Languages you have never had any interest in learning ??

General discussion about learning languages
blaurebell
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (C2), Spanish (B2-C1), French (B2+ passive), Italian (A2), Russian (Beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3235

Re: Languages you have never had any interest in learning ??

Postby blaurebell » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:04 pm

F
LesRonces wrote:Yeah i have no desire to learn any Asian language but Japanese has always been there as something i would like to maybe learn one day. Don't know what makes it different.

For me it's Manga and Anime. I really like comics, so it's really an obvious choice :)
0 x
: 20 / 100 Дэвид Эддингс - В поисках камня
: 14325 / 35000 LWT Known

: 17 / 55 FSI Spanish Basic
: 100 / 116 GdUdE B
: 8 / 72 Duolingo reverse Spanish -> German

LesRonces
Green Belt
Languages: FR B1¾

Postby LesRonces » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:06 pm

blaurebell wrote:F
LesRonces wrote:Yeah i have no desire to learn any Asian language but Japanese has always been there as something i would like to maybe learn one day. Don't know what makes it different.

For me it's Manga and Anime. I really like comics, so it's really an obvious choice :)

See i don't even like them !

I guess it's the way it's pronounced and the sounds seem more similar to European languages. Plus Kill Bill.
1 x

sillygoose1
Green Belt
Languages: _
NA: English
C2: French
C1: German, Italian, Spanish
B2: Russian, Portuguese
A2: Japanese
A1: Mandarin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=751

Postby sillygoose1 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:10 pm

Turkish, Cantonese, Korean, Basque come to mind. Also, all Slavic languages outside of Russian, Polish, and Czech
0 x

-JM-
White Belt
Languages: Turkish (N), English (C2), French (B2)

Postby -JM- » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:28 pm

None of the languages except English, because why would I have. I am learning French now because I have to.
0 x

Tillumadoguenirurm
Orange Belt
Languages: English

Postby Tillumadoguenirurm » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:46 pm

Any Sami language, they all look and sound horrible. Finnish for the same reason.
I've never had any interest in Chinese languages, Japanese or any language made because of movies/books/whatever.

I might learn German someday, but it's only because of the amount of literature written in it. Absolutely zero interest in the language or the culture, so it's sort of on the list too.
0 x

Morgana
Blue Belt
Languages:

Re:

Postby Morgana » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:41 pm

---
Last edited by Morgana on Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2 x

schlaraffenland
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), German (C2)
Actively studying: French (C1), Japanese (~N5)
My old flames: Latin, Ancient Greek (Koine, Attic, Homeric)
On ice for now: Spanish, Korean, Turkish, Norwegian
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5831

Postby schlaraffenland » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:38 pm

Cavesa wrote:Had you asked my 10 years younger self, she would have answered "German" immediately, with a list of reasons. :-D

:lol: Me too! How things change (thank goodness, I'd say). Who knows what'll be interesting in another decade.

I have zero interest in Mandarin, but a lot of interest in Hokkien and Teochew.
Also little to no interest in Italian, Russian, or Arabic at present. Nothing against any of them, either; I just don't feel anything spark in me when I think about learning them.
If a wealthy benefactor were to show up and say, "You WILL learn _____, because I am sending you to a course for the next two years," then I guess I'd sort of shrug and sigh and deal with it. But I would probably keep doing "my" languages in secret on the side. ;)
1 x
: 120 / 150 Expressions françaises (120/150)

Mooby
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)
Polish, German, Turkish

Postby Mooby » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:37 am

I'm just too fickle to say 'never'.
I know that every time I try to categorically rule a language out, my interest in it will be rekindled by the most random of things. I'll watch a film in Arabic or stop to help a Spanish tourist or try to thank the Bengali chef in my local restaurant etc. The desire for inter-cultural engagement can overcome my reservations about pretty much any language, at least temporarily (Esperanto being the exception :lol: ).
4 x

aravinda
Green Belt
Languages: .

Postby aravinda » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:20 am

I know I sound silly :oops: but I am interested in learning ALL the languages I know of (including Esperanto, dead and endangered languages) IF I have the time, energey/health and resources. I have dabbled with some fifteen or so langauges and plan to learn them all someday if suitable conditions prevail. Though not realistic, I am sure I would be interested in learning ALL the languages I come across only exception being the languages specifically made for movies, fiction etc.
Reminds me of the words of Le Comte de Monte-Cristo of Alexandre Dumas:
Je n’ai que deux adversaires ; je ne dirai pas deux vainqueurs, car avec la persistance je les soumets : c’est la distance et le temps. Le troisième, et le plus terrible, c’est ma condition d’homme mortel.
(I have only two adversaries -- I will not say two conquerors, for with perseverance I subdue even them, -- they are time and distance. There is a third, and the most terrible -- that is my condition as a mortal being)
And I can add resources (=money) as a fourth because no one is rich like him :lol:
4 x

Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Postby Ani » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:50 am

Mooby wrote: I'll watch a film in Arabic or stop to help a Spanish tourist or try to thank the Bengali chef in my local restaurant etc. The desire for inter-cultural engagement can overcome my reservations about pretty much any language, at least temporarily (Esperanto being the exception :lol: ).

This happens to me too. We had a server who was from Macedonia a couple weeks ago and I though maybe I should learn Macedonian :lol:

I don't have interest in learning Spanish. Too many negative associations. I would learn Portuguese. Also I don't have interest I learning a entire family of languages. I might change my mind in 15 or 20 years but at this point the idea of spending more time trying to keep languages separate than acquiring them in the first place seems pretty awful.
3 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Return to “General Language Discussion”