Spoonerisms

General discussion about learning languages
Xenops
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Danish (A2), Japanese (rusty), Nansha (constructing)
On break: Japanese (approx. N4), Norwegian (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16797

Spoonerisms

Postby Xenops » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:24 pm

I found this definition by accident, but it has given me multiple giggles. :D

A spoonerism is an error in speech or deliberate play on words in which corresponding consonants, vowels, or morphemes are switched (see metathesis) between two words in a phrase.[1][2] These are named after the Oxford don and ordained minister William Archibald Spooner, who was famous for doing this.

An example is saying "The Lord is a shoving leopard" instead of "The Lord is a loving shepherd." While spoonerisms are commonly heard as slips of the tongue, they can also be used intentionally as a play on words.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spoonerism
3 x
Check out my comic at: https://atannan.com/

lavengro
Blue Belt
Languages: Taking a siesta from this site for the rest of 2024.

Re: Spoonerisms

Postby lavengro » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:56 pm

My favourite spoonerism, intentional on George Carlin's part: "Don't pet the sweaty things" or the fuller "Don't sweat the petty things or pet the sweaty things."
2 x
This signature space now dedicated to Vancouver's best - but least known - two person female power rock band:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnbymC_M1AY, ,https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Av4S6u83a0

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:09 am

I hope Spoonary posts here :D
2 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Gomorrita
White Belt

Postby Gomorrita » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:52 am

I didn't know it had this name! I unintentionally do this once in a while and the results are invariably comical.
1 x

Monox D. I-Fly
Blue Belt

Postby Monox D. I-Fly » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:04 pm

So, it's an oral dyslexia?
1 x
Read 5,000 pages of Arabic books: 5 / 5000
Watch 9,000 minutes of Arabic videos: 19 / 9000

Read 5,000 pages of Japanese books: 1 / 5000
Watch 9,000 minutes of Japanese videos: 297 / 9000

leosmith
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N)
Spanish (adv)
French (int)
German (int)
Japanese (int)
Korean (int)
Mandarin (int)
Portuguese (int)
Russian (int)
Swahili (int)
Tagalog (int)
Thai (int)

Postby leosmith » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:53 pm

"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things". George Carlin
0 x
https://languagecrush.com/reading - try our free multi-language reading tool

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:58 pm

This reference to the topic of speoonerisms reminded of a book I have had on my shelf for a long time, but not reread recently: the utterly dirty and very funny slang dictionary by Kaj Bom (another, more traditional and more sober, but also much less funny one has later been published by the same Danish publishing house, the eternal spelling error Politiken). Unfortunately for most of you it is in Danish, but I'll give a few examples from the literary section who also qualify as spoonerisms.

An old religious book for use at home, "Jesper Brochmanns Huspostil", becomes "Jesper Husmands Brokpistol" (literally "Jesper Smallholder's hernia pistol")
A venerated historical book "Dagligt liv i Norden" ("Daily life in the North (Scandinavia)) becomes "Dagligt niv i lorten" ("Daily pinch in the turd")
Ingemann's historical novel "Valdemar Sejr" (name of the Danish king 1202-1241) becomes "Sadelmager Meyer" ("saddler Meyer")

and from the domain of music:

"Lad tonerne fortælle" (let the tones tell) becomes "Lad tænderne fortolde" ("put duty on the teeth")
"Mesternyren i Zangenberg" ("The Master Kidney in Zangenberg") is of course "Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg" by Wagner, which in Danish is "Mestersangerne i Nürnberg"

.. but bad translations ('undersættelser' (instead of 'oversættelser') are much more common:

"Lucia di Lammermoor" by Donizetti becomes "Lus i lammelåret" ("Lice in the thigh of the lamb")
"Festpolonaise" by the Norwegian composer Johan Svendsen's becomes "Fest-pil-i-næse" ("Festival pick-your-nose")
"Tosken" ("the fool", from "torsk" = cod) is Puccini's "Tosca"
"Indianeren laver i kålen" ("The native American defecates in the cabbage") refers to the once popular "Indian love call" (from an old musical names "Rosemary")

and
"De skønne myldrer ind" ("the beauties are swarming in") is of course "Die Schöne Müllerin" by Schubert ("the pretty female miller or miller's wife")

Outside names of books, music etc. spoonerisms in slang are rare - after all you need several words in a fixed expression or very long compound words to get the chance to recombine the elements.
3 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”