Any recomendations for short (100-200 pg) Russian books?

General discussion about learning languages
sillygoose1
Green Belt
Languages: _
NA: English
C2: French
C1: German, Italian, Spanish
B2: Russian, Portuguese
A2: Japanese
A1: Mandarin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=751

Any recomendations for short (100-200 pg) Russian books?

Postby sillygoose1 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:35 pm

Preferably a series of something in the whodunnit detective category but anything will do really. Even short stories would be good. Goosebumps is too easy for me and Boris Akunin is a little too difficult so something in the middle would be great.
1 x

stelingo
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1), Spanish (C1), Portuguese (C1), Italian (B2), German (High B1), Russian (B1), Czech (B1), Dutch (passive B1), Catalan (passive B1), Mandarin (A2), Polish (A2), Japanese (A2), Modern Standard Arabic (A1), Egyptian Arabic (A1), Turkish (Beginner) Thai (beginner). Korean (Beginner) Dabbled in Swedish, Norwegian, Slovak, Ukrainian, Romanian, Vietnamese

Re: Any recomendations for short (100-200 pg) Russian books?

Postby stelingo » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:13 pm

Try novels by Chingiz Abdullayev. He writes detective/spy type novels. I've read a couple featuring a character called agent Drongo, such as 'Randevu s Valtasarom' They aren't too difficult and have lots of dialogue.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chingiz_Abdullayev#Drongo

Andrey Kurkov is another author I've read. Detective/mystery, fairly easy language with plenty of dialogue.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrey_Kurkov

I definitely recommend his novel

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_and_the_Penguin

(In fact I'm rather upset as my copy of it seems to have gone missing. :( )

Finally, I noticed the other day that there is a new Penguin Russian reader, which I may well buy.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Short-Stories-Russian-Penguin-Parallel/dp/014311834X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1504206734&sr=8-1&keywords=penguin+russian+reader
8 x
Kolik jazyků znáš, tolikrát jsi člověkem.

sillygoose1
Green Belt
Languages: _
NA: English
C2: French
C1: German, Italian, Spanish
B2: Russian, Portuguese
A2: Japanese
A1: Mandarin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=751

Postby sillygoose1 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:21 pm

Those look great thanks. Death of a Penguin has definitely been added!
0 x

Teango
Blue Belt
Languages: en (n)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 9&p=235545

Postby Teango » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:36 pm

Here are some funny short detective stories in Russian that could help you get started (audio files are also available for this series):

Last edited by Teango on Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
4 x

aaleks
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N)

Postby aaleks » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:45 pm

stelingo wrote:Try novels by Chingiz Abdullayev. He writes detective/spy type novels. I've read a couple featuring a character called agent Drongo, such as 'Randevu s Valtasarom' They aren't too difficult and have lots of dialogue.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chingiz_Abdullayev#Drongo

Just in case, there's a series based on the books. I can't say if it's good or not, I don't remember, I watched the series years ago (it's made in 2002). But it looks like the series is on youtube ( https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... 0%B8%D0%B8 )
2 x

stelingo
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1), Spanish (C1), Portuguese (C1), Italian (B2), German (High B1), Russian (B1), Czech (B1), Dutch (passive B1), Catalan (passive B1), Mandarin (A2), Polish (A2), Japanese (A2), Modern Standard Arabic (A1), Egyptian Arabic (A1), Turkish (Beginner) Thai (beginner). Korean (Beginner) Dabbled in Swedish, Norwegian, Slovak, Ukrainian, Romanian, Vietnamese

Postby stelingo » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:20 am

Круто, спасибо
1 x
Kolik jazyků znáš, tolikrát jsi člověkem.

aabram
Orange Belt
Languages: Active: Estonian (N), English, Russian, Finnish
Passive: French, Spanish
In-between: Mandarin
Hit list: Lithuanian

Postby aabram » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:39 am

If you're into sci-fi and supernatural and stuff then you're immensly in luck, there are literally hundreds of authors and many, many collections to choose from. Here is one that sort of list. I have several of from the series, this one

Image and Image

and others but there are boatloads of other similar collections. Short stories from various authors loosely tied together by either theme or year. It could be a bit of hassle to get them, but Ozon.ru has some of them in stock apparently ships abroad as well.
4 x

mcthulhu
Orange Belt
Languages: English (native); strong reading skills - Russian, Spanish, French, Italian, German, Serbo-Croatian, Macedonian, Bulgarian, Slovene, Farsi; fair reading skills - Polish, Czech, Dutch, Esperanto, Portuguese; beginner/rusty - Swedish, Norwegian, Danish

Postby mcthulhu » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:23 am

You'd asked about whodunnits. Darya Dontsova has a whole lot of murder mysteries in several series with various protagonists, often housewives who get into trouble while bumbling around as amateur detectives. There's quite a bit of humor involved (I've laughed out loud several times), and the plots can be preposterous, but that's fine with me. She has a chatty, conversational style, and there's a lot of dialogue. It looks like Amazon has many of her books. Sample title in English - The Blue Pug of Happiness. (A pug did actually get dyed blue in that one, I think.) These are definitely lighter than Akunin, though longer than the page count you'd asked for. They are relatively short novels, anyway.

The cover art is entertaining on its own - the covers all have colorful collages of people and objects from the books, and are kind of surreal until you've read the book and figured out what they were about.
3 x

Keys
Yellow Belt
Languages: Dutch (N), English (C2), German (C1), French (B2), Swedish (B2), Spanish (B2), Italian (B2), Russian (B2), Hungarian (B1), Polish (B1), Urdu (A2); reading literature and listening to audiobooks in Danish, Dutch, English, French, German, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Swedish and Spanish. Studying Urdu, Polish atm.

Postby Keys » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:13 am

I read Chekhov and a lot of other authors for free on Gutenberg. There's a lot of sites where you can read Russian folktales or Russian literature in parallel with English as well.

For contemporary Russian, I like Russendisko, from Vladimir Kaminer, about Russian and other immigrants in Berlin. Although he's Russian and he originally wrote it in German, it's been rewritten in Russian.

I see it on Amazon.com, but ridiculously expensive: https://www.amazon.com/Russendisko/dp/5867932036/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1504316846&sr=1-4&keywords=russendisko

I think I bought it in St Petersburg for next to nothing.

Here's some old fashioned but easier to read 'cuz interlinear -if that's your thing- Russian from Chekhov and Gogol from our HypLern project:
HypLern - Learn Russian with Fairytales, plus mp3s (or here for Look Inside and paperback version)
HypLern - Learn Russian with Short Stories, plus mp3s (or here for Look Inside and paperback version)
HypLern - Learn Russian with Gogol's Nos (or here for Look Inside and paperback version)

Free to download for anyone who's interested :)
Last edited by Keys on Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
4 x

Arnaud
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: French
Intermediate: English, Russian, Italian
Tourist : Breton, Greek, Chinese, Japanese, German, Spanish, Latin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=1524

Postby Arnaud » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:30 am

Sci-fi novels by Alexander Belyaev are good and not too difficult: Голова профессора Доуэля, Человек-амфибия are his most famous works and you can also consider other well known novels as Ариэль, Продавец воздуха, Остров погибших кораблей, etc.
2 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”