Grammatical Cases: Why are they considered so hard?

General discussion about learning languages
Chung
Blue Belt
Languages: SPEAKS: English*, French
STUDIES: Hungarian, Italian
OTHER: Czech, German, Polish, Slovak, Ukrainian
STUDIED: Azeri, BCMS/SC, Estonian, Finnish, Korean, Latin, Northern Saami, Russian, Slovenian, Turkish
DABBLED: Bashkir, Chuvash, Crimean Tatar, Inari Saami, Kazakh, Kyrgyz, Latvian, Lithuanian, Meadow Mari, Mongolian, Romanian, Tatar, Turkmen, Tuvan, Uzbek

Re: Grammatical Cases: Why are they considered so hard?

Postby Chung » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:58 pm

s_allard wrote:
Chung wrote:...
s_allard, you'd probably find this summary about grammaticalization to be enlightening as well.

---

So far we've been focused on degree of case-marking as a sign of how analytical or synthetic a language is. What about the verbs? Is conjugation less important than case-marking or are we doing something like hand-waving and just taking the elaborateness of conjugation as a given because of the bias arising from our native and target languages? It's easy as hell for me to express in Polish, Slovak, Ukrainian or even Hungarian what some western Europeans nit-pick as subjonctif (présent, imparfait, passé, plus-que-parfait?), Konjunktiv (I oder II?), or imperfect, perfect and past perfect. That insight would never have come to light if I had never ventured outside FIGS.

I will take the unsolicited recommendations for my further studies in linguistics under advisement. In the meantime, I want to return to the question of the OP which I have tried to address in a number of ways: Grammatical cases: Why are they considered so hard?

I was not addressing the issue of evolution of analysis to synthesis or vice versa. I have no first-hand knowledge of Bulgarian, Macedonian, Old Church Slavonic, Sorbian, Estonian, Finnish, Old Hungarian, Modern Hungarian, proto-Uralic, Obdorsk Khanty, Cambodian, Munda languages, Vietnamese, Proto-Austroasiatic, Korku and any others that I may have missed. I therefore won't comment on their case systems. I must also confess that I don't have time at the present moment to investigate them. So, I don't bother reading the examples.

My area of expertise and academic publication is French. I've learned English, some Spanish and the German that I am in the process of studying. My attempt to answer the OP's question is based on my knowledge of these languages and started with a basic observation. It seems that all observers and teachers of German agree that one of the most difficult parts, if not the most difficult part, of German grammar is the grammatical gender and the noun declension system that go together. There are other difficulties, of course, such as verb conjugation forms and usage.

Interestingly, I see something similar in the learning of French. The two biggest difficulties are the grammatical gender system and the verb conjugation forms and usage. Judging by my own experience in learning the German noun declensions and in teaching French, I believe that the reason the German noun case is so difficult is twofold: 1) duplication of morphological forms for different grammatical meanings and 2) the lack of meaning other than grammatical. In other words it is a complex system that is highly redundant and carries little useful meaning.

By the way I say the same thing of the French grammatical gender system and of the French subjunctive mood.

I do not attempt to state the same of Hungarian or Lituanian cases. Maybe they are simple and carry a lot of meaning. And consequently they are not that difficult to learn. I don't know.

All of this to say that I don't think that all cases systems are alike and all are difficult to learn. But I do notice that in the languages of Western Europe that I am most familiar with - and I admit, once again, my ignorance of other linguistic universes -, there has been considerable simplification of the various case systems. In German, this is to be found in various dialects and even in some aspects of standard German, i.e. the genitive controversy.

In all this, it is striking that English has eliminated both grammatical gender and grammatical cases. I have gone so far as to say that this has made English easier to learn than languages that retain these grammatical features. This has brought upon me endless grief and opprobrium as people in this thread have pointed out that the ease of learning of a language depends on one's language of origin. For example, it is quite possible that Hungarian speakers find German much easier than English because of the case system. But that will be a debate for another day.

All that said, I am curious to hear of case systems that are considered easy to learn. In all seriousness I think such a case system could exist.

Where to begin.... A couple of things:

1) Cute trick. First you generalize that simplification (or more specifically erosion of cases) is the norm, all based on the experience of four languages native to western Europe (when there are about 6000 worldwide), three of which are typologically similar (i.e. English, French, Spanish). You then ask for examples of European languages that have not shown this trend. When up against the fact that some Uralic languages have added to their count of cases over a few millenia (cf. compare Proto-Uralic with Hungarian), you then scurry off pleading ignorance, denying that this talk about eroding cases is in reality a special case of synthesis to analysis (if you've ever bothered to learn the fundamentals of linguistics, this would have been clear as day to you). To embarrass yourself more you silently move the goalposts by restating your expertise in teaching one of your native languages as if that can mask the dubious outcomes of your train of thought based on such a small sample. The truth is that you have to look outside (western) Europe for evidence of any language getting more "complicated" (if we use the degree of explicit case-marking as a proxy for "complexity", questionable as that is). When offered a monograph summarizing research in Austroasiatic languages, you try to deflect your way out of the fix by playing dumb some more about those languages and hinting that ignorance of them still makes your conclusion about inevitable case-erosion unassailable. :lol:

2) Based on your posts so far, I'd bet my pension that there's no such language with case-marking that's universally considered easy to learn - especially for you with your linguistic hard-wiring so rigidly stuck in the ways of English, French, and Spanish. German declension has clearly been a bother for you as seen in your posts (and that's considered one of the easier languages for a native speaker of English) and we'd very likely go through the same circus if you were learning Romanian (despite its Latin base, it can still drive your fellow Francophones nuts). tarvos would probably have to set you straight in that case as I've forgotten most of my Romanian.

I have to conclude that the only way for you to find out if there is a language with lots of case-marking that's easy to learn is to stop hiding in the FIGS-bubble and spend a good while studying only languages with extensive declension. No one's going to do the work for you when you're just going to flash your Anglo-Franco-Hispanic prejudice by talking şђïť about case-marking before you begin learning another language or not long after you begin as seen with your experience with German.
8 x

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Professional: ES, RU
Speak well: DE, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU, FI
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), BG, EUS, ZH (CAN), and a whole lot more.
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Postby tarvos » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:24 pm

Romanian declension is easy, but I bet s_allard wouldn't like all the dative/genitive constructions because you could just use a preposition to express the same thing...

Gândurile unei nebunei însărcinate...
3 x
I hope your world is kind.

Is a girl.

Chung
Blue Belt
Languages: SPEAKS: English*, French
STUDIES: Hungarian, Italian
OTHER: Czech, German, Polish, Slovak, Ukrainian
STUDIED: Azeri, BCMS/SC, Estonian, Finnish, Korean, Latin, Northern Saami, Russian, Slovenian, Turkish
DABBLED: Bashkir, Chuvash, Crimean Tatar, Inari Saami, Kazakh, Kyrgyz, Latvian, Lithuanian, Meadow Mari, Mongolian, Romanian, Tatar, Turkmen, Tuvan, Uzbek

Postby Chung » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:56 pm

Josquin wrote:
s_allard wrote:All that said, I am curious to hear of case systems that are considered easy to learn. In all seriousness I think such a case system could exist.

You should try your luck with Finnish or Hungarian. Despite having numerous cases, the case systems themselves are supposed to be comparably straightforward and logical. As the Finno-Ugric languages are agglutinating rather than synthetic, the case markers consist of suffixes rather than endings and have probably evolved from postpositions (as Chung has pointed out, an example of case systems emerging from analytical structures).

The point is, each case has only one ending that may have different forms because of sound laws, but there are no declension classes with different endings as in the Indo-European languages, so there is no overlap between endings either. I'm not saying those languages are easier than Russian or Icelandic though.

Maybe Chung can offer some more information on this.

I could, but to be honest, it'd be an even longer-ass post, and with the way things have gone so far, I wouldn't be surprised if s_allard would do some articulate hand-waving and excuse himself thus leaving his FIGS-based POV intact.
2 x

s_allard
Blue Belt
Languages: French (N), English (N), Spanish (C2 Cert.), German (B2 Cert)

Postby s_allard » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:51 pm

Josquin wrote:
s_allard wrote:All that said, I am curious to hear of case systems that are considered easy to learn. In all seriousness I think such a case system could exist.

You should try your luck with Finnish or Hungarian. Despite having numerous cases, the case systems themselves are supposed to be comparably straightforward and logical. As the Finno-Ugric languages are agglutinating rather than synthetic, the case markers consist of suffixes rather than endings and have probably evolved from postpositions (as Chung has pointed out, an example of case systems emerging from analytical structures).

The point is, each case has only one ending that may have different forms because of sound laws, but there are no declension classes with different endings as in the Indo-European languages, so there is no overlap between endings either. I'm not saying those languages are easier than Russian or Icelandic though.

Maybe Chung can offer some more information on this.

Thanks for the (polite) suggestion. I think I'll actually take you up on that suggestion about Hungarian. I've put it down on my list for 2019.
Last edited by s_allard on Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
2 x

BalancingAct
Orange Belt
Languages: Mandarin, Cantonese, English (Prof.), French (Adv. - Prof.), Italian (Adv.), German (Adv. receptive), Spanish (Int. receptive)

Postby BalancingAct » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:18 am

davidc wrote:And unfortunately many teachers and textbooks do nothing to dispel this notion. They teach rules about which case to use when but do not talk about why. They do not tell the student that he should use that case because it means something and it means what he is trying to say. It may see obvious to you, but a lot of people really do not get this.

As others who have commented here have pointed out there are a lot of endings and rules to learn and that is hard, but it is ten times as hard if you think, as many students do, that the whole case system is arbitrary and meaningless.

Very true. In fact German cases are not difficult to learn (even for self-study), if you pick the right teaching material that gently and thoughtfully introduces concepts/cases. It also helps to jump onto uni-language (all German) textbooks as soon as possible.

To me it is never a good idea to experiment with using only free material online. It just slows you down in the long run and induces invisible cost. Expedient is not the synonym of efficient.

To declare logical and meaningful stuff meaningless just shows you are a beginner. To insist on your limited view based on your limited knowledge is amateurish.
Last edited by BalancingAct on Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
3 x

s_allard
Blue Belt
Languages: French (N), English (N), Spanish (C2 Cert.), German (B2 Cert)

Postby s_allard » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:39 am

I think it could be interesting to look at something that is not exactly in the realm of grammatical cases but is closely related. I'm referring of course to grammatical noun gender which interacts closely with the case system.

As has been pointed out, in the realm of Western European languages - I apologize for being so limited in scope - English has neither grammatical noun gender nor noun cases. In those two aspects, English is simpler than all the other languages of that realm.

I want to draw people's attention to something that is happening right now, in the midst of which English is a beacon of simplicity. I'm referring of course to the important trend in many (Western European) languages to make the language gender neutral in terms of women, men and transgenders. I recommend the following excellent Wikipedia article:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender_neutrality_in_languages_with_grammatical_gender
Let me quote the first paragraph:

Gender neutrality in languages with grammatical gender is the usage of language that is balanced in its treatment of the genders in a non-grammatical sense. For example, advocates of gender-neutral language challenge the traditional use of masculine nouns and pronouns (e.g. "he") when referring to two or more genders or to a person or people of an unknown gender in most Indo-European and Afro-Asiatic languages, often inspired by feminist ideas about gender equality. Gender neutrality is also used when one wishes to be inclusive of people who identify as non-binary genders or as genderless.

Here is the key sentence from the overview:

The situation of gender neutral language modification in languages that have (at least) masculine and feminine grammatical genders, such as French, German, Greek and Spanish, is very different from that of English, because it is often impossible to construct a gender-neutral sentence as can be done in English.

The article then goes on to look at attempts at gender-neutral language in Hebrew, Greek, German, Swedish, Icelandic, French, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Serbian, Russian and Welsh. (Lest I be accused of Euro-centrism, I must say that I am not responsible for that fact that languages such as Bulgarian, Macedonian, Old Church Slavonic, Sorbian, Estonian, Finnish, Old Hungarian, Modern Hungarian, proto-Uralic, Obdorsk Khanty, Cambodian, Munda languages, Vietnamese, Proto-Austroasiatic and Korku are not in this Wikipedia article.)

As the article so accurately points out, whereas there is no problem producing gender-neutral language in English, things get complicated in all the other languages cited because of the presence of grammatical gender. What we are seeing is a prime example of how social change is leading to linguistic change that is making the grammar more complicated. This is exactly what is happening in French with the écriture inclusive.

The best solution to this evolving mess is of course to do what English did centuries ago: get rid of grammatical gender all together.

So, without going so far again as to say that English is the easiest language in the world to learn and thereby incur even more wrath, I'll just say that lack of grammatical gender and noun case does simplify life for English speakers and make English even more attractive.

Edit: Replaced "declension" by "case" for clarification. See comment below by Cainntear.
Last edited by s_allard on Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
0 x

Josquin
Blue Belt
Languages: German (native); English (advanced fluency); French (basic fluency); Italian, Swedish, Russian, Irish (intermediate); Dutch, Icelandic, Japanese, Portuguese, Scottish Gaelic (beginner); Latin, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Sanskrit (reading only)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=737

Postby Josquin » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:25 am

s_allard wrote:I'll just say that lack of grammatical gender and noun declension does simplify life for English speakers and make English even more attractive.

You're really saying people are going to learn English, because it allows for gender neutral language? And I thought they did it in order to get jobs... :P

On a more serious note, English still has gendered pronouns. There are languages that don't differentiate between "he", "she", and "it". Of course, those are not among the FIGS languages... ;)
3 x
Oró, sé do bheatha abhaile! Anois ar theacht an tsamhraidh.

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby tarvos » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:06 am

Man, English without gendered pronouns? Sign me up.
1 x

Is a girl.

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Postby Cainntear » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:09 am

s_allard wrote:As has been pointed out, in the realm of Western European languages - I apologize for being so limited in scope - English has neither grammatical noun gender nor noun declensions.

Not true. English nouns decline for plural number and for possessive case. This is very much what noun declension is, and I'm surprised that a professional such as yourself can't see that.

Now, it is arguable that a vestigial case system like this is actually harder to learn -- if you don't have to choose cases on every noun, you don't think about declension. A similar thing could be said about the vestigial conjugation for person/number in the English verb system -- having only 3ps marked in regular verbs (thinks) means that learners are less accustomed to thinking about conjugation and thus make more errors with 3ps and with the irregular conjugations of "be" (which is weird in several ways).

To add to the complication, the 3ps conjugation, the plural declension and the possessive declension are all phonetically identical, but the possessive is written with an arbitrary difference, which then introduces the question of the even more arbitrary "possessive plural" declension.

And if that wasn't enough, the marker for these three conjugations is something that is actually pretty hard to pronounce. Chinese speakers find it difficult to say. Spanish speakers find it difficult to say (that's about 1.2 billion people already). Speakers of many, many other languages find it difficult to say.

In those two aspects, English is simpler than all the other languages of that realm.

But Spanish phonology is much simpler, with fewer consonant clusters and clearer vowels, and Spanish grammar is more regular and predictable. Spanish doesn't have the added complication of "phrasal verbs" with their Byzantine semantic uses of prepositions and adverbs (and the need to work out where something is a preposition or an advert).

I want to draw people's attention to something that is happening right now, in the midst of which English is a beacon of simplicity. I'm referring of course to the important trend in many (Western European) languages to make the language gender neutral in terms of women, men and transgenders.

You're really overegging the pudding here.

1) English has mandatory gendered pronouns in singular, so it is not neutral for transgender.
2) While many people use "they" as gender neutral, others don't. For me, they is "gender unknown". It's difficult to use without looking awkward. I try to write things in plural if I want to be gender neutral -- "users should", not "a user should", leading to "they" as plural.
3) Attempts at equal opportunities writing have not led to degendered writing. It is now common convention for programmers and designers to be referred to as "she". Where you're talking about the designer and the user, the user is then referred to as "he".

You're lionising a fantasy here. This ain't no "shining beacon" and it sure as hell ain't simple.

Any moves to changing how a language deals with gender -- even as lightly gendered a language as English -- will be met with huge resistance. Grammar (including grammaticalised/function words) is a fully internalised, unconcious system. Our native grammar hardly changes in our lifetimes, and we rarely make any conscious decisions of functional vocabulary.

If you tell an Italian to make everything gender-neutral by replacing -o and -a nominal endings with -u, you're going to drive them round the twist because you are forcing them to think instead of doing something automatic on ever single noun and adjective. It's a real mental burden.

Even for us English speakers, consciously replacing "he" and "she" with anything you would care to come up with forces us to make an active choice to override something which is second nature.

When people call it "thought control", they're not wrong -- overriding instinct can be a very painful process.
9 x

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby tarvos » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:03 am

1) English has mandatory gendered pronouns in singular, so it is not neutral for transgender.

Just apart from that, many trans people (see also: yours truly) fit the binary, so you would still refer to me as she. That's gendered, and I am perfectly fine with that.

2) While many people use "they" as gender neutral, others don't. For me, they is "gender unknown". It's difficult to use without looking awkward. I try to write things in plural if I want to be gender neutral -- "users should", not "a user should", leading to "they" as plural.

I do the same thing, but I've been getting more comfortable with they as non-binary.

3) Attempts at equal opportunities writing have not led to degendered writing. It is now common convention for programmers and designers to be referred to as "she". Where you're talking about the designer and the user, the user is then referred to as "he".

As long as your convention works...
2 x

Is a girl.

Return to “General Language Discussion”