The new Glossika

General discussion about learning languages
Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

The new Glossika

Postby Ani » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:22 pm

I got an email this morning inviting me to try the new Glossika beta release. I'm sure many of you did also. So far there are 20 languages available, all from an English base at this point. For now, there is no offline access but that is apparently coming.

What are your initial impressions?

Here are mine:
-- Runs super smoothly from a smartphone. Doesn't seem to demand much in data (my wifi is painfully slow).
-- Seems to be tons of options easily accessible, change rate of playback for base language, target language, spacing pause between. Option to record your voice, option to send yourself email reminders with the ability to choose which days of the week. Everything is really clean
-- Sound runs in the background so you can ignore the screen if you'd like and do the reps by audio as before.
-- After each session you can rate the sentences Easy/Normal/Hard either individually or as a set.

in about 30 minutes of playing with it, I didn't find much negative. Some of the weird sentences still exist like "He has a computer -- Il en a un", but I think with this platform they should be able to improve those things. There will also apparently be options for choosing gender of the speaker.

I also can't figure out how to have the system reassess your level after initially setting it. In looking through the French, I picked "hard" on the first sentence that used a construction that I don't have in my active vocabulary (afin que), and got placed in the A2 level with super boring sentences. I'd like to do the intake assessment again but the way to do that, if even possible, is not obvious.

I look forward to hearing what you all think!
7 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Speakeasy

Re: The new Glossika

Postby Speakeasy » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:12 pm

For those of you who are interested, there is an earlier discussion thread of this developing saga ...

Glossika Product Updates
https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=6538
3 x

Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Postby Ani » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:08 pm

Oh I hadn't seen the other thread. I guess we can continue the conversation over there!
0 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:41 pm

Hi Ani! I greatly appreciated your comments on the "new" Glossika. For the purposes of continuity and so that others might benefit from it, I have copied/pasted the text into the "Glossika Product Updates" discussion thread. I see that you're already "over there." Cheers!
1 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”