Words that should exist but don't

General discussion about learning languages
smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Re: Words that should exist but don't

Postby smallwhite » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:41 pm

LLorgger
2 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

Aozora
Orange Belt
Languages: English(N), Japanese (N2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17971

Postby Aozora » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:39 pm

My linguistics professor called these lexical gaps and I remember she gave an example of muddy snow, which is pretty common here in the winter but we don't have a word for it. "Snud" was suggested but making words up doesn't work unless everyone starts using it.
1 x
Super Challenge Books: 14 / 100
Super Challenge Films: 63 / 100

Vedun
Orange Belt
Languages: Bulgarian, English
German, Italian
Russian, Finnish
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3009

Postby Vedun » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:18 pm

Basic words for different smells, like there are blue, green and red for colours and sweet, savory and spicy for tastes. Infact this is an overwhelmingly common lexical gap and such words occur only in one or a couple of languages in Papua New Guinea.

Verbs for motion derived from the respective preposition, e.g. go through, go over, go out, go in between. Georgian has such verbs.
2 x

Teango
Blue Belt
Languages: en (n)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 9&p=235545

Postby Teango » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:38 pm

Aozora wrote:My linguistics professor called these lexical gaps and I remember she gave an example of muddy snow, which is pretty common here in the winter but we don't have a word for it. "Snud" was suggested but making words up doesn't work unless everyone starts using it.

How about snirt? :)
1 x

dampingwire
Blue Belt
Languages: Italian (N), English (N), French (poor, not studying), Japanese (studying, JLPT N3)

Postby dampingwire » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:06 pm

Teango wrote:How about snirt? :)

For what it's worth, that already means "a snicker; a suppress laugh". Which is quite appropriate really, as that was my initial reaction to both the Wiktionary entry and the OED entry :-)
0 x
新完全マスター N2聴解 : 94 / 103新完全マスター N2読解 : 99 / 177
新完全マスター N2文法 : 197 / 197TY Comp. German : 0 / 389

Tillumadoguenirurm
Orange Belt
Languages: English

Postby Tillumadoguenirurm » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:10 pm

Your topic made me think of this book, https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Meaning_of_Liff.

"The book is a "dictionary of things that there aren't any words for yet". Rather than inventing new words, Adams and Lloyd picked a number of existing place-names and assigned interesting meanings to them"
0 x

Bluepaint
Brown Belt

Postby Bluepaint » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:29 pm

Vedun wrote:Basic words for different smells, like there are blue, green and red for colours and sweet, savory and spicy for tastes. Infact this is an overwhelmingly common lexical gap and such words occur only in one or a couple of languages in Papua New Guinea.

Verbs for motion derived from the respective preposition, e.g. go through, go over, go out, go in between. Georgian has such verbs.

There should be a word for people who are unusually sensitive to bad smells. I spent the last few hours in a group where one person had slightly bad breath. Whereas most people would carry on and not care much, to me it was nauseating. I'm not a fusspot, I just seem a little more sensitive to smells.
0 x

Adrianslont
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Learning Indonesian and French

Postby Adrianslont » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:21 pm

Rhian wrote:
Vedun wrote:Basic words for different smells, like there are blue, green and red for colours and sweet, savory and spicy for tastes. Infact this is an overwhelmingly common lexical gap and such words occur only in one or a couple of languages in Papua New Guinea.

There should be a word for people who are unusually sensitive to bad smells. I spent the last few hours in a group where one person had slightly bad breath. Whereas most people would carry on and not care much, to me it was nauseating. I'm not a fusspot, I just seem a little more sensitive to smells.

Rhian, there is a word for people who are sensitive to odours: osmophobic.

Verdun, English has a number of words for motion plus preposition combos, too eg go into = enter or penetrate, go out = exit, go up = climb or scale or ascend and more.

Cheers.
1 x

Teango
Blue Belt
Languages: en (n)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 9&p=235545

Postby Teango » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:40 am

Tillumadoguenirurm wrote:Your topic made me think of this book, https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Meaning_of_Liff.

Ditto! I was always quite fond of the entry "Abilene (adj.) Descriptive of the pleasing coolness on the reverse side of the pillow." (p. 2) :)
2 x

Vedun
Orange Belt
Languages: Bulgarian, English
German, Italian
Russian, Finnish
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3009

Postby Vedun » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:48 am

Adrianslont wrote:
Rhian wrote:

Rhian, there is a word for people who are sensitive to odours: osmophobic.

Verdun, English has a number of words for motion plus preposition combos, too eg go into = enter or penetrate, go out = exit, go up = climb or scale or ascend and more.

Cheers.

They are not derived from the respective prepositions though, such verbs would be *throughen, *overen, *betweenen.
2 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”