New auxlang: Atlas

General discussion about learning languages
Rodiniye
Orange Belt
Languages: Spanish, English, Italian, German, Rodinian

Re: New auxlang: Atlas

Postby Rodiniye » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:11 pm

Well it is a pretty minor thing anyway :roll:

Next thing I will be working on is a new translation. Extremely busy at work lately but I will try to find some time. I have got holidays coming up as well so they will come handy
1 x

tommus
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B2), Dutch (B2)

Postby tommus » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:28 pm

I have completed the big task of expanding on the so-called Derived Roots (all the single component nouns, verbs, adjectives and adverbs that can be derived from the 526 current 3-letter roots by adding all the possible suffixes). Some of these Derived Roots make little or no sense, but to analyse each one to see if some user might derive that word simply takes too much time and too much guesswork. So I left all the possible words in the computer dictionary where they only appear if someone chooses to use them. The verbs adjectives and adverbs, and the plural nouns were manually checked and edited to provide a good English translation(s), such as the fleshed out verb tenses (such as: I will have gone, I talked, etc). Plurals were edited where necessary (such as men, children, etc).

I have updated the Atlas PopUp Dictionary application with these new vocabulary entries, and added some new features.

2017-10-09 AtlasPopUpDictionaryV5.0

The application loads a sample Atlas text and words into the centre blue area. By clicking on an Atlas word, the English translation pops up, together with some additional information such as parts of speech, roots, etc. By highlighting a sentence and clicking on "Sentence Translation", the whole sentence or sentences are translated in the lower blue area. For any single Atlas word in the translation area, clicking on "Sample Sentences" will bring up any sample sentence that is in the Atlas Grammar that contains that word.

The orange area provides an English to Atlas lookup dictionary from the Atlas roots by entering an English word in the top line and hitting "Return", or clicking on "Deep Search" for a more detailed search.

To run this application, you need the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) installed on your computer. Then just double click on the ".jar" file.
2 x
Dutch: 01 September -> 31 December 2020
Watch 1000 Dutch TV Series Videos : 40 / 1000

tommus
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B2), Dutch (B2)

Postby tommus » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:24 am

In reviewing and editing the Derived Roots, I came across some errors in the Atlas vocabulary, some duplicate words, etc:

qen (English and Spanish in wrong columns)
zeb (English and Spanish in wrong columns)

Spelling:
tam (realize)
zak (symbol)
zib (trash)
seq (holy)

Duplicate words. Some may have subtle differences, but are so close that they will be confusing and a source of errors.

anx (boy, girl)
mac (boy, girl)

bur (bad)
mal (bad)

laq (humid, wet)
moh (wet)

ess (be)
zar (be)
1 x
Dutch: 01 September -> 31 December 2020
Watch 1000 Dutch TV Series Videos : 40 / 1000

Rodiniye
Orange Belt

Postby Rodiniye » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:08 pm

In reviewing and editing the Derived Roots, I came across some errors in the Atlas vocabulary, some duplicate words, etc:

Great work! I will update that tomorrow and include the new version of the dictionary.

I have to catch up again as I have been sick for around 2 weeks!
0 x

crush
Blue Belt
Languages: EN (N), ES, ZH
Maintain: EUS, YUE, JP, HAW
Study: TGL, SV
On Hold: RU

Postby crush » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:02 pm

Nice work, tommus! The dictionary is really great.

I also imagine the past two weeks in Barcelona must be quite intense! I just moved to Madrid myself this past Sunday and it's definitely a bit of a tense situation. Hope you're feeling better!
0 x

Rodiniye
Orange Belt

Postby Rodiniye » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:53 pm

crush wrote:Nice work, tommus! The dictionary is really great.

I also imagine the past two weeks in Barcelona must be quite intense! I just moved to Madrid myself this past Sunday and it's definitely a bit of a tense situation. Hope you're feeling better!

It's not as bad as they say! ;)
0 x

crush
Blue Belt
Languages: EN (N), ES, ZH
Maintain: EUS, YUE, JP, HAW
Study: TGL, SV
On Hold: RU

Postby crush » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:36 pm

Btw, came across this today:
https://web.archive.org/web/20130603121 ... tests.html

Perhaps going through that with Atlas might be helpful?
1 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”