Adrianslont
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Learning Indonesian and French

Re: Words that should exist but don't

Postby Adrianslont » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:14 am

Vedun wrote:
Adrianslont wrote:
Rhian wrote:
Vedun wrote:Basic words for different smells, like there are blue, green and red for colours and sweet, savory and spicy for tastes. Infact this is an overwhelmingly common lexical gap and such words occur only in one or a couple of languages in Papua New Guinea.

Verbs for motion derived from the respective preposition, e.g. go through, go over, go out, go in between. Georgian has such verbs.

There should be a word for people who are unusually sensitive to bad smells. I spent the last few hours in a group where one person had slightly bad breath. Whereas most people would carry on and not care much, to me it was nauseating. I'm not a fusspot, I just seem a little more sensitive to smells.

Rhian, there is a word for people who are sensitive to odours: osmophobic.

Verdun, English has a number of words for motion plus preposition combos, too eg go into = enter or penetrate, go out = exit, go up = climb or scale or ascend and more.

Cheers.

They are not derived from the respective prepositions though, such verbs would be *throughen, *overen, *betweenen.

Ah, I see - my poor reading of your previous post. But I guess English doesn’t need to derive the verbs from the prepositions - it already has verbs which describe going into, up, down etc. So there is no lexical gap as such - just a different way of filling the gap?
1 x

Vedun
Orange Belt
Languages: Bulgarian, English
German, Italian
Russian, Finnish
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3009

Postby Vedun » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:01 pm

Yes, for most common prepositions anyway - all languages have such verbs (or means to express such concepts if verbs are a closed class). But a productive preposition to verb derivation or even productive preposition to some other part of speech derivation is a cool feature that's rarely seen.
1 x

Zegpoddle
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), rusty French and German (formerly B2 in each), Russian (beginner), Mandarin Chinese (A2/HSK3)

Postby Zegpoddle » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:15 pm

Radiovisiotraumaticodissonance (noun): The sense of shock and disbelief you feel upon finally seeing a photo of a journalist or program host whom you have known only by voice for many years and for whom you had concocted in your mind a completely inaccurate visual image. Example sentence: "Oh my God, I just saw what Sylvia Poggioli / Anthony Kuhn / Robert Siegel / Ophibia Quist-Arcton / [insert name of any National Public Radio reporter here] really looks like, and I am suffering from intense radiovisiotraumaticodissonance! No, no, no! S/he can't POSSIBLY look like that! That's not the right face or hairstyle at all for that voice! It's not I who have been mistaken all these years; it's his/her actual appearance that's all wrong!" :o
4 x
Graciously begging our alien overlords to remember to refresh the batteries regularly in their toddler’s cosmic Game Boy on which the simulation that is my life is running ;)

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:27 pm

I once heard a Swedish radio reporter tell such a story - he met someone in the street who was shocked to find out that he was the guy on radio: "Please don't destroy my illusion of what you look like!". :shock:
3 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:00 am

For my fellow logophiles, this book is what you're looking for. I got it used pretty cheap, around three USD. There's also a kindle version, at least on the U.S. amazon.
1 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

Bluepaint
Brown Belt

Postby Bluepaint » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:45 am

IronMike wrote:For my fellow logophiles, this book is what you're looking for. I got it used pretty cheap, around three USD. There's also a kindle version, at least on the U.S. amazon.

29 words for kinds of eyebrows? Albanian's going on the target list.
1 x

Language Heritage
Languages: English (Native)
Spanish (C1)
Hebrew (B2)

Postby Language Heritage » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:18 am

I live in Cusco, Perú and am from the USA. My girlfriend is from Cusco and speaks really good English. We invent words all the time as a running joke. Most are Spanglish, but some are Spanish conjugations of English worlds. Example - lunchear - to take lunch. Everything is "ito/ita" here so we add these suffixes to English words as well. Like, "I am going to take a nap-cito."

Languages are a lot of fun! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Language Heritage on Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”