Need your help decyphering something !

General discussion about learning languages
GallicGuy
Languages: French (N), English (C2), German (A2), Russian (A1), Korean (A1).

Need your help decyphering something !

Postby GallicGuy » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:55 am

Hello,
Im new and need your help you language learners and learned people.
Recently Scholagladiatoria (Matt Easton), an antique collectionner, seller and youtuber got his hands on an Indo-Persian battle axe. And we need your help decyphering the engravings, the main problem being we do not know what language nor script it is.

Here's what we know and deducted.
It's an indo-persian battle axe, most likely 17th or 18th century.
Probably from modern day Pakistan/Afghanistan/India.

Here are the pictures:

Here we are, hope you can help !
Dont hesitate to ask questions if you need precision I will try to provide them to the best of my capacity.
0 x

mdchaskar
Languages: My native language is Hindi / Marathi. However, we speak English. I am keen to learn Japanese. Willing to offer Hindi lessons. Interested in language and cultural exchange.

Re: Need your help decyphering something !

Postby mdchaskar » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:24 am

The bottom picture (horizontal rod with the downside curvature like shaped disc, made of a sharp metal) is one of those of Handy weapon used to be placed in the hands of Indian Gods like Ganapati / Ganesh, it's called as ANKUSH (it literally means to have a control on - something and / or to restrict someone from advancing in fight).

Then from the top picture, i can identify the SECOND object, top row from the left, it's a weapon, in Hindi / Sanskrut (Indian language) it's called as KHANJAR, it is used to attack an opponent with his right hand, you can easily make out the GRIP which one can hold, pointing the sharp edge to attack an enemy in one to one fight when the fighter is within the range so that he can easily attack and kill the opponent.

Do you need more details, pl contact.
0 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”