Do you learn only the standard dialect?

General discussion about learning languages
Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Re: Do you learn only the standard dialect?

Postby Elenia » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:00 pm

Speakeasy wrote:However, the "locals" with whom I came in contact would invariably remark on my accent, whereas they seemed to be totally unaware of their own and would even dispute the fact in those cases where I pointed out that they, too, had an accent. That is, the refrain of my childhood "they speak with an accent, but I speak Standard English" was universal! Only those who had travelled widely seemed to be aware that we all have accents. 8-)

I've read similar things in a few books - people saying that someone else speaks without an accent, or spoke unaccented English. What does that mean? Are they speaking with a monotone TTS? Can a TTS be unaccented? I doubt it!
1 x

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:35 pm

Serpent wrote:I'm very interested in non-standard dialects and I even have that reflected in my profile. Generally I'm more interested in understanding. I'd rather be "busted" as a non-native than make someone think I'm mocking or not respecting their dialect.
I particularly enjoyed your perspective on this. In my experience, people can identify themselves with others, form associations based on shared beliefs, characteristics, et cetera and, over time, develop a level solidarity that permits members of the group to employ self-deprecating, self-mocking humour that would be reprimanded in the harshest of terms when employed by people who are not established members of the group.

I would imagine that many of us have either experienced ourselves, or witnessed others, as “visitors” to a group who, wishing to partake in the bonhommerie, over-step their “visitors’ privileges” by engaging in the self-deprecating, self-mocking humour of the group and discover very quickly, if not painfully, that such intimate language is reserved for "bona fide" members. That is, “we” can laugh at those traits that set us apart from outsiders, but woe betide even long-standing "visitors" who believe that they enjoy the similar privileges! Even genuine, well-intentioned attempts at emulating certain characteristics (such as accents) can be misinterpreted.
5 x

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2), French, dabbling elsewhere sometimes
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=757

Postby galaxyrocker » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:12 pm

For Irish (leaving out all the bit about language politics and the issues of the Irish standard v. dialects, etc etc), I am focusing on a specific dialect. And, more than that, I'm focusing on a specific sub-dialect (South Connemara, specifically as it's spoken around An Cheathrú Rua/Ceantar na n-Oileáin). For me, it's about connecting with the native, living language. Now, Irish is in quite a different situation that most languages, and language politics and attitudes certainly impacts whether I'd learn a dialect or not. For other languages, I'd likely learn the standard, at least at first. But, after that, if I can find a particular area, or have friends from a particular area, etc., I'll always work towards learning a dialect. To me, there's just something more authentic about it, and I like sounding like the natives -- especially if I'm visiting the area a lot!

But, yeah. There's some languages where learning a dialect is really the only way to get in contact with authentic native-language, and it raises a lot of issues overall.
3 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:26 pm

Speakeasy wrote: I particularly enjoyed your perspective on this. In my experience, people can identify themselves with others, form associations based on shared beliefs, characteristics, et cetera and, over time, develop a level solidarity that permits members of the group to employ self-deprecating, self-mocking humour that would be reprimanded in the harshest of terms when employed by people who are not established members of the group.

I would imagine that many of us have either experienced ourselves, or witnessed others, as “visitors” to a group who, wishing to partake in the bonhommerie, over-step their “visitors’ privileges” by engaging in the self-deprecating, self-mocking humour of the group and discover very quickly, if not painfully, that such intimate language is reserved for "bona fide" members. That is, “we” can laugh at those traits that set us apart from outsiders, but woe betide even long-standing "visitors" who believe that they enjoy the similar privileges! Even genuine, well-intentioned attempts at emulating certain characteristics (such as accents) can be misinterpreted.
Thanks, I really liked your post (as well?), and I think it applies to many other things too ;)

*I feel funny saying "as well" here because it almost sounds like I'm praising myself :lol:
0 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

lichtrausch
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), German, Japanese, Mandarin, Korean

Postby lichtrausch » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:49 am

With the amazing variety in the world's languages, I find it pretty dull even to learn a language closely related to one I already know (Dutch for example), never mind other dialects.
1 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”