German language change trend

General discussion about learning languages
Speakeasy

Re: German language change trend

Postby Speakeasy » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:58 pm

aokoye wrote: ... I think that calling change bad can easily be classed as elitist ...
I sincerely do not wish to back you into a corner. Nevertheless, I presume that you have sufficient life-experience to have observed, and perhaps even been the victim of, changes that were inherently bad but that could not, in any manner, be characterised as elitist. Please, step forward a few paces from the corner, I'll meet you in the middle. By way, once again, at what point did I characterize change as bad? Please feel free to use the quotation function in support of such an assertion if that is, indeed, what you meant. Finally, would not agree that changes should be evaluated against a number of criteria or is all change necessarily good?
2 x

aokoye
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), German (~C1), French (Intermediate), Japanese (N4), Swedish (beginner), Dutch (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19262

Re: German language change trend

Postby aokoye » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:07 pm

Speakeasy wrote:
aokoye wrote: ... I think that calling change bad can easily be classed as elitist ...
I sincerely do not wish to back you into a corner. Nevertheless, I presume that you have sufficient life-experience to have observed, and perhaps even been the victim of, changes that were inherently bad but that could not, in any manner, be characterised as elitist. Please, step forward a few paces from the corner, I'll meet you in the middle. By way, once again, at what point did I characterize change as bad? Please feel free to use the quotation function in support of such an assertion if that is, indeed, what you meant. Finally, would not agree that changes should be evaluated against a number of criteria or is all change necessarily good?

You didn't say anything was bad that's what I've been saying. It's the subtitle to the article that did and that's been the primary aim of my critique, not you personally. Like I said earlier I think we are agreeing more than you may think we are (well ok I think that now you get that we're agreeing more).
0 x
Prefered gender pronouns: Masculine

Return to “General Language Discussion”