Michel Thomas vs. Pimsleur

General discussion about learning languages
zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Re: Michel Thomas vs. Pimsleur

Postby zenmonkey » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:28 pm

Speakeasy wrote:
Cainntear wrote: Funnily enough, some other people might say the same thing about the many repetitive threads about comprehensive input, for example, or even, dare I say it, audiolingual courses, but we all have different preferences, don’t we? The site would be very different if we all lived in our own little silos...
I agree with you completely … uh, er, I think. In fact, I am on record in this forum as having pleaded numerous times – without apparent success – for a truce on the incessant debates over the audio-lingual method and its most-often-disparaged application, the FSI Basic courses, the Michel Thomas method, and the Pimsleur programme. It disheartens me that some people are incapable of displaying tolerance for other people’s preferences in language-learning materials. The most recent discussions under the “Language Transfer” discussion thread are illustrative … a veritable fight to the death over such a minor issue!

You do you, as long as it isn't Rosetta Stone. :lol:
4 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:40 pm

zenmonkey wrote: … You do you, as long as it isn't Rosetta Stone. :lol:
I have no experience with Rossetta Stone and do not recall ever having commented on this language-learning programme. I will admit, though, that my decision to not even give it a try was influenced by its rather uniform condemnation by others on the HTLAL and the LLORG. ;)
0 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:16 pm

Speakeasy wrote:
zenmonkey wrote: … You do you, as long as it isn't Rosetta Stone. :lol:
I have no experience with Rossetta Stone and do not recall ever having commented on this language-learning programme. I will admit, though, that my decision to not even give it a try was influenced by its rather uniform condemnation by others on the HTLAL and the LLORG. ;)

Apparently the new version is actually somewhere between not bad and good. But I’ve tried an old old version for German and Hebrew. I’d rather scoop my brains out with a butter knife that use that old method.
0 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:32 pm

rdearman wrote:My silo has carpet. :P

Is this a sentence from New Setswana with Ease? ;)
7 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Random Review
Green Belt
Languages: En (N), Es (int), De (pre-int), Pt (pre-int), Zh-CN (beg), El (beg), yid (beg)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 75#p123375

Postby Random Review » Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:50 pm

Speakeasy wrote:
Cainntear wrote: Funnily enough, some other people might say the same thing about the many repetitive threads about comprehensive input, for example, or even, dare I say it, audiolingual courses, but we all have different preferences, don’t we? The site would be very different if we all lived in our own little silos...
I agree with you completely … uh, er, I think. In fact, I am on record in this forum as having pleaded numerous times – without apparent success – for a truce on the incessant debates over the audio-lingual method and its most-often-disparaged application, the FSI Basic courses, the Michel Thomas method, and the Pimsleur programme. It disheartens me that some people are incapable of displaying tolerance for other people’s preferences in language-learning materials. The most recent discussions under the “Language Transfer” discussion thread are illustrative … a veritable fight to the death over such a minor issue!

I took a temporary break from the Language Transfer thread, because it was getting upsetting. Why we (and of course I know I am not innocent here) feel the need to trash things we don't understand in our current society is an interesting question.

People can believe what they want, but I know from personal experience that a lot of things are very helpful if you don't make them your "one true" method and I think just dismissing them as worse than useless when you clearly don't understand what they are doing sometimes dances quite close to being a little irresponsible on a forum that has as one of its most important goals to help newbies learn their first L2.

Michel Thomas and Language Transfer style courses, Pimsleur, Audiolingual drills, large amounts of input, traditional courses, native content, output, Anki reps, shadowing dialogues, extensive reading... I use them all (except for extensive reading in Chinese, for obvious reasons) and they have all helped me. As far as I can see, all successful language learners I know of are pragmatic and flexible, using the right tool for their current goal and personal preferences and using it at the right time and in the right combinations.

Even as an English teacher, I have seen something similar. My first job was for a company that believed in drilling the hell out of everything and insisted their teachers correct every mistake. Some students were able to successfully use these drills as a tool, but mostly the results were not great and I didn't really like it very much (however I got to live in Madrid off the back of it, which was great). My current school is the complete opposite. I've been here a month and they are all about just setting up "communicative" activity after "communicative" activity with little attention paid to accuracy. From what I've seen so far the results are even worse IMO and TBH I despise it even more.

In between those I had a job for a school that, yes, paid lip-service to the above approach (apparently this is fetish of the decade in TEFL), but in practice weren't dogmatic about it and mostly encouraged teachers to be responsible for their classes and tried to give teachers as many different tools as possible to be pragmatic and flexible in the classroom. The results were far from perfect, but much, much better.
1 x
German input 100 hours by 30-06: 4 / 100
Spanish input 200 hours by 30-06: 0 / 200
German study 50 hours by 30-06: 3 / 100
Spanish study 200 hours by 30-06: 0 / 200
Spanish conversation 100 hours by 30-06: 0 / 100

Return to “General Language Discussion”