How do you create your vocabulary list in the languages?

General discussion about learning languages
spanglish
White Belt
Languages: Spanish(N) English(beginner)

How do you create your vocabulary list in the languages?

Postby spanglish » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:07 pm

What is their style on which they are based?

my style is more

frequency use

grammar
Verb tenses
connectors
0 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Re: How do you create your vocabulary list in the languages?

Postby Brun Ugle » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:55 pm

When I'm at a low level, I don't bother much with vocabulary lists. I just follow a textbook or other course, usually several of them. The vocabulary in them will usually come up enough to make me learn it without additional effort. After that, I start watching TV and reading books. Again, I will pick up a lot of the more common vocabulary without making much effort. As I get more advanced and need to learn less frequent words, then I start making vocabulary lists by writing down the unknown words in TV shows, books, newspaper articles, etc. I also try to start writing and speaking and make note of words that I needed and didn't know.
9 x

David1917
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Professional Level: Russian, Spanish

Postby David1917 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:36 pm

My strategy is as above, I soak up a bunch of resources, and then once I feel competent in the language, step 1 would be to go through a Frequency Chart (I like Wyner's 625 on Fluent Forever) and anything that doesn't immediately come to mind I put in Anki. Then I do intensive reading and/or a more advanced grammar book. Anything unknown goes in. Focus of course on areas of interest/necessity. For example, my next list of words for Chinese is going to be the names of Asian countries and capitals, and major cities in Russia. I just realized at this moment that I don't even know how to say/read St. Petersburg!
2 x

Willow
Yellow Belt
Languages: Русский (N), English, polski, deutsch

Postby Willow » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:32 pm

I create it while reading books, mostly. Then goes listening to music, watching films, ect :)
2 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:04 am

In the beginning I mostly use the new words I run into during intense textstudies (mostly based on bilingual texts), but as soon as I can get through the study texts without jotting down every other word I start wordlists based on dictionaries.

I practically never enter new words encountered during my extensive activities, mostly because I don't want to stop these activities to look words up or write them down, and therefore I have forgotten the new words long before I'm ready to write my next wordlist.
1 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”