Conversation Practice Advice? Help?

General discussion about learning languages
issemiyaki
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N); Spanish (Fluent); French (Fluent); Russian (hoping to reach fluency his year!)

Conversation Practice Advice? Help?

Postby issemiyaki » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:47 pm

Any suggestions for how to conduct conversation sessions with tutor?

Despite being fairly fluent, I still have some problems grammatically. So, it’s hard to know where to begin.

I´m great talking about human right, international relations, politics, etc. But explaining to someone how to tie their shoes, I'm a bit lost.

When you learn a language, you sort of see it as a ladder, and you're on this quest to reach the top, learning more and more highfalutin words (especially if you use your L2 in professional settings). As a result, you sometimes neglect the more every-day, mundane language at the bottom of the ladder, the true foundation, arguably the most important part because is glues the language together.

So I want conversation sessions that will help me improve. I’m not looking for someone to stroke my ego. I’m looking to roll up my sleeves and get to work.

But then again, maybe I’m trying too hard? Maybe just basic conversation, letting it take its own course, is the best way to go?

Let me know what you think. I’m all ears!

(To moderator: Please forgive me for posting this here. It was a mistake. Could you kindly move it to the proper forum for "Advice." Pardon the inconvenience.)
1 x

issemiyaki
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N); Spanish (Fluent); French (Fluent); Russian (hoping to reach fluency his year!)

Re: Conversation Practice Advice? Help?

Postby issemiyaki » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:26 pm

@LesRonces - if only it were that easy.

Some tutors don't always know the best way to deal with these issues. Many can provide the invaluable raw material, themselves and their ability to speak their native language. They can also offer you tons of examples.

But again, they don't always have a lesson plan, and I tend to like to take responsibility for how my chat sessions play out, especially given that I use different tutors all the time.

So, that's why I'm asking for ideas. I'll ask my tutors for their input as well, but I'm interested in collecting a variety of opinions, thank you.
0 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”