I'm Not Learning ____ Language Because...

General discussion about learning languages
cathrynm
Orange Belt
Languages: Japanese(JLPT N3), Finnish(beginner), English(native)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=721

Re: I'm Not Learning ____ Language Because...

Postby cathrynm » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:52 am

Still trying to stay focused on Japanese/Finnish. Actually, I don't think being a polyglot is really my aim so much. I think more likely I'll be on Finnish and Japanese until the end.
2 x

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Professional: ES, RU
Speak well: DE, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU, FI
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), BG, EUS, ZH (CAN), and a whole lot more.
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Postby tarvos » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:47 am

I'm not learning Dutch, because I cannot imagine spending much time in a country where everyone is twice as high as me. (And I am talking about real height here, no double sense intended! :-D )

Not everyone is that tall. Most of my family are average height or even far below. In fact I am the only tall one along with three cousins who live abroad :D
2 x
I hope your world is kind.

Is a girl.

garyb
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native: English
Advanced: Italian, French
Intermediate: Spanish
Beginner: German, Japanese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1855

Postby garyb » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:52 am

I suppose this thread is about languages that you would like to learn, or feel like you "should" learn, yet aren't learning - as opposed to why you're not studying however many thousand of them!

For me the big one is Greek: I'm half-Greek but didn't learn the language as a child and have never lived in the country so I've never felt much of a connection with it, and it also doesn't help that it's bloody difficult compared to other languages I've studied. I learnt some basics a few years ago before a visit to Greece, and I've been saying for years that I want to learn it properly at least to an intermediate level, but I'm putting it off until I reach a higher level in my current languages which are easier and more useful to me. I have met a few Greeks in my city recently so that might help motivate me.

I've also been curious about Portuguese, but feel like another Romance language at this point would make my brain explode. Juggling three of them is enough! It's still in the "someday, maybe" list but I'd rather get very good at Spanish before touching it.
6 x

Jim
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), French (advanced intermediate), Spanish (frosty intermediate), German (beginner)

Also interested in (but zero ability in): Russian, Persian, Japanese, Italian, Korean and Georgian.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5766

Postby Jim » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:36 pm

I’m not learning Spanish because I can’t decide which accent (and I don’t really have time).
2 x
La hora más oscura es la que viene antes del nacimiento del sol

Merci de corriger mes erreurs !

Willow
Yellow Belt
Languages: Русский (N), English, polski, deutsch

Postby Willow » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:12 pm

I'm not learning Spanish, because currently I have too much on my plate: I'm getting through German, trying to maintain English and Polish, have work to do and plenty of other hobbies.
I'm quite reluctant to learn Italian because even though I'm truly in love with the language I'm afraid that in case I finally decide to commit myself to Spanish, I won't be able to differentiate them both, and also because of all reasons mentioned above.
3 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:03 am

tarvos wrote:
I'm not learning Dutch, because I cannot imagine spending much time in a country where everyone is twice as high as me. (And I am talking about real height here, no double sense intended! :-D )

Not everyone is that tall. Most of my family are average height or even far below. In fact I am the only tall one along with three cousins who live abroad :D

The "that tall" term is the problem. Compared to me, most people are "really really tall". I know it sounds stupid, but I really felt great in France or Spain, where I am absolutely normal for a woman. In Japan, I was tall, that was weird too :-D
1 x

nooj
Brown Belt
Languages: english (n)

Postby nooj » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:18 pm

I'm not learning Esperanto or any other constructed auxiliary language because it just doesn't interest me. Not culturally, not linguistically, not nothing. I don't think I ever will. The world is full of way too many interesting natural languages to spend time on a language that is to me as interesting as cardboard. I'm sure it is interesting to other people, just not to me.
3 x
زندگی را با عشق
نوش جان باید کرد

Ogrim
Brown Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N) English (C2), French (C2), Spanish (C2), German (B2), Romansh (B2), Italian (B2), Catalan (B2), Russian (B1), Latin (B2), Dutch (B1), Croatian (A2), Arabic (on hold), Ancient Greek (learning), Romanian (on hold)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?t=873

Postby Ogrim » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:21 pm

garyb wrote:I suppose this thread is about languages that you would like to learn, or feel like you "should" learn, yet aren't learning - as opposed to why you're not studying however many thousand of them!

I understand the thread in the same way as garyb, because there are a lot of languages out there but time is limited and I have to concentrate on one or two at a time. So these are the languages I've strongly considered learning:

I really would have liked to learn a Gaelic language, mostly Irish, but Scottish Gaelic would also be nice. However, I've always put it off, not only because there are few native speakers out there, but also because the cultural offer seems relatively limited (notwithstanding Gaelic radio and TV programmes).

I could say the same about Basque, or Euskara if you wish. A language that seems too difficult to be worth the investment for what I eventually could get out of it apart from pure intellectual satisfaction.

Armenian is a language I could learn just for the writing system :D . In addition it is a country and people with an interesting story and a large diaspora. I toyed with it a few years ago, but never found the time to really start learning it.

Serbian/Croatian is another language that tempts me, but I do not want to add another Slavic language before getting to an advanced level in Russian.

Finally I have been toying with the idea of Turkish. A huge and important culture, a big international player and my boss is Turkish ;) . That will also be for another day, if ever.
4 x
Ich grolle nicht

Xenops
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Danish (A2), Japanese (rusty), Nansha (constructing)
On break: Japanese (approx. N4), Norwegian (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16797

Postby Xenops » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:08 pm

Cavesa wrote:
tarvos wrote:

The "that tall" term is the problem. Compared to me, most people are "really really tall". I know it sounds stupid, but I really felt great in France or Spain, where I am absolutely normal for a woman. In Japan, I was tall, that was weird too :-D

If you visit the U.S., then stick to the East Coast. ;) On the West Coast, I’m short at five feet four inches (or 162.6 cm), whereas in New England, I’m average height.

Willow wrote:I'm not learning Spanish, because currently I have too much on my plate: I'm getting through German, trying to maintain English and Polish, have work to do and plentyr of other hobbies.
I'm quite reluctant to learn Italian because even though I'm truly in love with the language I'm afraid that in case I finally decide to commit myself to Spanish, I won't be able to differentiate them both, and also because of all reasons mentioned above.

I read this, and I have to wonder: do you need Spanish? It sounds like you’re learning Spanish when your heart is set on Italian. Or perhaps you love both?

Ogrim wrote:Finally I have been toying with the idea of Turkish. A huge and important culture, a big international player and my boss is Turkish ;) . That will also be for another day, if ever.

Perhaps, should that someday arrive, we’ll join or make a study group. ;)
1 x
Check out my comic at: https://atannan.com/

Henkkles
Green Belt
Languages: N FI | A EN SV | I EE RU | B FR LN

Postby Henkkles » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:48 pm

Anything I'm not learning is because I don't know a speaker.
0 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”