Benefits of standardized exams

General discussion about learning languages
rtickner
White Belt
Languages: English (N), German (B2), French (0)

Re: Benefits of standardized exams

Postby rtickner » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:04 am

I've sat the A1, A2, B1 and B2 exams at the Goethe-Institut in Sydney. I aspire to take the C1 and also work up the French exam ladder at the Alliance Francaise.

I have no professional requirement or use for foreign languages, but the exams for me are like mile markers in the fuzzy soup of learning a language. Great to get that external validation from native speakers. Can get expensive though.
5 x

aravinda
Green Belt
Languages: .

Postby aravinda » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:45 am

Regarding jobs, I think it depends on your field of work/study and the country. For medical jobs in English-speaking countries, a test like IELTS is mandatory. The employers and recruiters always ask for a test result (~ C1 or higher) within last two years. Even if they don't, there is no way you can get the required registration/licence from the Medical Board (AHPRA in Australia) without a valid English test. As far as I know, it's the same for some other professions too (Engineering, Nursing, Law etc).
Whether it's good or bad, I don't know. (I would rather do without :D )
The same for (skilled?) migration. No English test, no visa.
English testing is big business.
1 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Postby PeterMollenburg » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:05 pm

aravinda wrote:Regarding jobs, I think it depends on your field of work/study and the country. For medical jobs in English-speaking countries, a test like IELTS is mandatory. The employers and recruiters always ask for a test result (~ C1 or higher) within last two years. Even if they don't, there is no way you can get the required registration/licence from the Medical Board (AHPRA in Australia) without a valid English test. As far as I know, it's the same for some other professions too (Engineering, Nursing, Law etc).

It is also required for many European languages. My wife was offered a job as a nurse in Rotterdam, and despite staff and management being very happy to work with her in a mixture of English and Dutch until her Dutch improved, HR could not allow her to be employed without the mandatory B2 Dutch certificate. Thus, no job eventuated despite her much more than sufficient nursing skills, as she didn’t have that certificate and wasn’t in a position to pass it in the very near future.
3 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:17 pm

PeterMollenburg wrote:
aravinda wrote:Regarding jobs, I think it depends on your field of work/study and the country. For medical jobs in English-speaking countries, a test like IELTS is mandatory. The employers and recruiters always ask for a test result (~ C1 or higher) within last two years. Even if they don't, there is no way you can get the required registration/licence from the Medical Board (AHPRA in Australia) without a valid English test. As far as I know, it's the same for some other professions too (Engineering, Nursing, Law etc).

It is also required for many European languages. My wife was offered a job as a nurse in Rotterdam, and despite staff and management being very happy to work with her in a mixture of English and Dutch until her Dutch improved, HR could not allow her to be employed without the mandatory B2 Dutch certificate. Thus, no job eventuated despite her much more than sufficient nursing skills, as she didn’t have that certificate and wasn’t in a position to pass it in the very near future.

Germany: B2 certificate required for work in healthcare. B1 skills as the starting level can be accepted but the translator working by your side is (at least partially) paid from your salary.
Spain: C1 certificate required for work in healthcare
5 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”