Spanish immersion while maintaining Portuguese and Italian?

General discussion about learning languages
guiguixx1
Orange Belt
Languages: French (N), English (C2), Dutch (C1), Spanish (C1), Italian (B2), Esperanto (A2), Portuguese (B2), German (A2), Catalan (passively)

Spanish immersion while maintaining Portuguese and Italian?

Postby guiguixx1 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:08 pm

Hi everyone,

I've been in Spain for 5 weeks now to work as a teacher of French, and my goal was to go from B2 to C1. I thus am working on it, going to language exchanges and reading and writing everyday. I'm only studying this language for now, and using English and French at work.

About 2 months ago, I was using most of my languages quite often and got them all to conversational level, so about B1, and was very proud of it. However, I'm losing it now. Since I'm using a lot of Spanish and only use Portuguese and Italian very occasionally, I am struggling to speak them again, although I thought improving my Spanish would improve the other Germanic languages at the same time. Can anyone suggest me something to deal with this problem? Should I just "drop" Portuguese and Italian while I'm in Spain?

Please tell me about your experience :)
0 x
Language learning and teaching website as a French teacher of Dutch and English: cameleondeslangues.be

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Professional: ES, RU
Speak well: DE, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU, FI
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), BG, EUS, ZH (CAN), and a whole lot more.
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Re: Spanish immersion while maintaining Portuguese and Italian?

Postby tarvos » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:14 pm

Leave them be. Get back to them later. Occasional usage is enough and you'll have plenty of time to improve them later on.
1 x
I hope your world is kind.

Is a girl.

Voytek
Green Belt
Languages: polski (N)
English(C2)
español(C2)
svenska (C1)
日本語 (A1)
ภาษาไทย (dabbling)

Re: Spanish immersion while maintaining Portuguese and Italian?

Postby Voytek » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:54 pm

In my opinion, ten minutes of exposure to the language every second day is enough to keep your brain open to its processing and this is very important if you speak it below an advanced level. Of course, the best thing is to practice it in conversations. It forces your brain to process it at much higher level than the passive activities (reading, listening).
0 x
Exposure to Swedish-RL-building stage: 30 / 300
Exposure to Spanish-RL-final stage: 300 / 1500

Return to “General Language Discussion”