Quick academic survey on language learning habits

General discussion about learning languages
Pregixa
Languages: Portuguese (N), English B2

Quick academic survey on language learning habits

Postby Pregixa » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:12 pm

Hi, for my university classes my group plans to develop a free form language evaluation tool, as part of the process, we need to perform a market study as such i would greatly appreciate it if you could spend 5 minutes to answer this form.

https://goo.gl/forms/jkNoy0d3fwiyC8yj2

If you have anything to add or any question, fell free to post it here. Thank you for your time.
0 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Re: Quick academic survey on language learning habits

Postby Cavesa » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:00 am

I am not sure how the two parts "app feedback" and "demand for a testing tool" fit together. A testing tool is something very different (and more useful than most apps), and could complement any kind of resources.

In the "app feedback" part, I think the survey isn't following any clear point and is too superficial to gather any message at all. It looks like it supposes that language learning=using apps, which is absolute nonsense and a myth about independent learning. No, it is a huge pile of tools put together, so the whole question, whether or not we learnt a language with the app is pointless. Perhaps more information could come from asking whether the app fulfilled our expectations, or whether we think it is performing the designed functions well.

However, a testing tool would be great. But there are already many such tools for grammar, reading comprehension, listening comprehension. But I would really like a platform, where the active skills could be tested. Probably for a fee, which would however be lower than the official exams of course. I think there is a gap on the market, where people trying to choose the proper exam level, or people wanting just to get tested reliably but cheaply might love such a service. And the service would be independent from teaching, therefore more objective. But it is not easy to think of a way it would work, as you seem to by trying to design an app.
4 x

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Re: Quick academic survey on language learning habits

Postby IronMike » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:48 am

I filled out the survey, but a few notes:

a) I recognize that English is not your native language, but this poll could use some editing:

Did you find the app/site evaluation methods sufficient enough to say that you have learned the language? Without a qualifier like sufficient this question sounds incomplete;
Would you like that a permanent record of your level and other stats changes to be kept for visualization? The last half of this question is confusing. Perhaps a better way of wording it would be: Would you like that be interested in the evaluation tool maintaining a permanent record of your level, to include changes over time? and other stats changes to be kept for visualization?
you can choose more then one *than
writting *writing
Hearing comprehension "listening comprehension" is probably better.

b) Asking someone if their "attempt was a success"...well, how does the person define success? I'd be happy with some languages if all I could do is read articles of interest to me (French, for instance), while for other languages I want my speaking and listening skills to be proficient enough I can hold a conversation on some of my favorite topics with little to no errors.

c) Under the feedback question (types of feedback we'd prefer), all the choices seem more applicable to a tool which evaluates productive skills (speaking, writing). None of the feedback options seem appropriate for evaluating receptive skills (listening, reading).
2 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

Return to “General Language Discussion”