Languages you have never had any interest in learning ??

General discussion about learning languages
User avatar
Saim
Green Belt
Posts: 487
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:14 pm
Location: Novi Sad
Languages: Native: English (AU)
Advanced fluency: Catalan, Serbian (+heritage), Spanish, Polish
Basic fluency: Hungarian, French, Galician, Asturian
?? (depends on register): Urdu
Intermediate (mostly passive): Hebrew, Punjabi, Russian, Portuguese, Italian, Occitan, Dutch, Turkish, German
Basic/dabbled: lots of Slavic languages, Romanian, Esperanto, Basque, Arabic, Mandarin
x 1457

Re: Languages you have never had any interest in learning ??

Postby Saim » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:50 am

Tristano wrote:- Urdu, unless I studied Hindi first.


You don't really have to differentiate them much until, say, upper B1. Especially if you focus more on speaking and listening than reading and writing, as I did. Actually at earlier levels it can be damaging to work too much on Urdu's "unique" vocabulary that's not present in Hindi because you can end up sounding like a book.
1 x

User avatar
Tristano
Blue Belt
Posts: 639
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:11 am
Location: The Netherlands
Languages: Native: Italian
Speaks: English, Dutch, French, Spanish
Understands but not yet speaks: Romanian
Studies: German
Can't wait to put his hands on: Scandinavian languages, Slavic languages, Turkish, Arabic and other stuff
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5141
x 1000

Re: Languages you have never had any interest in learning ??

Postby Tristano » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:41 am

Saim, the point with this duo is that Urdu is written in Arabic Script, thing that I try to avoid like the peste bubbonica.
0 x

lichtrausch
Orange Belt
Posts: 221
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:21 pm
Languages: English, Japanese, German
Learning: Mandarin, Korean, French
x 439

Re: Languages you have never had any interest in learning ??

Postby lichtrausch » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:28 pm

Tristano wrote:- Japanese, it's true that I contemplated learning it because of a travel in Japan, but please, nope. It has all the characteristics of a language that I hate: language isolate, 3 alphabets, one of which is not even an alphabet but a set of ideograms, so weird and alien and strictly culture dependent that if you don't live in the country you basically have no chance whatsoever.

The situation isn't quite that dire. Although technically a language isolate, its grammar and to a lesser extent phonology are quite similar to Korean. The two syllabaries are very straightforward, and the Chinese characters are of course shared to a large extent with Mandarin and to a much lesser extent with Korean. That's not to say it isn't a huge challenge, but it's also not xenolinguistics.
2 x

galaxyrocker
Blue Belt
Posts: 748
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:44 am
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=757
x 1582

Re: Languages you have never had any interest in learning ??

Postby galaxyrocker » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:25 am

lichtrausch wrote:=
The situation isn't quite that dire. Although technically a language isolate, its grammar and to a lesser extent phonology are quite similar to Korean. The two syllabaries are very straightforward, and the Chinese characters are of course shared to a large extent with Mandarin and to a much lesser extent with Korean. That's not to say it isn't a huge challenge, but it's also not xenolinguistics.


Japanese isn't an isolate, but part of the Japonic family along with the Ryukyuan languages of which Okinawan is the most famous. Still, a relatively small family. Korean is an isolate, however, though there are some attested languages on the Korean Peninsula that could have been related to it.
3 x

vonPeterhof
Blue Belt
Posts: 596
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:55 am
Languages: Russian (N), English (C2), Japanese (~C1), German (~B2), Kazakh (~B1), Norwegian (~A2)
Studying: Indonesian, Sanskrit
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1237
x 1828
Contact:

Re: Languages you have never had any interest in learning ??

Postby vonPeterhof » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:22 am

Tristano wrote:- Japanese, it's true that I contemplated learning it because of a travel in Japan, but please, nope. It has all the characteristics of a language that I hate: language isolate, 3 alphabets, one of which is not even an alphabet but a set of ideograms, so weird and alien and strictly culture dependent that if you don't live in the country you basically have no chance whatsoever.
Heh, these are all the things that actually made me interested in learning Japanese in the first place. I remember thinking at one point "If I'm going to master a language other than English, why not take the biggest challenge possible?" I ended up sticking with it mostly for the anime though :D

Tristano wrote:- Turkic languages written with the Arabic alphabet, although I can always learn all the others first and those only by listening.
The major ones (Azerbaijani, Uzbek, Turkmen, Kazakh, Kyrgyz, even Uyghur) all have an alternative standard written either in the Latin or the Cyrillic alphabet, while the smaller ones tend not to be fully standardized anyway. Besides, the Arabic alphabet as used in China for writing Uyghur, Kazakh and Kyrgyz (not sure about Uzbek) is much easier to read than most other Arabic-based alphabets due to it being used as a full alphabet rather than an abjad - the vowels are written in all cases, and even Arabic and Persian words are respelled to how they are pronounced by the natives instead of retaining their original spellings.
9 x

User avatar
Tristano
Blue Belt
Posts: 639
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:11 am
Location: The Netherlands
Languages: Native: Italian
Speaks: English, Dutch, French, Spanish
Understands but not yet speaks: Romanian
Studies: German
Can't wait to put his hands on: Scandinavian languages, Slavic languages, Turkish, Arabic and other stuff
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5141
x 1000

Re: Languages you have never had any interest in learning ??

Postby Tristano » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:55 am

So basically I have to study also Japanese and the languages that use the arabic alphabet as a full alphabet.
Dammit.
1 x

User avatar
Henkkles
Orange Belt
Posts: 203
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:13 pm
Languages: N FI | A EN SV | I EE RU | B many
x 510

Re: Languages you have never had any interest in learning ??

Postby Henkkles » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:25 am

Personally I'm enamored by human language as a phenomenon, and as a consequence I find all languages amazing and wonderful and thus want to learn all of them. However I am not interested in putting in the time to learn most of them simply because realistically I just don't have the time or opportunities to learn and use a language spoken far away from me. Even if Burmese has 100 speakers for every speaker of Icelandic, the latter is still easier to get to, easier to learn because of language transfer and I'm probably more likely to meet Icelanders in Helsinki than Burmese people. I still like how Burmese sounds and would like to learn it, but I have to forgo that in favor of other languages I have more opportunities to use.

On another note it perplexes me to no end that we can have a forum for people who are interested in languages who can still hold the opinion that certain languages are ugly, or even that a human language can possibly be ugly or unpleasant. I just don't get it.
6 x

User avatar
Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Posts: 1893
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:22 am
Location: London
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)


Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708
x 3266
Contact:

Re: Languages you have never had any interest in learning ??

Postby Elenia » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:33 am

Henkkles wrote:On another note it perplexes me to no end that we can have a forum for people who are interested in languages who can still hold the opinion that certain languages are ugly, or even that a human language can possibly be ugly or unpleasant. I just don't get it.


Why? I'm interested in books - in fact, I love them and always have. I am probably even obsessed with them. However I can still think some of them are hideous in terms of design, or awful in terms of content. I can think a book is beautifully written and hate every second of it. I can think a book is trash and devour it (and its sequels) in three days. Why should I think all languages are beautiful and amazing just because I like a few of them? I like the phenomenon that natural languages are - but I don't have to like the individual languages.
4 x

User avatar
Henkkles
Orange Belt
Posts: 203
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:13 pm
Languages: N FI | A EN SV | I EE RU | B many
x 510

Re: Languages you have never had any interest in learning ??

Postby Henkkles » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:18 am

Elenia wrote:
Henkkles wrote:On another note it perplexes me to no end that we can have a forum for people who are interested in languages who can still hold the opinion that certain languages are ugly, or even that a human language can possibly be ugly or unpleasant. I just don't get it.


Why? I'm interested in books - in fact, I love them and always have. I am probably even obsessed with them. However I can still think some of them are hideous in terms of design, or awful in terms of content. I can think a book is beautifully written and hate every second of it. I can think a book is trash and devour it (and its sequels) in three days. Why should I think all languages are beautiful and amazing just because I like a few of them? I like the phenomenon that natural languages are - but I don't have to like the individual languages.

Please understand that I don't do this out of spite, but I refuse to respond to your argument for it conflates things that arise naturally with things that are artificial; the difference is too fundamental for me to think of an answer. I do understand that for some or most this distinction isn't meaningful, but I don't really have much to say to such people.
1 x

User avatar
Ezy Ryder
Orange Belt
Posts: 146
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:22 am
Languages: PL (rusting Native)
EN (Advanced)
中文 (Lower Intermediate)
日本語 (Beginner, not studying)
台語 (Dabbling)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=1164
x 214
Contact:

Re: Languages you have never had any interest in learning ??

Postby Ezy Ryder » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:55 am

I don't see any reason why one should find every language aesthetically pleasing, or shouldn't feel the opposite way. I was under the impression we're speaking of subjective perceptions, rather than objective opinions. Basically, I think we're just talking about two different things, one features expressions like "enamoured by human language as a phenomenon" (emphasis added) and "amazing", and the other "sounds" and "beautiful".

I find the phenomenon of life amazing, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't find arachnids rather off-putting...

EDIT: Typo.
5 x
阿波
: 1250 / 1000010k SRS Challenge :
: 3750 / 48084,808 漢字 (handwriting) :


Return to “General Language Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: mick33 and 2 guests