade's?

Smallwhite, you know me so well. ;-)
Something like that. Spanish to C1 and German to at least B1 are hyperold goals.

Are your goals S.M.A.R.T.? Or do you prefer K.I.S.S.?

Considering the last year, I'd say my goals are CAVESA. CAVE Strange Accidents.

And what's your usual success rates with New Year's resolutions?

They say you're more likely to succeed if you make your resolutions public, so take advantage of this and hit that reply button!

And don't forget to tell us how you're doing with Your Language-related New Year's Resolutions 2017

The usual rate is not that great but making this stuff public helps me a lot to do at least a part of them. For me, that is the most important part of the game. I set high goals as my resolutions, make them public, and that forces me to do at least half the amount of studying, which is still good :-)
The 2017 was not a good year for my language goals. 2018 is gonna be better.

basica wrote:Nothing to apologize for. I confused myself too :) I was initially thinking of writing hours, but then I worked out the minutes and wrote them out while thinking hours. Anyways, 2000 minutes sounds more impressive than 26hrs I think so i'll keep it there :lol:

This misunderstanding reminds me of my own resolutions so much! :-D
6 x

AndyMeg
Blue Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (B2-C1), Japanese (A2-B1), Korean (Lower Intermediate?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 02#p201902

Postby AndyMeg » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:26 pm

My resolution for 2018 is to have lots of fun with language learning! :D
7 x
Beyond The Story 10 Year Record of BTS Korean version: 36 / 522

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:54 pm

For me, I try to achieve without goals. I've found that the best goal is no goal. So, that necessarily leaves out task bars, counting hours and pages for me. I don't need those things because I'm motivated anyway. That being said, a new year is as good a time as any to start something new. One of my favorite authors in Spanish is Isabel Allende. She always starts a new book on January 8.
Isabel Allende wrote:El 8 de enero de 1981 estaba viviendo en Venezuela y recibí una llamada telefónica diciendo que mi querido abuelo se estaba muriendo en Chile. Empecé una carta para él, que más tarde se convirtió, en mi primera novela, La Casa de los Espíritus. Fue un libro tan afortunado, que decidí mantener esa fecha para empezar mis otros libros, para llamar a la suerte.
El 8 de enero es un día sagrado para mí. Llego a mi oficina muy temprano, enciendo algunas velas para convocar a los espíritus y las musas. Medito por un tiempo. Siempre tengo flores frescas e incienso. Trato de relajarme, de entregarme a la experiencia que comienza en ese momento.

My translation: On the Eighth of January, 1981, I was living in Venezuela and I got a phone call saying that my dear grandfather was dying in Chile. I started (writing) a letter to him, that letter became my first novel The House of Spirits. It was such a very lucky book, that I decided to keep that date to begin my other books, in order to call on that luck.
The Eighth of January is a sacred day for me. I arrive at my office very early, I light some candles to invoke the spirits and the muses. I meditate for a while. I always have fresh flowers and incense. I try to relax, bringing myself to the experience that begins in that moment.

Dates, despite being somewhat arbitrary, have some significance. A new year is, in a sense, a new beginning... at least of the calendar year and it can be a good enough excuse to reevaluate and begin anew. So, I wish everyone the best of luck in their endeavors in the coming year. Myself, I'll keep doing what I do and I might add a next language in 2018. We'll see. Life sometimes gets in the way no matter what our intentions may be.
Last edited by iguanamon on Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
16 x

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:06 pm

In fact I don't know why people equate resolutions to goals (and goals to to-do lists) (and strategies to Amazon wishlists) (and...)
3 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:32 pm

smallwhite wrote:In fact I don't know why people equate resolutions to goals (and goals to to-do lists) (and strategies to Amazon wishlists) (and...)

You are right. So, I'll try to make a proper resolution:
Some German, Spanish, and Italian every week. Out of the three, German needs to be practice at least twice.
This is the lower limit of course, I would ideally wish to do some language learning every day, but I live in the real world, not an ideal one.

I have already tried a similar resolution last year, but I had planned a certain amount of time per language per week and that was impossible to keep up with. This time, I'll keep it simple.
3 x

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:01 pm

Keep my Russian proficiency. Maybe start Spanish with the family. Improve my Esperanto speaking.
3 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Professional: ES, RU
Speak well: DE, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU, FI
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), BG, EUS, ZH (CAN), and a whole lot more.
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Postby tarvos » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:49 pm

Not die while improving languages somehow
6 x
I hope your world is kind.

Is a girl.

Jar-Ptitsa
Brown Belt
Languages: Belgian French (N)

I can speak: Dutch, German, English, Spanish and understand Italian, Portuguese, Wallonian, Afrikaans, but not always correctly.

Postby Jar-Ptitsa » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:53 pm

To work more on Spanish than in 2017 when i didn't at all. I'm not sure that I am so motivated for this langauge, but I hope it will work.

To maintain my Dutch and german to avoid that I forget them or that they become too idiosyncratic because I didn't use them with native speakers so long.

To improve my pronunciation in English, so that instead of that the English people immediately know that I'm a native French speaker, maybe they can't hear which native language, or better, that they don't know that I'm not English.
2 x
-w- I am Jar-ptitsa and my Hawaiian name is ʻā ʻaia. Please correct my mistakes in all the languages. Thank you very much.
: 1 / 50 Spanish grammar
: 5 / 50 Spanish vocabulary

Xenops
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Danish (A2), Japanese (rusty), Nansha (constructing)
On break: Japanese (approx. N4), Norwegian (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16797

Postby Xenops » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:34 pm

smallwhite wrote:In fact I don't know why people equate resolutions to goals (and goals to to-do lists) (and strategies to Amazon wishlists) (and...)

I will post some goals rather than resolutions. Resolutions require a change of routines, a regular attendance to a task, with the intention of reaching a goal. Simply having a goal means I can have off-days and on-days, as long as I meet a deadline and a performance. ;)

Now, my goals are:

1. Complete the French in Action course, while having the material solidly in my brain.
2. Finish the first Genki book set, maybe even finish the second set?

I suppose my one resolution would be: to not to fall into wanderlust temptation, unless sudden traveling arrangements call for it. :lol:
2 x
Check out my comic at: https://atannan.com/

Return to “General Language Discussion”