Any Irish-language music recommendations apart from Enya/Clannad?

General discussion about learning languages
n_j_f
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)

Studying:
French (B1), German (A2)

Up Next:
Persian, Russian

Flirting With:
Sanskrit

On the back-burner:
Turkish, Irish

Bucket List:
Spanish, Norwegian, Swedish, Hindi/Urdu, Ancient Greek, Latin, Old Church Slavonic, Modern Greek, Tamil, Sinhalese, Malayalam, Welsh, Arabic

Any Irish-language music recommendations apart from Enya/Clannad?

Postby n_j_f » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:06 am

As part of learning Irish, I would like to incorporate music and lyrics into my studies. Can anyone recommend something that's a bit more indie/alternative? Now, before anyone tells me to "Google it" ;) . . . I've done lots of searches and can't seem to find anything apart from traditional folk or vaguely New Age-y stuff like Enya, Clannad, etc. Each to their own, but the typical fiddle-tin whistle-accordion Irish music is not really my cup of tea.

It's a tall order, but can anyone recommend any Irish-language music, especially neo-folk, dark wave or something (neo)-classical? Not a huge fan of pop music or stuff like that, but happy to go out of my comfort zone if need be.

Thanks in advance.
0 x

Xenops
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Danish (A2), Japanese (rusty), Nansha (constructing)
On break: Japanese (approx. N4), Norwegian (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16797

Re: Any Irish-language music recommendations apart from Enya/Clannad?

Postby Xenops » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:42 am

Moya/Marie Brennan was a singer for Clannad, and she has her own stuff. I believe she and Enya are sisters. She does have a lot of Christian content in her songs.

1 x
Check out my comic at: https://atannan.com/

Josquin
Blue Belt
Languages: German (native); English (advanced fluency); French (basic fluency); Italian, Swedish, Russian, Irish (intermediate); Dutch, Icelandic, Japanese, Portuguese, Scottish Gaelic (beginner); Latin, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Sanskrit (reading only)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=737

Postby Josquin » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:40 pm

As you say, most of the music in Irish belongs to the category traditional Irish music, i.e. tin-whistle, accordion, etc.

However, there are some people trying to bring traditional Irish music into the 21st century, such as:

Liam Ó Maonlaí

Maria McCool

Seo Linn

The UCD Choral Scholars

There's even an Irish version of Adele's "Hello", although the Irish in it is rather questionable

Other than that, you'll be hard-pressed to find "modern" music in Irish. Irish is closely related to traditional Gaeltacht culture, while everything modern in Ireland seems to be happening in English.
7 x
Oró, sé do bheatha abhaile! Anois ar theacht an tsamhraidh.

William Camden
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), German (fluent), Turkish (fluent), Russian (fluent), French (semi-fluent), Spanish (semi-fluent), am studying Polish, have some knowledge of it, also studying modern Greek, basic knowledge of Arabic (mostly MSA, some exposure to colloquial dialects), basic knowledge of Latin and Italian, beginner in Scottish Gaelic.

Postby William Camden » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:48 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJWRkCfq1K0

Karan Casey from County Waterford sings some Irish-language songs although they too tend to be traditional.
1 x
: 4321 / 4321Greek Memrise

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:13 pm

I don't know of any dark wave/neo-folk/neo-classical music in Irish (and I personally associate neo-classical with art/music/architecture from the late 1700s into the early 1800s - or indeed neo-classical heavy metal by fellow countryman Yngwie J. Malmsteen or Vinnie Moore).

Most of the Irish I hear is trad, and since you don't want pop either, you can ignore TG Lurgan (the ones mentioned above doing covers) or Inni-K (who occasionally sings in Irish). You mention Enya and Clannad (not that they're super trad either - if that matters), so something semi-trad like Nightnoise might fit the bill. Not too much pop, not too traditional, not too New Agey or "Celtic" (no harps, no druids...). If nothing else, you get "authentic" Irish since siblings Tríona Ní Dhomhnaill and Mícheál Ó Domhnaill draw a lot of their repertoire from Rann na Feirste. And should you ever want traditional songs in Irish without fiddle etc. there's plenty. Just give me a shout.
7 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2), French, dabbling elsewhere sometimes
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=757

Postby galaxyrocker » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:05 am

Unfortunately, you're not going to find much stuff that isn't traditional. And what you do find will likely be sung by non-native speakers and is, for the most part, not really a good resource (directly translated from English in idioms, horrible pronunciation, etc.). That said, you can find some new sean-nós singing, and newly composed songs. You might also look through Youtube for some stuff from the Oireachtas as well. There was a rock group back in the 80s, the Fírín, or something like that. They didn't do much, I think only two songs are on Youtube, but they have one about Oisín that I really like, so you could try that.
2 x

n_j_f
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)

Studying:
French (B1), German (A2)

Up Next:
Persian, Russian

Flirting With:
Sanskrit

On the back-burner:
Turkish, Irish

Bucket List:
Spanish, Norwegian, Swedish, Hindi/Urdu, Ancient Greek, Latin, Old Church Slavonic, Modern Greek, Tamil, Sinhalese, Malayalam, Welsh, Arabic

Postby n_j_f » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:53 am

jeff_lindqvist wrote:I don't know of any dark wave/neo-folk/neo-classical music in Irish (and I personally associate neo-classical with art/music/architecture from the late 1700s into the early 1800s - or indeed neo-classical heavy metal by fellow countryman Yngwie J. Malmsteen or Vinnie Moore).

Most of the Irish I hear is trad, and since you don't want pop either, you can ignore TG Lurgan (the ones mentioned above doing covers) or Inni-K (who occasionally sings in Irish). You mention Enya and Clannad (not that they're super trad either - if that matters), so something semi-trad like Nightnoise might fit the bill. Not too much pop, not too traditional, not too New Agey or "Celtic" (no harps, no druids...). If nothing else, you get "authentic" Irish since siblings Tríona Ní Dhomhnaill and Mícheál Ó Domhnaill draw a lot of their repertoire from Rann na Feirste. And should you ever want traditional songs in Irish without fiddle etc. there's plenty. Just give me a shout.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Enya and Clannad I would tend to put into the "new age" category rather than the traditional category. Although I'm not adverse to folk music — Shirley Collins being one of my favourite vocalists — I tend to find a lot of folk music to be too 'samey' and more suited for festivals and the like. I wouldn't say I 'dislike' it, it just doesn't do anything for me.

With its emphasis on Indo-European identity and traditions, I was hoping that there were one or two neo-folk artists that recorded at least partly in Irish. Considering almost complete absence of Irish-as-a-first-language, genres like dark wave would be too much of a stretch. The only music I've really come across that would be outside the traditional folk and the new age genres, would be a black metal band called Primordial who have been around since the mid-90s (only some of their songs are in Irish) and Eithne, an opera by Robert O'Dwyer (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTtCcOwmIXo).
0 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”