Replace all the languages you are learning with ones that have less than 2 million speakers

General discussion about learning languages
Zomxilla
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Bulgarian (A1, TL)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=20038

Re: Replace all the languages you are learning with ones that have less than 2 million speakers

Postby Zomxilla » Fri May 18, 2018 4:48 am

Te Reo would be my pick. I'm planning on learning it anyway. Also, does New Zealand Sign Language count?
1 x
Ерагон: 13 / 457 (page 13/147)

Daniel N.
Green Belt
Languages: Croatian (N), English (C1), German (beginner)

Re: Replace all the languages you are learning with ones that have less than 2 million speakers

Postby Daniel N. » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:21 pm

Iversen wrote:My choice for a Slavic language on the Balkan peninsula would be Montenegrin (229,251 speakers in 2011). It is almost the same as Serbian, and Serbian is almost the same as Croatian, and I presume that even the Slovenians and the Macedonians could understand it.

Standard Montenegrin is very close to Standard Ijekavian Serbian, Standard Bosnian, and then to Standard Croatian, and then to Standard Ekavian Serbian (as spoken in Serbia) but this is somewhat controversial: it's not uncommon that someone in Montenegro claims to speak Montenegrin, while his brother or son claims to speak (a variant) of Serbian, and they speak the same. It's more like saying "I'm a Montenegrin, not a Serb" or "I don't vote for pro-Serbian parties".

I'm sure most Macedonians understand and are able to speak something similar to it; the same applies to Slovenians, esp. older ones (they all learned Serbo-Croatian in school).
2 x
Check Easy Croatian (very useful for Bosnian, Montenegrin and Serbian as well)

kulaputra
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Kannada (semi-native, illiterate), Spanish (~C1), Hindi (A2 speech, B1 comprehension), French (A1 speech, A2 listening, >=B1 reading), Mandarin Chinese (~A1)

Postby kulaputra » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:55 pm

Tulu and Navajo, probably
0 x
Iha śāriputra: rūpaṃ śūnyatā śūnyataiva rūpaṃ; rūpān na pṛthak śūnyatā śunyatāyā na pṛthag rūpaṃ; yad rūpaṃ sā śūnyatā; ya śūnyatā tad rūpaṃ.

--Heart Sutra

Please correct any of my non-native languages, if needed!

eido
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (C1)

Postby eido » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:16 pm

I already want to learn Icelandic. I might continue with it if I get too frustrated with Korean, but...

Let's go with a Native American language, like Ute or Cherokee. And what about Malagasy? Why not?

These are subject to change.
0 x

kulaputra
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Kannada (semi-native, illiterate), Spanish (~C1), Hindi (A2 speech, B1 comprehension), French (A1 speech, A2 listening, >=B1 reading), Mandarin Chinese (~A1)

Postby kulaputra » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:57 pm

eido wrote:I already want to learn Icelandic. I might continue with it if I get too frustrated with Korean, but...

Let's go with a Native American language, like Ute or Cherokee. And what about Malagasy? Why not?

These are subject to change.

I was thinking about Malagasy too, but it has 20 million speakers
0 x
Iha śāriputra: rūpaṃ śūnyatā śūnyataiva rūpaṃ; rūpān na pṛthak śūnyatā śunyatāyā na pṛthag rūpaṃ; yad rūpaṃ sā śūnyatā; ya śūnyatā tad rūpaṃ.

--Heart Sutra

Please correct any of my non-native languages, if needed!

BOLIO
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N) Spanish Advanced
Mandarin- Beginner

Postby BOLIO » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:17 pm

Tzotzil would probably be my choice as it has less than 500,000 speakers.

Maybe Tzeltal or Yucatan Maya... All of them have less than a million speakers and could actually be useful to me one day. Interesting topic.
1 x
Reminder to myself: Perfection is useless and harmful. Just keep moving forward.

eido
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (C1)

Postby eido » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:05 pm

kulaputra wrote:I was thinking about Malagasy too, but it has 20 million speakers

Ah, I didn't do my research before this post. Let me think on it some more.

Hmm...

Greenlandic.
2 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”