Why Do You Have Wanderlust?

General discussion about learning languages
IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Re: Why Do You Have Wanderlust?

Postby IronMike » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:59 am

A lot of "my languages" are really only mine because I have a linguistic interest in them. I get a linguistic review of the language or an intro text, read it through, learning about the language's phonology, syntax, morphology, what-not, and then I'm happy. I don't necessarily want to learn how to speak it, but learn what makes it tick.

I have wanderlust mostly for that. I still have a bit of wanderlust to actually learn to speak some (Cornish, BCS, Nahuatl, Japanese) but I have learned to temper that lust.
Last edited by IronMike on Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
5 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

MacGyver
Yellow Belt
Languages: .

Postby MacGyver » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:57 pm

Other cultures draw me in. Thankfully my hunger to become 'fluent' in the language I am learning now stops me from giving other languages the time of day. Maybe in x years once I am C1 etc, etc.
1 x

nooj
Brown Belt
Languages: english (n)

Postby nooj » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:11 pm

People is my thing. I meet people, I go through a period of infatuation with the people (not necessarily in a romantic way) and their culture and their language. I feel I'm a bit off my rocker as a person because of that, but that's truly the only way I get motivated enough to learn someone's language. It's always someone's language, it's never just a neutral language for me. It also means that if I have bad or even just completely neutral experiences with someone, that kind of gets imprinted on the language for me.

Mandarin for example doesn't attract me, but growing up I had a lot of Cantonese friends, and I know that I would gladly learn Canto over Mandarin (besides, it sounds nicer). Mandarin I associate with the international students who come and go and keep to themselves, Cantonese I associate with my friends. Now this is all subjective, but that's how it works for me.

Wanderlust? Nah, just lust.
2 x
زندگی را با عشق
نوش جان باید کرد

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:32 pm

I know my limits and only study the languages which I have decided to study. And precisely because of that I can permit myself the luxury of having a look at some of the other thousands of interesting languages on the planet without being caught up in more than I can manage. I have recently read a book about Quechua. Was it interesting? Definitely yes. Did I learn something from the experience? Oh, yes. Do I intend to study it? No.
7 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:03 pm

Xenops wrote:What about you? What makes you drawn to a language you're not actively studying? :D

I have reasons for studying every single language I've spent some time with, and I also have reasons for leaving them (or taking long breaks).

Sometimes the reason is linguistic, often it's related to culture (e.g. literature, movies, music), sometimes it's because I know people who speak the language, sometimes it's just a cool language.
4 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

mick33
Orange Belt
Languages: First language: English
Languages I'm focusing on learning now: Italian.
Languages I'm learning but not focusing on: Afrikaans, Polish, Finnish Turkish, Spanish, Swedish, Catalan, Hungarian, Russian.
Just for fun I sometimes learn a little of: Hindi, Japanese, Indonesian, Georgian, Thai etc.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=762

Postby mick33 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:31 am

Dragon27 wrote:It's shiny, I want it.
Yes, this is true for me too. I am sometimes easily distracted, but then I remember that I want to be able have conversations, read books and watch TV shows in the languages I am already learning.
1 x

Hank
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (intermediate), Welsh (studying)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1833

Postby Hank » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:52 pm

I never had wanderlust until I found this forum. I never even thought about learning another language after Spanish. Practically everyone here is learning or knows multiple languages. I blame you people! :lol:

I think I have wanderlust for two reasons.

1) I get a great deal of satisfaction and enjoyment from reading Spanish language books and being able to understand Spanish language TV. It's exciting. It's possibly an ego boost as well. I want to be able to do that in more languages. More languages means more fun, right?

2) Even though it's a difficult, time consuming process to learn a language, the little victories along the way, especially at the lower levels, feel really good. REALLY good. And I know that at some point I'll be at reason #1 levels, which is also exciting.

I keep telling myself that I'm not going to learn any more languages after Welsh. I can't imagine trying to maintain three languages. But the truth is I'm already fighting the urge to dabble in Japanese. My wanderlust has me wanting to learn a language with a different alphabet.
11 x
Future travel plans:
2020: Cruise to Dominican Republic, Turks and Caicos, Bahamas

Systematiker
Blue Belt
Languages: ENG (N); DEU (C2+) // SWG (~C1); BAR (~C1); SPA (4/3); FRA (~C1); SCO (~C1); NLD (~B2*); LAT (Latinum Bavaricum); GRC (Graecum Bavaricum); CAT (~B2*); POR (~B2*); SWE (~B2*); HBO (Hebraicum); DAN (~B1*); RUS (~A2); KOR (~A1); FAS (still a raw beginner)
*Averaged for high receptive skill
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7332

Postby Systematiker » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:46 pm

jeff_lindqvist wrote:
Xenops wrote:What about you? What makes you drawn to a language you're not actively studying? :D

I have reasons for studying every single language I've spent some time with, and I also have reasons for leaving them (or taking long breaks).

Sometimes the reason is linguistic, often it's related to culture (e.g. literature, movies, music), sometimes it's because I know people who speak the language, sometimes it's just a cool language.

This pretty much could be my answer. Usually it’s from knowing someone, or encountering a language I find cool.
2 x

Ogrim
Brown Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N) English (C2), French (C2), Spanish (C2), German (B2), Romansh (B2), Italian (B2), Catalan (B2), Russian (B1), Latin (B2), Dutch (B1), Croatian (A2), Arabic (on hold), Ancient Greek (learning), Romanian (on hold)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?t=873

Postby Ogrim » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:13 pm

Defining Wanderlust as wanting to learn new languages or improve old languages without really getting serious about it, I have two main reasons for wanderlusting:

1) Travel. If I visit a country or a region where I don't speak the language, I get a sudden urge to explore that language, so I browse the internet to get some idea about its grammar etc, I try to find music in the language and enjoy listening to some songs without understanding the lyrics, I may be so extravagant as to buy a course book, but then the fascination slowly fades as I go back to concentrating on the languages I really want to learn. This kind of wanderlust has happened to me with Armenian, Irish, Hebrew, Greek (although I am working on making that a real study langauge), Croatian and Basque to name just some.

2) Culture/events. This mostly concerns languages I used to have a realtionship with in the past, but that were left behind at some stage. A fortuitous political or cultural event may suddenly rekindle the interest. Recently it happened with Dutch, which I studied back in the 1990s when I lived in Belgium. It's also been the case at some point with Catalan, Romanian and Portuguese. It was also the reason I took up Romansh again some six-seven years ago. Some of them will stick around and become part of my daily routine, others will have my attention for a certain period and then I may put them back in the freezer for a while.
3 x
Ich grolle nicht

Jar-Ptitsa
Brown Belt
Languages: Belgian French (N)

I can speak: Dutch, German, English, Spanish and understand Italian, Portuguese, Wallonian, Afrikaans, but not always correctly.

Postby Jar-Ptitsa » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:10 am

I haven't got Wanderlust.
0 x
-w- I am Jar-ptitsa and my Hawaiian name is ʻā ʻaia. Please correct my mistakes in all the languages. Thank you very much.
: 1 / 50 Spanish grammar
: 5 / 50 Spanish vocabulary

Return to “General Language Discussion”