Your Language-related New Year's Resolutions 2018

General discussion about learning languages
zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Re: Your Language-related New Year's Resolutions 2018

Postby zenmonkey » Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:36 pm

Brun Ugle wrote:
Brun Ugle wrote:1. Write in my log every week.
2. No new languages!

1. Nope.
2. Nope.

But you've done pretty well on actively studying this year - reactivating languages you hadn't really focused on in a while...
2 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

Xenops
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Danish (A2), Japanese (rusty), Nansha (constructing)
On break: Japanese (approx. N4), Norwegian (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16797

Postby Xenops » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:38 pm

What was my resolution again? :oops:

Ah, to not make any resolutions! That's why I can't remember. ;)

Considering I have had a rough year where I battled depression and I "discovered myself", I excuse myself from not making satisfactory progress this year. Instead, I will focus on what I did accomplish, and to have fun with my language learning in the future. I have stressed too much already about results, when I should focus on consistency: with (fun/not torturous) consistency, I will get results...Eventually.

Xenops wrote:I will post some goals rather than resolutions. Resolutions require a change of routines, a regular attendance to a task, with the intention of reaching a goal. Simply having a goal means I can have off-days and on-days, as long as I meet a deadline and a performance. ;)

Now, my goals are:

1. Complete the French in Action course, while having the material solidly in my brain.
2. Finish the first Genki book set, maybe even finish the second set?

I suppose my one resolution would be: to not to fall into wanderlust temptation, unless sudden traveling arrangements call for it. :lol:
2 x
Check out my comic at: https://atannan.com/

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:24 am

zenmonkey wrote:
Brun Ugle wrote:
Brun Ugle wrote:1. Write in my log every week.
2. No new languages!

1. Nope.
2. Nope.

But you've done pretty well on actively studying this year - reactivating languages you hadn't really focused on in a while...

I am? The only language I’m supposedly trying to reactivate is Japanese and I’ve mostly been ignoring it.
0 x

NoManches
Blue Belt
Languages: English - (N)
Spanish - B2 +
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7942

Postby NoManches » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:21 pm

I could have sworn I posted my language related New Year's resolution here...but I guess not. The truth is, I forgot what kind of resolution I had even made and was checking in to see how miserably I failed :roll:

At the very least I'll leave this message here to bring this thread to the front. It will remind some people that they made a resolution...and only have 12 full days to make it happen.

Good luck!
1 x
DOUBLE Super Challenge
Spanish Movies
: 10795 / 18000

Spanish Books
: 4415 / 10000

gsbod
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native)
German (advanced)
French (intermediate)
Japanese (intermediate)
Spanish (learning)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=1152

Postby gsbod » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:42 pm

gsbod wrote:Passing the Goethe Zertifikat C1 exam (German). I'll try in the summer, if it doesn't work out I can try again autumn/winter.

Well that didn't work out. Work commitments and a general reluctance to pay the rather steep exam fees and put the time into actually preparing for it all contributed to my not actually attempting it.

But...I passed all the assessments for my C1 evening course. Not exactly the same thing, but similar, right?
3 x

zjones
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B1-certified), Spanish and Greek (abandoned)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9860

Postby zjones » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:04 am

I think we need a New Year's Resolutions thread for 2019!
4 x

leosmith
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N)
Spanish (adv)
French (int)
German (int)
Japanese (int)
Korean (int)
Mandarin (int)
Portuguese (int)
Russian (int)
Swahili (int)
Tagalog (int)
Thai (int)

Postby leosmith » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:45 am

leosmith wrote:
smallwhite wrote:What are your New Year's resolutions for 2018?

Take Korean from a low B2 to a strong B2.
Take Tagalog from A1 to a strong B2
Maintain all my other languages.

I didn't make it, not for lack of trying though. I'm still at the low to middle region of the B2 level in both languages.
1 x
https://languagecrush.com/reading - try our free multi-language reading tool

Sayonaroo
Green Belt
Languages: English(N), Japanese -fluent?, Korean - advanced?, Spanish (b1?)
Language Log: http://choronghi.wordpress.com

Postby Sayonaroo » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:57 am

I didn't officially have any resolutions from 2018 since I don't believe in them but I had a goal of reading 2 books a month. I fell behind a few times and I definitely won't hit my quota for December. However, I am okay with it since unlike last year this year I started reading manga because I got a 7.8 inch likebook ereader. I keep track of manga on another site and I read bokutachi ga yarimashita volumes 1-9, JIN volumes 1-18, Liar game volumes 1-9, and a couple more. I think variety is important and although books are more dense than manga, manga has its own advantages from a language learning standpoint. Most of the books I read were physical books and some of them were e-books on the kindle. I take pictures of words as I read in case I want add them to anki ( I've only added stuff from the pictures of the manga. I haven't gone through the pics really. when I add cards I paste the pictures of the text usually. I do not use ocr because it's just inefficient. ) and I have no desire to make anki cards from kindle look-ups since my curiosity was satisfied when I read it on the kindle. When I had a lot of free time some years back I remembered reading Japanese novels and adding 30-40 words a day to anki but I collected the sentences by hand-copying them. I hate handwriting so that part annoyed me. I'm so grateful for the advent of smartphones! Incidentally for Korean books I have no problem underlining words with a red pen. For some reason I couldn't get myself to physically mark my japanese books with a pen and I still can't fathom doing it.

I originally came up with this because I wanted to make sure I engage in a dense, demanding activity that will surely elevate my passive Japanese abilities.

As for Korean I had no reading goals but I do have 10 physical books and thousands of ebooks in my possession. I ended up reading 3 books and a couple challenging short stories from the early 1930s or 1940s or something like that ( I usually don't read stuff like this but there was a glossary available). Although I did not read very many I really enjoyed the books that I read. They were 엘리베이터에 낀 그 남자는 어떻게 되었나 (what happened to the guy in the elevator) by kim young ha, 아직 도 한글 전용 을 고집 해야 하는가? (do you still insist on only using hangeul ?) by 김병기, everything about chess by 김금희 ( this one had a translation included in the book).
1 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”