More useful for learning German pronunciation - Duden or IPA?

General discussion about learning languages

Duden or IPA?

IPA
54%
Duden
46%

Total votes: 13

daegga
Blue Belt
Languages: Bavarian (spoken), German
-- ≥ C1 passive --
English (IELTS 8.5)
Scandinavian (a: N>D>S)
-- along the way --
French, Italian
-- can read with dict --
Old Norse
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17055

Re: More useful for learning German pronunciation - Duden or IPA?

Postby daegga » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:44 pm

IPA needs to be in narrow transcription to be useful, too broad (= almost phonologic) transcriptions aren't much better than just plain text. Duden-Aussprachewörterbuch would be a bad example for German. Deutsches Aussprachewörterbuch (Krech et al) is somewhat better.
0 x
jag nöjer mig med tystnad

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:53 pm

tarvos wrote:I kind of agree and kind of disagree...
I respect your opinion. Still, that's what accounts for Horse Races: differences of opinion, that is.

EDITED:
Tinkering with the text.
Last edited by Speakeasy on Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Professional: ES, RU
Speak well: DE, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU, FI
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), BG, EUS, ZH (CAN), and a whole lot more.
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Postby tarvos » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:17 pm

jeff_lindqvist wrote:I'm with Speakeasy. IPA would be fine as a mere description, how German can be pronounced (and not necessarily how it should be). It's a bit like a transcription of a piece where the musician has taken a lot of liberties with the melody, rhythm, intonation and what not. No beginner can learn from that. If the learner knows the basics, Duden is enough.

There's also the fact that German pronunciation can vary dramatically from region to region (and that's not counting dialect).
2 x
I hope your world is kind.

Is a girl.

AML
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)

Postby AML » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:00 pm

tarvos wrote:There's also the fact that German pronunciation can vary dramatically from region to region (and that's not counting dialect).

True, but I don't think we should get too hung up on that. The goal is to guide the leaner toward a correct, fairly "neutral", non-embarrassing pronunciation/accent. For example, if I were making a guide for English pronunciation, I would create it for General American English pronunciation. Maybe not a single person speaks exactly like that (though I guess I'm quite close), but it's certainly a good pronunciation for an English leaner to aim for. The learner can pick up other accents/dialects on their own if they are so inclined.

With regards to my original post, perhaps the question should be rephrased to ask: Between Duden and IPA, which do you think will best guide a German leaner towards having an acceptable accent?
1 x

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:03 pm

AML wrote: ... perhaps the question should be rephrased to ask: Between Duden and IPA, which do you think will best guide a German leaner towards having an acceptable accent?
Answer: audio recordings of native speakers, accompanied by transcripts and other appropriate support. I'm being quite serious here.

It seems to me that, from an academic perspective, linguists want IPA to be relevant. The fact is, it simply isn't, at least not in the context of the current discussion. Not only do English-language publishers of self-instruction German language courses not use IPA, but even the large German-language publishers of materials destined for the classroom not use it. They simply provide the German language in its written form (most often in German only; that is, devoid of instructions in any language other than German) and supplement it with appropriate audio recordings.

Yes, it would be "nice" if IPA were relevant in the "real world", but it simply isn't!
0 x

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Professional: ES, RU
Speak well: DE, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU, FI
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), BG, EUS, ZH (CAN), and a whole lot more.
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Postby tarvos » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:43 pm

AML wrote:
tarvos wrote:There's also the fact that German pronunciation can vary dramatically from region to region (and that's not counting dialect).

True, but I don't think we should get too hung up on that. The goal is to guide the leaner toward a correct, fairly "neutral", non-embarrassing pronunciation/accent. For example, if I were making a guide for English pronunciation, I would create it for General American English pronunciation. Maybe not a single person speaks exactly like that (though I guess I'm quite close), but it's certainly a good pronunciation for an English leaner to aim for. The learner can pick up other accents/dialects on their own if they are so inclined.

With regards to my original post, perhaps the question should be rephrased to ask: Between Duden and IPA, which do you think will best guide a German leaner towards having an acceptable accent?

The problem is that no one speaks like a textbook and I'd like to bet my bottom dollar that most Germans you meet will have at least some traits that makes their speech non-standard.
0 x
I hope your world is kind.

Is a girl.

Josquin
Blue Belt
Languages: German (native); English (advanced fluency); French (basic fluency); Italian, Swedish, Russian, Irish (intermediate); Dutch, Icelandic, Japanese, Portuguese, Scottish Gaelic (beginner); Latin, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Sanskrit (reading only)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=737

Postby Josquin » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:59 pm

I wouldn't overestimate the role of dialects or regionalisms for German. It's true no German speaks like a textbook, but there's a pretty clear notion of what's Hochdeutsch and what's dialect. In most of Northern Germany, young and educated people will speak a variety of German that comes pretty close to what's Hochdeutsch supposed to be. The same goes for speech on the media.

In Southern Germany, Austria, and Switzerland, things may be different, but I'd advise no learner to learn regional German unless they intend to live in that region for a longer time. Regionalisms (especially from other regions than your own) are pretty much frowned upon by educated speakers of Hochdeutsch. I moved from Nordrhein-Westfalen to Baden-Württemberg more than ten years ago and I still speak no word of Swabian, although I learned to understand it quite well. I'd never give up my Hochdeutsch only to sound more authentic. The opposite would be true. I'd sound ridiculous.

In my opinion, IPA is a useful tool to learn the pronunciation of a language. I had to learn IPA in school when I started learning English. Without it, I would have been lost and would never have known the correct pronunciation of countless words. Only last week, I had an argument with a friend about how to pronunce "catholic". I insisted it was pronounced ['kæθlɪk] while he thought it was pronounced [kə'θɒlɪk]. A look into the Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary (OALD) solved the problem - in my favour, of course.

And I disagree that the transcription needs to be narrow. If you have an idea of how a language sounds, a broad transcription in IPA is more than sufficient to give you a correct idea of how something is supposed to be pronounced. On the other hand, German orthography is so regular you'll hardly need the IPA once you know how to pronounce the different sounds.
2 x
Oró, sé do bheatha abhaile! Anois ar theacht an tsamhraidh.

Return to “General Language Discussion”