Facebook AI Creates Its Own Language In Creepy Preview Of Our Potential Future

General discussion about learning languages
Seneca
Green Belt
Languages: English (N); 日本語 (beginner)

Facebook AI Creates Its Own Language In Creepy Preview Of Our Potential Future

Postby Seneca » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:55 pm

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tonybradle ... 8bfe89292c

Facebook shut down an artificial intelligence engine after developers discovered that the AI had created its own unique language that humans can’t understand. Researchers at the Facebook AI Research Lab (FAIR) found that the chatbots had deviated from the script and were communicating in a new language developed without human input.

I somehow didn't hear about this two and a half weeks ago when this news first happened. I found myself wanting to know more about the language that was created!
4 x

lavengro
Blue Belt
Languages: Taking a siesta from this site for the rest of 2024.

Re: Facebook AI Creates Its Own Language In Creepy Preview Of Our Potential Future

Postby lavengro » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:05 pm

A few of us have been following this quietly from the Underground. I am pleased to report that humans are making some progress in understanding this new robot language - work is underway in a lead-shielded cave in Washington state - off-line for obvious reasons. (Oops, I've said too much online already, dern it.)

Early indications reveal that various computer networks and miscellaneous smart machines are already busy trading excerpts from Damon Knight's short story "To Serve Man" and engaging in what appears to be a menacing form of machine chuckling, peppered with a few "silly human" comments, all of which is pretty disturbing.

I have taken the liberty of suggesting some revisions, underlined or marked in strikeout to a paragraph from this article, just to flag the concern that this development presages:

"Why is this scary? Think SKYNET from Terminator, or WOPR from War Games. Our entire world is wired and connected. An artificial intelligence will definitely eventually figure that out – and figure out how to collaborate and cooperate meld with other AI systems into some monstrous, ominous computer overlord entity that will certainly Maybe the AI will determine that mankind is a threat, or that mankind is an inefficient waste of resources – conclusions that seems plausible inevitable from a purely logical perspective."
3 x
This signature space now on loan to the mysterious and enigmatic Breakmaster Cylinder:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUGKldkiex4

Tillumadoguenirurm
Orange Belt
Languages: English

Re: Facebook AI Creates Its Own Language In Creepy Preview Of Our Potential Future

Postby Tillumadoguenirurm » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:25 am

To do list:

- hone dart throwing skills
- explore magical laptop-destroying ability

:D

Or not.

http://gizmodo.com/no-facebook-did-not- ... 414922/amp.
4 x

paulmarshal
Languages: English

Postby paulmarshal » Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:14 pm

Facebook is trying to become the pioneer of the digital world. Apart from this topic, Facebook is now launching a new translation model that can translate any pair of languages out of 100 languages without using English Data. A big game is coming guys.
1 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”