Reviewing assimil's active wave

General discussion about learning languages
Razdey
Languages: English (N), French (beginner)

Reviewing assimil's active wave

Postby Razdey » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:54 am

Hello, sometimes when I am going back to a previous lesson to review on assimil (let's say 1-2 weeks back), I make mistakes here and there. I sometimes forget the words, wrong conjungation, etc.

Do I have to get every sentence correct everytime, or is something passable okay (let's say about 80-90% correct) to reap the benefits of assimil?

Thanks.
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Re: Reviewing assimil's active wave

Postby rdearman » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:49 pm

It is probably up to you, but I think with 90% correct you're doing OK. Besides you can also go back if you need to.
0 x
: 26 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Razdey

Postby Razdey » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:03 pm

Thanks for the feedback. Just got to keep pushing forward.
0 x

DaveBee
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native). French (studying).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7466

Postby DaveBee » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:52 pm

Razdey wrote:Hello, sometimes when I am going back to a previous lesson to review on assimil (let's say 1-2 weeks back), I make mistakes here and there. I sometimes forget the words, wrong conjungation, etc.

Do I have to get every sentence correct everytime, or is something passable okay (let's say about 80-90% correct) to reap the benefits of assimil?

Thanks.
I didn't worry about being correct in the 2nd wave. If I blanked on the specific vocabulary used, I just phrased the message with the words I knew.

I think the key thing is to do this every day. You get better over time. (Having said that, I've done next to zero L2 production since finishing Assimil!!! I need new habits.)
0 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:23 am

To me, trying to review the same material until I get it perfect seems like a waste of time and effort. It takes a lot of effort for little gain. Usually if I get it mostly right, I look over what I got wrong and move forward. The bits I got wrong eventually fall into place anyway, and do so much more easily than if I'd gone over them again and again.
6 x

Razdey

Postby Razdey » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:31 am

Thanks for the input. First time learning a language here, so just a bit confused haha.
0 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:55 am

For me, it depends on the error.
Things like forgetting a word, gender errors, minor pronunciation errors, structure or order errors (except in German where order is everything.) - I don't worry about and move on.

If I'm getting major grammatical errors like tense or verb endings consistently wrong or forgetting pronouns then I'll do a set of drills on the issue.

I'll do the wave two dialogues a few times and then move on.
1 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

Razdey

Postby Razdey » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:26 pm

Thanks. Yeah I realized some of the words in assimil is not used that frequently in our everyday lives.
And you're right. It depends on the error.
0 x

David1917
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Professional Level: Russian, Spanish

Postby David1917 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:13 am

This is one of the reasons I don't really like Assimil as a first resource - I prefer to use it after I have a good grounding in the language, so as to get a lot of basically random but graded input. By the time I do the active wave, I would give myself a pass if I use a different word order/structure, so long as I can say for sure it is itself correct. Or, I can easily correct an error moving forward (e.g. direct/indirect article placement in French). If there's a random word that hasn't been repeated enough in the course for me to remember it, it goes in Anki. Then the book is done for me. I suppose someday I could go back and just listen through the dialogues in the background and see how much better I comprehend them, but so far I haven't done that with any of the langs I've used Assimil with.
3 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”