Forum running costs

General discussion about learning languages

If financial support is needed for the forum...

Poll ended at Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:18 pm

I would prefer to make an occasional donation such as a one-off gift or for specific projects
64%
I would happily make a small regular donation
26%
I wouldn't/couldn't make a contribution in the foreseeable future
8%
I would not want to donate full stop
3%

Total votes: 74

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Re: Forum running costs

Postby Brun Ugle » Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:14 pm

I'm glad that all features will be open to everyone. I like that everyone can stand on equal footing as a member whether they can afford to pay or not. I think it is especially important on a site dedicated to language learning that we be as accessible as possible to people from everywhere. And it's important to remember that $5 isn't the same thing for everyone. There is a great difference from country to country what that will buy.

Anyway, if all you need is $40-$45 per month, that's only 8-9 monthly contributors at $5 each, so that should be easy enough to achieve. I think we've had that many volunteers already.
8 x

Bluepaint
Brown Belt

Postby Bluepaint » Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:57 pm

In my mind there has never been any question of differentiating between those who donate and those who don't. Donation is done as a form of goodwill, not to obtain perks or favouritism. Otherwise you'd become paying customers or bribers (incidentally what is the word for a person who pays a bribe??)

HTLAL took subscriptions I think as a mixture of sustenance and profit. It was still very much FX's site and he wanted that as a business model.

Llorg is a community that simply needs to sustain itself and recognises that money is just one of the ways in which we need support. Accordingly, we don't & will not view a donating member as any more valuable than another member.
9 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:19 pm

This is making me a bit tearful. I love this community!
8 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:48 pm

Rhian wrote:HTLAL took subscriptions I think as a mixture of sustenance and profit. It was still very much FX's site and he wanted that as a business model.
I also wonder if it has to do with how the internet has changed. For example back then it was a given that any business that wants to attract/support its customers over the Internet needs its own homepage. Nowadays smaller companies just use social media.
Besides, FX put a lot of effort into customizing the forum for language learners (profiles, skills, wishlist, tandem search, tags, logs automatically listed in the profile). Ultimately it all didn't turn out to be worth it, due to the trouble with upgrading, but we know that now because FX has tried that before. I think that being somewhat geeky he underestimated just how many people simply want to write a post and get replies (and how instead of being grateful for what's there people would be frustrated that their language isn't on the list).
1 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:53 am

Rhian wrote:(incidentally what is the word for a person who pays a bribe??).

bribee, maybe?
1 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

Ogrim
Brown Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N) English (C2), French (C2), Spanish (C2), German (B2), Romansh (B2), Italian (B2), Catalan (B2), Russian (B1), Latin (B2), Dutch (B1), Croatian (A2), Arabic (on hold), Ancient Greek (learning), Romanian (on hold)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?t=873

Postby Ogrim » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:47 am

I voted for occasional donations, but if it is easier to handle small regular donations of a few euros/dollars every month then I am happy to contribute in that way as well. And I ad my songs of praise to emk, rdearman and the moderator team for all the splendid work they are doing to the benefit of all of us. I now understand how much work takes place "behind the scene" to make a forum like this work smoothly.

I also totally agree that there should not be first- and second-rate memberships, and I highly appreciate that you manage to keep it ads-free. :)
3 x
Ich grolle nicht

Bluepaint
Brown Belt

Postby Bluepaint » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:08 am

IronMike wrote:

bribee, maybe?

That crossed my mind! Quick, where's a non-native speaker, they often know stuff us natives don't!
1 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:32 am

Rhian wrote:
IronMike wrote:

bribee, maybe?

That crossed my mind! Quick, where's a non-native speaker, they often know stuff us natives don't!

Surely the bribee is the person receiving the bribe, just as the employee receives employment and the tutee receives tutoring...

A quick wikipedia lookup reveals that bribery can be any of offering, giving, soliciting or receiving a bribe. So, um. Yeah. Non-native speakers? Any insights?
2 x

Bluepaint
Brown Belt

Postby Bluepaint » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:11 am

Elenia wrote:
Rhian wrote:
IronMike wrote:

bribee, maybe?

Surely the bribee is the person receiving the bribe, just as the employee receives employment and the tutee receives tutoring...

A quick wikipedia lookup reveals that bribery can be any of offering, giving, soliciting or receiving a bribe. So, um. Yeah. Non-native speakers? Any insights?

What an English fail on my part. Can I blame only getting to sleep at 8am? Please? :?

I'm going to create a new thread as I'm derailing this one aplenty!

Edit: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =17&t=7134
0 x

emk
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2+)
Badly neglected "just for fun" languages: Middle Egyptian, Spanish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=723

Postby emk » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:22 pm

Rhian wrote:Llorg is a community that simply needs to sustain itself and recognises that money is just one of the ways in which we need support. Accordingly, we don't & will not view a donating member as any more valuable than another member.

This is a really important point: We all support this forum in many different ways. We answer questions, write blog posts and language profiles (hint, hint :lol:), and provide a sense of community. And community is really important—many of us live in places where most language learners give up and fail very quickly. And so it's incredibly helpful to be able to surround ourselves with people who take it for granted that success is perfectly normal, provided we put in the effort.

I have the temporary, short-term donation system almost ready to go, with the goal of raising US$20 to $40 a month—no more than we need to meet costs. And anything we don't raise, I'm perfectly happy to support out of pocket. But symbolically, I think it's really good to share the costs.

The reason I'm saying "a temporary, short-term donation system" is that for the moment, I'm going to handle the cash. And I've requested to not handle any more money than we actually need for monthly expenses—and we'll do it in a way that allows everybody to see what being collected each month, and what's being spent. In the longer run, we hope to set up a real legal entity, but that's going to require both time and money. Once that's done, we'll transfer everything over there. But until we do that, the rule is "no more money than we need to meet monthly expenses."

Elenia wrote:Surely the bribee is the person receiving the bribe, just as the employee receives employment and the tutee receives tutoring...

Can I just say I love this place? ;-)
9 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”