Underrated Languages

General discussion about learning languages
geoffw
Orange Belt
Languages: Speak well = English (N), Deutsch
Speak poorly = יידיש (Yiddish), Français
"Speak," I guess = עברית (Hebrew), Русский (Russian), Español, Nederlands, Esperanto

Re: Underrated Languages

Postby geoffw » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:11 pm

Cavesa wrote:No suprise. I few young Germans asked me "where is the Czech Republic?"

That sounds pretty remarkable to me; I certainly hope it's not representative. Wouldn't that be kind of like someone from California not knowing where Mexico is?
3 x

tiia
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (?), Finnish (C1), Spanish (B2??), Swedish (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=2374

Postby tiia » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:59 pm

geoffw wrote:
Cavesa wrote:No suprise. I few young Germans asked me "where is the Czech Republic?"

That sounds pretty remarkable to me; I certainly hope it's not representative. Wouldn't that be kind of like someone from California not knowing where Mexico is?

Do you happen where from Germany these people came from? I could hardly imagine anyone from Saxony (and Bavaria?) not knowing where the Czech Republic is, but I actually can imagine this from people coming from places further West.
0 x
Corrections for entries written in Finnish, Spanish or Swedish are welcome.
Project 30+X: 25 / 30

Theodisce
Orange Belt
Languages: Polish (native), speaks: English, Czech, German, Russian, French, Spanish, Italian. Writes in: Latin, Portuguese. Understands: Ancient Greek, Modern Greek, Slovak, Ukrainian, Belarusian, Serbian/Croatian. Studies for passive competence in: Romanian, Slovene, Bulgarian.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1435

Postby Theodisce » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:12 pm

Few months ago I had a 20 minutes conversation with an Italian guy from the South. When he realized Italian wasn't my native language he made an assumption that my girlfriend was Italian. When I explained that this was not the case he asked me: then why are you learning Italian? He was visibly puzzled that someone would ever learn his native language for reasons other than being in a relationship with a native speaker.
7 x
BCS 400+ : 48 / 50
RUS 2800+ : 74 / 100
SPA 1500+ : 128 / 100
CZE 1900+ : 94 / 50

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Professional: ES, RU
Speak well: DE, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU, FI
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), BG, EUS, ZH (CAN), and a whole lot more.
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Postby tarvos » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:26 pm

Not everyone memorizes the atlas these days.
1 x
I hope your world is kind.

Is a girl.

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:46 pm

tiia wrote:
geoffw wrote:

Do you happen where from Germany these people came from? I could hardly imagine anyone from Saxony (and Bavaria?) not knowing where the Czech Republic is, but I actually can imagine this from people coming from places further West.

No, I don't know. But it was not such a surprise. People in the western european countries simply don't care at all. And they act surprised, when the countries "not worth knowing" are not that eager to "cooperate" in such unequal conditions. I suppose people near the borders would know, but why should there be any difference? Does a french from Bretagne ask "Where is the Switzerland?"

Europe would be totally different, if at least 5% of any country's population would know the language of each of the neighbouring countries. And if people regularily visiting a country would actually bother learning at least the basics of the language and looking further than 100m away from their hotel.

It is not just between the countries at the opposite sides of the former Iron Curtain. How comes a German speaking patient has to use broken English in a french hospital, as noone in the whole department speaks it? The same is true about Spanish and Italian, even though the similarities help there. Arabic is a special case. It is a neighbouring language in a sense, even if we do not take immigrants into it (which becomes less and less possible). France was present in the north african countries for a long time, the relationships are still very strong. But my classmates from bilingual families had very weak knowledge of their dialect of Arabic, not enough to communicate efficiently with a patient.

That looked like an underrated language. Arabic in the bilingual families.

tarvos wrote:Not everyone memorizes the atlas these days.

Do you need to memorize the atlas to know what countries does yours have borders with?
2 x

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Professional: ES, RU
Speak well: DE, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU, FI
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), BG, EUS, ZH (CAN), and a whole lot more.
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Postby tarvos » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:06 pm

No, I was being cynical.
2 x
I hope your world is kind.

Is a girl.

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Postby PeterMollenburg » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:37 pm

tarvos wrote:No, I was being cynical.

That wasn’t clear.
1 x

basica
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Serbian (A2ish)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... hp?&t=7335

Postby basica » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:11 pm

PeterMollenburg wrote:
tarvos wrote:No, I was being cynical.

That wasn’t clear.

Probably due to tarvos' laconic style :) I too didn't pick up on it at first FWIW.

EDIT: missed a couple words there.
0 x
Glossika Fluency 1: 16 / 104

Learning or already speak Bosnian, Croatian or Serbian? Join us here! :)

nooj
Brown Belt
Languages: english (n)

Postby nooj » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:29 am

I think Cavesa you might like a thread that I put up before where we brought up some of the same issues you discuss here. Some of what you say about how immigrants (English speaking expats) don't learn the language of the place after 20 years, although extreme, probably has to do with the fact that even within the country they are living, they underrate the language, because they have somehow found a way to survive and even thrive without learning the language. They might learn the basics of how to shop at a supermarket, but trust me that they would learn it to a high level if it was mandatory to find a job, to eat, to not freeze to death. English is one of those languages that unfortunately allow you to not freeze to death pretty much anywhere in Europe, but it is not alone.

Many French immigrants (even people who stay for a couple of years) don't bother learning any other language in Gabon or in Senegal or in Mali or in the Ivory Coast. Heck, in Brussels, many Francophones don't really care about learning Dutch, even though it is supposed to be bilingual. In this respect I agree that we can all show a little bit of compassion for the people we live with by learning their languages.

From what I have seen both in the Czech Republic and in France, this is an issue with a part of the immigrants.

Immigrants of the second generation generally speak the language of the place as a native language. I've never met a French person of Moroccan, Algerian, Tunisian descent or a Dutch person of Moroccan descent who does not speak French or Dutch, perfectly.

Most immigrants of the first generation also learn the language very, very well.
1 x
زندگی را با عشق
نوش جان باید کرد

aokoye
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), German (~C1), French (Intermediate), Japanese (N4), Swedish (beginner), Dutch (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19262

Postby aokoye » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:25 am

tarvos wrote:Not everyone memorizes the atlas these days.

I'd like to think that most people know what countries border the ones they live in. It doesn't take memorizing an atlas.

And yes, I realize I could be said to have some sort of odd geographic privilege in that the US only borders two countries, however I was easily able to memorize the countries that bordered Austria when I lived there and I can put quite a number of the US states on a map (including the ones that I have never lived near). That's not because I'm some sort of extraordinary human.
0 x
Prefered gender pronouns: Masculine

Return to “General Language Discussion”