Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Re: Which language to use as base, when learning a new language

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:58 am

arthaey wrote:*Huge caveat: not all language material are created equal, and I'd rather have well-written material in any base language, vs poorly-written material in a related language.

I agree. For instance, it's more likely that I find something good in English than in Swedish (especially for languages). I have one tome for Hungarian written in German, great study material for Russian written in Danish... The best Portuguese material I've seen so far is completely monolingual (as is my main Dutch material). For certain languages, there is nothing written in Swedish, but there is in English, and probably even more in other languages.

It's also worth mentioning that a lot of people have one of the world's bigger languages as their "main" second language. For people who know English, pretty much everything can be learned through English. I wouldn't be surprised if there are people in some corners of the world who learn languages (and other higher education subjects) through French, German, Mandarin, Russian, Portuguese, Arabic...
8 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Systematiker
Blue Belt
Languages: ENG (N); DEU (C2+) // SWG (~C1); BAR (~C1); SPA (4/3); FRA (~C1); SCO (~C1); NLD (~B2*); LAT (Latinum Bavaricum); GRC (Graecum Bavaricum); CAT (~B2*); POR (~B2*); SWE (~B2*); HBO (Hebraicum); DAN (~B1*); RUS (~A2); KOR (~A1); FAS (still a raw beginner)
*Averaged for high receptive skill
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7332

Postby Systematiker » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:36 pm

I think, along with many here, that the quality of the material is a deciding factor, but for the most part I've tended to gravitate toward using languages other than English in order to get the "laddering" effect. I was forced to do several things through German, and it did wonders for my German, so I've taken a page from that and tried to use e.g. Spanish for Catalan (in this case, both to take advantage of materials and to strengthen Spanish while learning Catalan). I'd rather learn through a stronger L2 for the economy effect; I get to work on the stronger L2, learn something new in another language, and get both in the same time spent.
5 x

Chung
Blue Belt
Languages: SPEAKS: English*, French
STUDIES: Hungarian, Italian
OTHER: Czech, German, Polish, Slovak, Ukrainian
STUDIED: Azeri, BCMS/SC, Estonian, Finnish, Korean, Latin, Northern Saami, Russian, Slovenian, Turkish
DABBLED: Bashkir, Chuvash, Crimean Tatar, Inari Saami, Kazakh, Kyrgyz, Latvian, Lithuanian, Meadow Mari, Mongolian, Romanian, Tatar, Turkmen, Tuvan, Uzbek

Postby Chung » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:57 pm

arthaey wrote:I actually prefer to match related languages, so that I'm only focused on the differences between them. So all else being equal*, I'd like to study German in English and French in Spanish. Some day, I'd like to study Finnish in Hungarian.

I'm just so sick of reading introductory French material that's trying to explain gender and subjunctive to English speakers. I know Spanish, I'm cool with "feminine" tables and "if I were you", let's skip to the ways it differs from what I already know! :)

*Huge caveat: not all language material are created equal, and I'd rather have well-written material in any base language, vs poorly-written material in a related language.

Personal experience: Trying to learn Finnish with a base in Hungarian comes off as about as sensible or logical as trying to learn Russian with a base in Greek. The divergence or mutual unintelligibility seems about as great. Somehow I can't see anyone suggesting that learning Russian after having studied Greek is worthwhile because they're Indo-European. If you were trying to learn Finnish with a base in Estonian, then you could derive some benefit because the divergence between Estonian and Finnish is roughly like what you see between Dutch and German, although learning Estonian is still no joke for most of us. In my case, I learned Hungarian first, and a few years later naively thought that Estonian couldn't be that hard because they're Uralic languages after all. Then reality set in soon after setting out and my illusions quickly shattered. By the time I got to Finnish, my sketchier knowledge of Estonian was handier than my less sketchy knowledge of Hungarian. As a corollary, learning Estonian with a Finnish base reveals a greater "discount" than using a Hungarian base.

Anyway, resources for Hungarians who want to learn Finnish on their own are also scarce compared to what you can get for English-speakers, apart from Finnish-Hungarian phrasebooks and dictionaries. Chances are that you'd have more luck finding "Teach Yourself Finnish" than an up-to-date beginners' course in Finnish published in Hungarian at a Hungarian bookstore.
9 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:01 pm

Yeah, when it comes to Finnish, the best bases for an experienced language learner are probably German, French and Russian. At least I find all the English-based materials annoying. I guess there should be some decent Swedish-based materials but I've not looked into that.
I also like to learn through a related language obviously :D I like "Gramática italiana para estudiantes de habla española" especially. There are also great materials that show you the connections and influences, such as "Spanish vocabulary: an etymological approach", "You already know Italian" (French, Spanish).
4 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Chung
Blue Belt
STUDIED: Azeri, BCMS/SC, Estonian, Finnish, Korean, Latin, Northern Saami, Russian, Slovenian, Turkish
DABBLED: Bashkir, Chuvash, Crimean Tatar, Inari Saami, Kazakh, Kyrgyz, Latvian, Lithuanian, Meadow Mari, Mongolian, Romanian, Tatar, Turkmen, Tuvan, Uzbek

Postby Chung » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:23 pm

Serpent wrote:Yeah, when it comes to Finnish, the best bases for an experienced language learner are probably German, French and Russian. At least I find all the English-based materials annoying. I guess there should be some decent Swedish-based materials but I've not looked into that.
I also like to learn through a related language obviously :D I like "Gramática italiana para estudiantes de habla española" especially. There are also great materials that show you the connections and influences, such as "Spanish vocabulary: an etymological approach", "You already know Italian" (French, Spanish).

Well, I'd put in a good word for the first two volumes of Aaltio's "Finnish for Foreigners" if one can find them without ruining his/her credit card.
1 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:18 pm

Oops, I almost forgot to answer the OPs question.

I see three possibilities here:
L2 simply as a bridge language (English, in my case)
L2 close to L3 (hypothesis: if I'd study Catalan through Spanish, Galician through Portuguese, Platt through German)
L2 far from L3 (Russian through Danish, Hungarian through German, Breton through French, Cantonese trough French)

If I have ONE course in a language I know (and the course seems good enough), I'll use it. (I'd be stupid not to)
If I have several courses and they are similar in quality, I'll use the teaching language I know best. (Why not?)
If I have several courses of varying quality and in different languages, I still might choose the one I understand best.
If I have several courses of similar quality but for different levels (and in different languages), I'll choose the most basic one even if it's in a relatively "weak" language (think German/Spanish/French/Italian/Russian).

All hypothetical examples, of course. I probably wouldn't choose something solely for the purpose of L3 via L2.
3 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Professional: ES, RU
Speak well: DE, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU, FI
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), BG, EUS, ZH (CAN), and a whole lot more.
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Postby tarvos » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:05 am

The compelling reason would also be that there's just more material in another language - especially useful for minority languages.
0 x
I hope your world is kind.

Is a girl.

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Postby Cainntear » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:05 pm

LesRonces wrote:A language you're not super, super comfortable in could do more damage than good.

A language that you're super, super comfortable in will not benefit itself from you using it to study another language.

I think that really sums it up.

But as others have said, sometimes it's a matter of availability of resources.

I always use English (my mother tongue) when there are decent resources available.
For Catalan, I went for a French Assimil course, because the resources I could fine in English at the time didn't appeal to me. I found that if I didn't understand something in the Catalan through transference from my French and Spanish, I wouldn't get much out of the translation, because the French equivalent was something I'd never learned. Some here would describe that as an opportunity to learn some new French, but to me that was a distraction from the task at hand, and also far too abstract, and suddenly starts becoming a puzzle rather than language.
1 x

arthaey
Brown Belt
Languages: :
EN (native);
ES (adv receptive, int productive);
FR (false beginner);
DE (lapsed beg);
ASL (lapsed beg);
HU (tourist)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3864&view=unread#unread

Postby arthaey » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:25 pm

Chung wrote:Personal experience: Trying to learn Finnish with a base in Hungarian comes off as about as sensible or logical as trying to learn Russian with a base in Greek. The divergence or mutual unintelligibility seems about as great.

But aren't there more grammatical similarities between Finnish & Hungarian, compared to English or Spanish?

(That said, it again comes down to material quality too.)
0 x
Posts in: FrenchGermanHungarianSpanish
NaNoWriMo: 10,000 words
Corrections welcome in any language; I prefer an informal register.

Chung
Blue Belt

Postby Chung » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:17 am

arthaey wrote:
Chung wrote:Personal experience: Trying to learn Finnish with a base in Hungarian comes off as about as sensible or logical as trying to learn Russian with a base in Greek. The divergence or mutual unintelligibility seems about as great.

But aren't there more grammatical similarities between Finnish & Hungarian, compared to English or Spanish?

(That said, it again comes down to material quality too.)

I'll go out on a bit of limb and say that while Finnish and Hungarian are more similar to each other grammatically than English or Spanish are to either of Finnish or Hungarian, I doubt that the intra-similarity is that useful to a learner considering the differences in the details. Part of the problem is how you define or evaluate the relevance of these similarities for a learner, and the details anyway reduce the intelligibility and force the learner to stop "cheating" by looking for shortcuts. Better to learn each language on its own terms when the divergence is that great.

I suspect that you're alluding to the broad grammatical (and typological) similarities between Finnish and Hungarian. I even think that their significance is at least slightly exaggerated because outsiders (i.e. speakers of the neighboring Romance, Germanic and Balto-Slavonic languages) find Finnish and Hungarian so alien to begin with.

For example, it's true that Finnish and Hungarian are remarkable for being agglutinative from the perspective of native speakers of the neighboring Romance, Germanic and Balto-Slavonic languages who don't rely on so many suffixes or infixes to mark subject, mood, tense, aspect, case or number. However I'd snicker at a Finn or Hungarian who'd tell me that it's striking that Spanish and Bulgarian have elaborate verb conjugation and are analytic (i.e. don't rely so much on endings to show how elements of sentence relate to each other), and then tacitly imply that these grammatical similarities somehow make it easier than supposed for Spaniards and Bulgarians to learn each other's language. Furthermore, Finnish and Hungarian don't apply agglutination in the same way nor does each language even make the same distinctions in the first place.

1a) "Come eat!"
FI: Tule syömään!
HU: Gyere enni!

1b) "I want to eat"
FI: Haluan syödä.
HU: Enni akarok.

What a Hungarian thinks of as the infinitive (enni "to eat"), the Finn has to use a specific variant of it depending on what is meant. In Finnish pedagogy, syömä- is the "3rd infinitive" of syödä which is called the "1st infinitive". In turn, syömä- takes the ending of the illative singular (here -än), and so in a certain way, you could translate Tule syömään! as "Come into the eating!"

2) "I like travelling / I like to travel."
FI: Pidän matkustamisesta.
HU: Szeretek utazni.

i) Let's look at the verbs pitää* and szeretni "to like". By agglutination, one predictably marks the tense, mood and subject by suffixes. The conjugational stems of the verbs are pitä- and szeret-, and these stems take on suffixes. In Finnish and Hungarian, the indicative present tense (present tense of factual statements) has no suffix, and so you're left with indicating the performer of the action. The relevant suffix for the 1st person singular is -n and -ek in Finnish and Hungarian respectively (i.e. pidän and szeretek). This concept shouldn't surprise neither the Finn nor the Hungarian. However, Finnish also adheres to consonant gradation, meaning that under some conditions, the quality or quantity of certain consonants or consonant clusters that begin a stem's final syllable change because of the addition of a suffix. Hungarian has no such characteristic. In this example, Finnish pitä- becomes pidä- when you add that -n ending of the 1st person singular. Saying pitän is ungrammatical while pidän is grammatical.

ii) Rather like in the first set of examples, the words referring to "travel" are expressed differently. Pitää in the meaning of "to like" governs elative case. Furthermore, its complement is more like a "true" abstract noun than an infinitive even though in Finnish pedagogy, the form matkustami(nen) is called the "4th infinitive". A literal translation of the Finnish sentence could be "I like out of travelling" or "I'm fond of travelling". In Hungarian, there's just one infinitive, and so szeretek utazni closely matches "I like to travel". I note that in less formal Finnish, it is grammatical to say tykkään matkustaa which translates more closely to "I like to travel". The Finnish first infinitive translates best to the English infinitives (i.e. to-infinitives and bare infinitives) (cf. Nyt on aika matkustaa "Now is the time to travel.")

*pitää means "to like" among other concepts such as "to hold"

3a) "I'm peeling a banana"
FI: Kuorin banaania
HU: Hámozok egy banánt

3b) "I'm peeling the banana"
FI: Kuorin banaania
HU: Hámozom a banánt

Hungarian verb conjugation reflects whether a direct object is definite or not and so we have Hámozok... versus Hámozom.... Furthermore it even somewhat resembles English or Spanish by using articles (egy "a; one", a(z) "the"). These traits are alien to a Finn.

3c) "I'm peeling a banana. I'm not peeling an orange."
FI: Kuorin banaania. En kuori appelsiinia.
HU: Hámozok egy banánt. Nem hámozok egy narancsot.

3d) "You're peeling an orange. You're not peeling a banana."
FI: Kuorit appelsiinia. Et kuori banaania.
HU: Hámozol egy narancsot. Nem hámozol egy banánt.

Finnish uses a negative verb e-. The personal endings are placed on the negative verb rather than the main one. In Hungarian, you place a negative adverb (i.e. nem) before the verb. Hungarian conjugation doesn't change just because the action is negated.

3e) "I'll peel a banana. I won't peel an orange."
FI: Kuorin banaanin. En kuori appelsiinia.
HU: Meghámozok egy banánt. Nem hámozok meg egy narancsot,

In Finnish, if the action is meant to be completed, will have a clear result or will affect the entire direct object, then the ending on the direct object will be the nominative or genitive (in this example it's -n or the ending of the genitive singular). Otherwise, this ending will be the partitive (in this example it's -a or the ending of the partitive singular). In contrast, Hungarian doesn't fool around with the ending of the direct object to give clues about the nature or effectiveness of the action. Hungarians instead mess around with the choice of verb (in this instance use a prefixed variant meghámoz rather than hámoz) to signify the nuances about the action. The direct object ending of -t is used throughout.

3f) "Don't peel an orange! Peel a banana!"
FI: Älä kuori appelsiinia! Kuori banaani!
HU: Ne hámozz egy narancsot! Hámozz meg egy banánt!

3g) "Don't peel the orange! Peel the banana!"
FI: Älä kuori appelsiinia! Kuori banaani!
HU: Ne hámozd a narancsot! Hámozd meg a banánt!

An additional wrinkle in Finnish is that a countable direct object looks like the nominative (~ basic form) when it complements an affirmative command. Here we say Kuori banaani! not Kuori banaanin! (I guess that it's possible to say Kuori banaania! but that means something like "peel (part) of the banana!" or "peel the banana in a half-assed way" and just comes off as weird compared to Kuori banaani!) For a negated command, that countable direct object is in partitive (-a ending in this example). In Hungarian, there's no such worry with the direct object but as usual the verb conjugation must change to show the definiteness of the direct object (hámozz vs. hámozd in these examples). For its part, Finnish doesn't do such a thing with its verb conjugation,

These examples should give some taste of my skepticism over making that much about the similarity of Finnish and Hungarian because of their being Uralic. The grammatical details work against the shortcuts one might be tempted into thinking about. It's all well and good that we have a couple of agglutinative languages that rely heavily if not totally on postpositions (Finnish has some prepositions and a lot of postpositions, Hungarian has just postpositions) and have no grammatical gender but for the average language learner, so what?

See here for some more comparisons between Finnish and Hungarian.

Another thing that works against whatever discount you think that you get by looking for grammatical similarities is that the vocabulary is very different. English vocabulary is a lot more Latinate than one might suspect for a Germanic language because of all of the Latin influence through Norman French, and importation of Latin terminology. Lo and behold, Latin (or rather Vulgar Latin) is a predecessor of Spanish. Proto-Uralic probably fragmented such that by 1000 BC the speakers of Proto-Hungarian and Proto-Finnic were already about 2000 km from each other (basically distance between St. Petersburg and Ufa, Russia). There was practically no contact between these languages starting then. On the other hand, Proto-Germanic (predecessor of Anglo-Saxon and later English) and Italic (predecessor of Latin and later Spanish) probably emerged as separate languages around 500 BC and then there was the longstanding influence of Latin through Old French on English from the Dark Ages, not to mention English and Spanish being covered by a Sprachbund. The difference between Finnish and Hungarian grew also because of how the neighbors' vocabulary established itself. Finnish has a lot of Germanic (or rather Old Norse) loanwords whereas Hungarian has a lot of Slavonic loanwords.
Last edited by Chung on Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
11 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”