Any other books etc similar to assimil?

General discussion about learning languages
reddragon
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (A1), French (A1), Japanese (beginner)

Any other books etc similar to assimil?

Postby reddragon » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:51 pm

I am sure I have read on here somewhere there is another series of books similar to assimil - can anyone remember what they are as quite enjoying learning using this method
1 x

tastyonions
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: EN (N), FR, ES, DE, IT, PT, NL, EL

Re: Any other books etc similar to assimil?

Postby tastyonions » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:26 pm

"Méthode 90" (available only in French, I think) is pretty similar.
2 x

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:22 pm

First, I believe that this question has been asked before; unfortunately, I cannot locate the discussion thread.

Second, as an alternative to searching for language methods "similar" to Assimil, you might wish to consider purchasing the "previous generations" of Assimil. There may exist up to three separate, and completely different, versions of these courses for the more common languages: French, German, Spanish, English, Italian, et cetera. In many cases, the course books are still available at very low prices, whereas the audio recordings (vinyl records, cassettes, CDs, mp3 files) can be located on the internet. The only disadvantage of using the previous generations is that a very small portion of the vocabulary might no longer be current. Nevertheless, for those who appreciate the Assimil Method, this represents at most a minor inconvenience.

Third, very recently, I discovered the Eurovox series of self-study language courses (I will be opening a separate discussion thread on this series). The method follows, for all practical purposes, exactly the Assimil approach, but with much better student notes. Regrettably, the company ceased operations a few years ago; however, used copies of their courses can still be found on the Internet. While it would appear that the courses were published mostly from a Spanish basis, a particularly keen independent learner could approach them as equivalent-to-native materials. Prices are quite low for used copies. However, while cassette and CD versions exist, most copies include 7" x 33-1/3 rpm vinyl records. Here is an EXAMPLE offer: https://www.todocoleccion.net/libros-segunda-mano-cursos-idiomas/el-ingles-ingleses-eurovox-1961~x20954337

Fourth, as to the Méthode 90 series, I would say that the "similarities" are not strong enough to say that they follow the Assimil method closely. Still, some of these courses are quite interesting. Nevertheless, I would most definitely steer clear of their Italian course.

EDITED:
Inclusion of a link to an offer of a Eurovox course.
Typos, of course.
Last edited by Speakeasy on Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4 x

emk
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2+)
Badly neglected "just for fun" languages: Middle Egyptian, Spanish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=723

Postby emk » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:39 pm

If you have the unusual luck to (1) have good computer skills, and (2) have access to an interesting TV series with accurate bilingual subtitles, I've found that Subs2SRS (and other similar programs, including my own substudy) actually do a fairly reasonable job of providing parallel L1 text, L2 text and L2 audio in a fashion that's reasonably similar to Assimil's passive wave. This can be combined with a cheap "Essential Grammar" book from Dover or something similar to provide the kind of grammar knowledge that Assimil offers. Particularly for somebody who's already done an Assimil course for another language already, it's not to painful to assemble your own.

Of course, pretty much any language where you can find an easy TV series with accurate bilingual subtitles is also going to have an Assimil course, so this is less useful than it sounds. :-/

I've also heard that there are some older Linguaphone courses for languages like Icelandic that are somewhat similar to Assimil, but I've never seen one personally.
5 x

reddragon
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (A1), French (A1), Japanese (beginner)

Postby reddragon » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:43 pm

So just to confirm the older assimil courses have completely different text ? If so I will have a look for them
1 x

Xenops
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Danish (A2), Japanese (rusty), Nansha (constructing)
On break: Japanese (approx. N4), Norwegian (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16797

Postby Xenops » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:06 pm

reddragon wrote:So just to confirm the older assimil courses have completely different text ? If so I will have a look for them

This is true; sometimes you can find them on the Internet. ;)
1 x
Check out my comic at: https://atannan.com/

emk
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2+)
Badly neglected "just for fun" languages: Middle Egyptian, Spanish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=723

Postby emk » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:08 pm

reddragon wrote:So just to confirm the older assimil courses have completely different text ? If so I will have a look for them

The ones I've seen are very different from edition to edition. The newer the course, the easier the first 15 lessons tend to be. But even the newest courses have a tendency to ramp up the difficulty very aggressively between lesson 15 and 65.

Just a word of caution, for anybody else reading this who's thinking about doing multiple generations of the same Assimil course. If you've already finished one Assimil course, I think that it's best not to keep going back and doing beginner-level courses over and over again. No amount of "zero to A2" courses are likely to ever get you to B2. We've seen a lot of people try over the years, and they tend to be the people who get endlessly stuck at high-beginner or low-intermediate levels. So for people who've already done an Assimil course, it's probably worthwhile to try to find a way to use those new skills: read a book (sort of). Have an awkward conversation. Look for really slow audio and try to find some way to decipher it. Once you reach A2, the multitrack approach seems to be the fastest way to progress, even if it's less comfortable than sticking exclusively to courses.

But of course, I have no idea whether any of this applies to you personally, so feel free to ignore it.
13 x

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:15 pm

Yes, the different "generations" of the Assimil courses have completely different texts. Unfortunately, given that Assimil, like so many other publishers, issues "new editions" of their courses, it can be difficult identifying which ones are truly "previous generations" as opposed to new editions that have been issued, replete with new ISBN's, for reasons of recording technology, packaging, changes to the name, et cetera.

If you are looking for "previous generations" of Assimil courses for a particular language, I suggest that you specify which language you are interested in and search the forum for discussion threads covering the combination that you are looking for as, for certain languages, this matter has been addressed numerous times. I am confident that we can help you with your search.

Addendum: I concur with emk's cautionary advice: "I think that it's important to not keep best not to keep going back and doing beginner level courses over and over again. No amount of "zero to A2" courses are likely to ever get you to B2. We've seen a lot of people try over the years, and they tend to be the people who get endlessly stuck at high-beginner or low-intermediate levels." While practising the "basics" of any complicated task will provide a more solid base from which one can progress, and while doing so will increase a certain level of automaticity and build one's self-assurance, ultimately, we have to remove the training wheels and get into the traffic. Nevertheless, for both practical and psychological reasons, some of us are more comfortable with additional work on the basics and I would not hesitate to complete one additional "previous generation" Assimil course before moving on. While this reflects my personal preference, even I would have to admit that learning how to move a car forward and backwards in one's driveway will surely build one's self-confidence, this type of practice will not prepare one for the thrills of five o'clock rush-hour traffic.

EDITED:
Addendum
4 x

DaveBee
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native). French (studying).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7466

Postby DaveBee » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:32 pm

They do a follow-on course too, their "perfectionnement" series. Unfortunately, from an English base they only offer this for French.

Teach Yourself do offer an English:Spanish intermediate>advanced course you could consider after finishing your Assimil, Enjoy Spanish (I think this replaced Perfect Your Spanish).
2 x

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:06 pm

In my initial reply, I commented: “I believe that this question has been asked before; unfortunately, I cannot locate the discussion thread.” Although I vaguely recall having come across similar discussions in the Language Learners’ Forum, as I have yet to master the Search Function, I have not been able to locate any such discussion threads. Nevertheless, I just conducted a G-Search of the HTLAL using “Similar to Assimil” as my search criterion and came up with a number of threads, some of which I have listed below:

Other series similar to Assimil? – HTAL, April, 2012
http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=31944&PN=36

Is there any other program like Assimil? – HTLAL, March, 2014
http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=38242&PN=12

Programs similar to Assimil? – HTLAL, December, 2011
http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=30206&PN=11

Courses like Assimil – HTLAL, August, 2013
http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=36601&PN=19

I feel like I am the only one! Assimil – HTLAL, August, 2012
http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=33392

Seeking opinion on Cortina Master Courses – HTLAL, October, 2013
http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=37134&PN=17

Method 90 materials – HTLAL, May, 2012
http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=32530&PN=1

Best non-English programs – HTLAL, February, 2013
http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=35329&PN=24

Finally, I would note that there are numerous discussion threads in the HTLAL which touch upon the Linguaphone courses and many of them include passing comments wherein some members have expressed their opinion that the Linguaphone and Assimil courses bear many similarities. Frankly, I do not share this opinion, but then again, I have been an outlier all of my life.

EDITED:
Thrusting a dagger into the blackened hearts of the recalcitrant typos which plague me incessantly.
Correction to the LINK for "Method 90 materials"
Last edited by Speakeasy on Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
6 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”