Which language to use as base, when learning a new language

General discussion about learning languages
LinguaPony
Orange Belt
Languages: Russian (N), English (Proficient), Italian (Intermediate), M. Chinese (Beginner), German (Just started), Yiddish (half-cooked A1, long since forgotten, but now queued for revival)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7160

Re: Which language to use as base, when learning a new language

Postby LinguaPony » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:25 pm

I use both Russian and English as base languages to learn both Italian and Mandarin Chinese. Depending on the circumstances.
0 x

Willow
Yellow Belt
Languages: Русский (N), English, polski, deutsch

Postby Willow » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:28 pm

As for me the best way to learn foreign language is to learn in a comparison with native one, or, to be more specific, use my native language in order to build another language basis (and further) in my head.
It doesn't works so well while using my second foreign languages in process of learning, though, sometimes I'm compelled to use English or Polish in order to complete some courses in German. But, nevertheless, I've noticed that in this case I almost subconsciously translate these materials in Russian in order to understand information completely :)
2 x

William Camden
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), German (fluent), Turkish (fluent), Russian (fluent), French (semi-fluent), Spanish (semi-fluent), am studying Polish, have some knowledge of it, also studying modern Greek, basic knowledge of Arabic (mostly MSA, some exposure to colloquial dialects), basic knowledge of Latin and Italian, beginner in Scottish Gaelic.

Postby William Camden » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:12 pm

English generally, though I have used German materials to learn Turkish and once learned some Kurdish (in Cyrillic script) via an elderly Russian-Kurdish dictionary published in Soviet times.
2 x
: 4321 / 4321Greek Memrise

Return to “General Language Discussion”