What is the perfect language course?

General discussion about learning languages
reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Re: What is the perfect language course?

Postby reineke » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:36 pm

Käfer wrote:
BOLIO wrote:A series of graded readers, say ten volumes, that has a native speaker reading the audio. It would take you from toddler level to native materials. It would start as interlinear dual text. Then move on to L2 only but newly introduced vocabulary highlighted and explained in the margins.

Also, grammatical explanations would be at the bottom of the page. It would have a complete glossary at the back of each book of the series. It would cover 5000 of the more common words of the languages.

Wow, that sounds amazing. I would just add some additional focus on pronunciation: descriptions of all the sounds with IPA and physical descriptions of mouth positions, notes on allophones, stress patterns, clusters that change the pronunciation of their components.

And maybe I'd also add a few choices of speakers for the audio, or at least one male and one female speaker.

A closeup video of the speaker's (hopefully sensual) mouth? Your ideal course resembles an awful lot the Homer - Homer Simpson's perfect car.

1 x

Käfer
White Belt
Languages: English (N), German (B1), Korean (beginner)

Re: What is the perfect language course?

Postby Käfer » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:09 pm

reineke wrote:A closeup video of the speaker's (hopefully sensual) mouth? Your ideal course resembles an awful lot the Homer - Homer Simpson's perfect car.

I'm afraid I don't know the reference, but perhaps my post did not come off as intended.

The voice selection is to make it more likely you'll find someone with a similar voice as yourself so you can more readily compare the accuracy of your pronunciation. I, being male, sometimes find it hard to judge my pronunciation compared to a female speaker, especially in a tonal language.

I really strive to make my pronunciation as good as I can, and having in depth information from the level of classic "a as in father" down to IPA and description of what it should look like / feel like / etc when you pronounce the sound really helps.
1 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”