How many languages can a person learn in their lifetime?

General discussion about learning languages

How many langs. could someone reach the ability to converse at a B2 level or better in concurrently?

lessthan 20
68%
20-50
23%
51-100
7%
More than 100
3%

Total votes: 74

leosmith
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N)
Spanish (adv)
French (int)
German (int)
Japanese (int)
Korean (int)
Mandarin (int)
Portuguese (int)
Russian (int)
Swahili (int)
Tagalog (int)
Thai (int)

How many languages can a person learn in their lifetime?

Postby leosmith » Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:48 pm

I saw this question asked recently, and was curious what you think. For the purpose of this poll, I'm actually asking how many languages a person could reach the ability to converse at a B2 level or better in, concurrently. By this definition, someone who can speak 10 languages should be able to speak them at the B2 level or better one after the other.

Edited poll title, and allowed people to change their vote.
Last edited by leosmith on Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:14 am, edited 4 times in total.
1 x
https://languagecrush.com/reading - try our free multi-language reading tool

Xenops
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Danish (A2), Japanese (rusty), Nansha (constructing)
On break: Japanese (approx. N4), Norwegian (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16797

Re: How many languages can a person learn in their lifetime?

Postby Xenops » Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:57 pm

We know that Professor Arguelles could speak quite a few, and there's other polyglots from history that could speak many. I would think that reaching a B2 level in 20-30 languages is more obtainable than reaching 10-20 to the C2 level, or perhaps reaching B2 in 30 is the equivalent of 10 to C2 level.
3 x
Check out my comic at: https://atannan.com/

dampingwire
Blue Belt
Languages: Italian (N), English (N), French (poor, not studying), Japanese (studying, JLPT N3)

Postby dampingwire » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:39 pm

Give or take 1000 hours per language (accounting for personal study time too) at 40 hours per week, that's two languages per year. Starting at 18 (you're in school before then!) and "retiring" at 70 that gives you 52 years.

So 104 languages if you make a full time career out of it.

I can't find any claims that anyone has ever reached three digits: Mezzofanti knew 39, Ziad Fazah claims 59, Kenneth Hale had "over 50". Are there any higher claims?
5 x
新完全マスター N2聴解 : 94 / 103新完全マスター N2読解 : 99 / 177
新完全マスター N2文法 : 197 / 197TY Comp. German : 0 / 389

Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Postby Ani » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:49 pm

So in the title you say "a person" and then you say
For the purpose of this poll, I'm actually asking how many languages you can reach the ability to converse at a B2 level or better in, concurrently.
. So that seems like we should answer this poll with what we think are our personal capabilities in this lifetime? Your poll options are too large to be very useful because like 98% percent of people reading this will be under 20 and the next 1.999% will be in the second category.

Of course if you are trying to measure self esteem.. I'm sure you'll get votes a lot higher than have been demonstrated realistic.
6 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

dampingwire
Blue Belt
Languages: Italian (N), English (N), French (poor, not studying), Japanese (studying, JLPT N3)

Postby dampingwire » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:33 pm

Ani wrote:So in the title you say "a person" and then you say
For the purpose of this poll, I'm actually asking how many languages you can reach the ability to converse at a B2 level or better in, concurrently.
. So that seems like we should answer this poll with what we think are our personal capabilities in this lifetime?

If you read "you" as "one" then I think that's what the poll is asking: "how many languages do you think it is possible for a person to learn".
4 x
新完全マスター N2聴解 : 94 / 103新完全マスター N2読解 : 99 / 177
新完全マスター N2文法 : 197 / 197TY Comp. German : 0 / 389

aaleks
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N)

Postby aaleks » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:07 pm

For me the best case scenario would be to learn three languages to a B2 or better (in all skills): English, French, German. But a more realistic scenario is a B2 receptive/passive, i.e. reading and listening, in French and German, and maybe not as realistic as desired to learn English to a C2 level. This doesn't mean that there are no other languages I'm interested in, but I try to be realistic.

If "you" means "one" my answer to the poll will be the same - less than 20. IMO people who learned more than 20 languages are an exception (actually those who learn 10-15-20 are an exception as well).

edit: typos
Last edited by aaleks on Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
3 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:16 pm

I know a fellow who knew 5 languages before he was 18. He lived near the border of France & Italy, he spoke French, Italian, English, German, Spanish. I think his mother was German & Father Spanish. Learned English in school and French & Italian from locals. So, assuming he continued on learning at 1-2 languages a year he could have learned at least 5 more to a high level. His English was flawless, and easy C2.
5 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

LinguaPony
Orange Belt
Languages: Russian (N), English (Proficient), Italian (Intermediate), M. Chinese (Beginner), German (Just started), Yiddish (half-cooked A1, long since forgotten, but now queued for revival)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7160

Postby LinguaPony » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:40 pm

Bella Devyatkina speaks 8 languages at the age of 5. At 4 she could speak 7 languages: Russian, English, French, German, Spanish, Chinese and Arabic, and then she also learnt Italian. At this rate she can be quite good by the time she is 40. Probably even better than Sauerwein with his 75 languages.

But being so much older than Bella, I have to set much less ambitious goals for myself. 8 languages by 2027, with four of them at C2 and the rest at C1 would be a success.
3 x

DangerDave2010
Orange Belt
Languages: gibberish (N)

Postby DangerDave2010 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:52 pm

I guess I can only learn a small number of languages, before I lose interest in language learning.
3 x

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:12 pm

I've probably reached my personal limit for high level languages. It takes a lot of effort and sacrifice to keep them at a high level. Leosmith has written before about B2 being the "sweet-spot" for languages in that a language at this level doesn't need to be studied but merely maintained. It also takes less time and effort aiming for B2 to get most of the same benefits that a learner acquires by advancing to C levels at much greater cost to time and effort. I can't fault his logic. He's on to something here as it relates to quantity over quality.

If I learn any more languages, I think B2 may/should be the logical stopping point for me... but I'm not logical... if I were, I would have never learned Djudeo-espanyol/Ladino. It's a double-edged sword. I know that learning a language to B2 is enough, but I also know what C levels will do for me. That being said, there is indeed such a thing as good enough, as Leosmith has proven. He's more well rounded in languages than I am. It is a rare polyglot who has over a half a dozen languages at C2 or even C1.
13 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”