Forum running costs

General discussion about learning languages

If financial support is needed for the forum...

Poll ended at Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:18 pm

I would prefer to make an occasional donation such as a one-off gift or for specific projects
64%
I would happily make a small regular donation
26%
I wouldn't/couldn't make a contribution in the foreseeable future
8%
I would not want to donate full stop
3%

Total votes: 74

Bluepaint
Brown Belt

Forum running costs

Postby Bluepaint » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:18 pm

This is strictly for getting a feel for people's opinions. This is not a request for monetary assistance at this time.

As we continue to grow we need to upgrade certain aspects of IT, we also rely very heavily on Emk's freetime and goodwill (note he is unaware I'm making this poll - surprise!) and so our general running costs are slowly increasing. Not to mention we might in future have one-off costs for bigger IT projects or issues. Realistically, we will likely need a very small income at some point which brings me to my poll.
5 x

emk
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2+)
Badly neglected "just for fun" languages: Middle Egyptian, Spanish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=723

Re: Forum running costs

Postby emk » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:42 pm

For some pretty charts of what the forum costs to run, see my thread this morning. rdearman and I have split the costs various ways in the past, and it's not a huge deal at $1/day. But if our needs grow, we can definitely look into other options.
4 x

Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N)
French (B1)
Language Log: http://tinyurl.com/zot7wrs

Postby Carmody » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:55 pm

I am of the opinion that emk and all mods are magnificent and long overdue for some financial support.

Let me know how to move money to support your great efforts.

Thanks.
7 x

wwiding
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), French (beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2151

Postby wwiding » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:19 am

Set up a paypal account or something that we could donate to. It doesn't have to be paypal, but I love this site and I'd be more than happy to help where ever I can.
Last edited by wwiding on Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
6 x

tomgosse
Brown Belt
Languages: Anglais (langue maternelle)
Français (A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1185

Postby tomgosse » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:58 am

wwiding wrote:Set up a paypal accound or something that we could donate to. It doesn't have to be paypal, but I love this site and I'd be more than happy to help where ever I can.

Me too!
3 x
Rejoignez notre groupe français ! Les Voyageurs

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:06 pm

tomgosse wrote: Me too!
Ditto!
3 x

Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Postby Ani » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:24 am

Agreed. It's not fair that two of you get to share all the costs while many of us love this forum and want to show that love through financial support ;)
I may not know how to do the technical stuff, but being American, I do know how to throw money at a problem :lol: (referencing whatiftheblog's recent log post :) )
7 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Teango
Blue Belt
Languages: en (n)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 9&p=235545

Postby Teango » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:22 am

I'd be happy to contribute financially too (this forum is like a second online home from home)! To chime in with other appreciative voices here, I think you guys along with all the other mods are doing a phenomenal job, not only in keeping our forum running smoothly in the face of some pretty big challenges and limitations, but also in developing and adding new features as you go to encourage our online community to grow dynamically and hopefully flourish over the coming months and years. I agree that upgrading to a t2.small server package may very well speed things along and help make this ongoing task a bit easier, and I look forward to making my first donation once something secure like a Paypal button is set up.
3 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:35 am

I am not responding to the poll because I am unfortunately jobless right now, so I can't guarantee anything. But I'd like to be able to make contributions some way or another. A donate button would be great, although I am liable to forget about it. If it were possible to set up a small regular payment, I would probably also like to do that (in this amazing world where I'm employed). If our regular posters were all able to contribute even a couple of dollars a month, I think that would go some way to help covering current costs.

Of course, I can't speak for everyone and am well aware that not everyone would be able to regularly offer that much, so maybe a system that allows both one off donations and regular contributions?
5 x

Bluepaint
Brown Belt

Postby Bluepaint » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:30 am

Elenia wrote:I am not responding to the poll because I am unfortunately jobless right now, so I can't guarantee anything. But I'd like to be able to make contributions some way or another. A donate button would be great, although I am liable to forget about it. If it were possible to set up a small regular payment, I would probably also like to do that (in this amazing world where I'm employed). If our regular posters were all able to contribute even a couple of dollars a month, I think that would go some way to help covering current costs.

Of course, I can't speak for everyone and am well aware that not everyone would be able to regularly offer that much, so maybe a system that allows both one off donations and regular contributions?

Yes, I agree both options should be available to suit preferences, budgets and spending styles. Glad someone thinks the same way, comment noted :D

P.S. Good luck on the job hunt!
5 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”