Languages with the Least Amount of English Speakers

General discussion about learning languages
DaveBee
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native). French (studying).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7466

Re: Languages with the Least Amount of English Speakers

Postby DaveBee » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:42 pm

William Camden wrote:Years ago in Istanbul I helped a Spanish speaker (I don't know if he was from Spain or Latin America though his accent suggested the latter) who was trying to find out how to get to a destination on the metro. I translated his question to metro employees and then their response. I remember thinking, "Good luck with Spanish in Istanbul. You might have trouble finding someone who understands English, much less Castilian."
I remember a young spanish lady in London having trouble forming her question in english, and asking me if I spoke spanish, doubt she had much luck with that. :-)

(There was some pointing at maps, and she got on the right tube train.)
0 x

nooj
Brown Belt
Languages: english (n)

Postby nooj » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:26 am

William Camden wrote:Years ago in Istanbul I helped a Spanish speaker (I don't know if he was from Spain or Latin America though his accent suggested the latter) who was trying to find out how to get to a destination on the metro. I translated his question to metro employees and then their response. I remember thinking, "Good luck with Spanish in Istanbul. You might have trouble finding someone who understands English, much less Castilian."

If he was lucky, he would have run into a Ladino speaker.

I have heard stories of Spaniards travelling in Turkey and meeting Judeo-Spanish speakers.
1 x
زندگی را با عشق
نوش جان باید کرد

Tillumadoguenirurm
Orange Belt
Languages: English

Postby Tillumadoguenirurm » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:35 am

I've been to Spain several times this year, I think it really depends on what city or village you're in, even in the touristy regions. I've spent most of my time in a place in Alicante lately and there I've come across Spaniards who speak passable English only once or twice, yet two cities away "everyone" seems to be able to speak English.
1 x

William Camden
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), German (fluent), Turkish (fluent), Russian (fluent), French (semi-fluent), Spanish (semi-fluent), am studying Polish, have some knowledge of it, also studying modern Greek, basic knowledge of Arabic (mostly MSA, some exposure to colloquial dialects), basic knowledge of Latin and Italian, beginner in Scottish Gaelic.

Postby William Camden » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:50 am

nooj wrote:

If he was lucky, he would have run into a Ladino speaker.

I have heard stories of Spaniards travelling in Turkey and meeting Judeo-Spanish speakers.

That has occurred to me, but there are in excess of 10 million people in Istanbul. Ladino is an endangered language and I doubt whether there are more than a couple of thousand Ladino speakers in Istanbul. I have certainly never met one.
Later note: Wikipedia estimates 10,000 Ladino speakers in Turkey. I would suppose the vast majority are in Istanbul. I have only met one Turk who spoke Spanish well (we were doing simultaneous interpreting - I was doing Turkish to English, he was doing Turkish to Spanish) and he was not, as far as I know, a Ladino speaker. A Turkish friend once asked me about learning Spanish. I said, half-seriously, "Do you know any Jews?" She had never met one in her entire life (they are a tiny minority in Turkey).
1 x
: 4321 / 4321Greek Memrise

Return to “General Language Discussion”