SRS MP3 software

General discussion about learning languages
ShawnP
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), German (Learning)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3123

SRS MP3 software

Postby ShawnP » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:30 pm

Good day everyone, I apologize if this has been asked but I'm having no luck finding this question in old posts.

Question: Is there a program out there that would allow a learner to input mp3 files, which would build an SRS mp3??

For example, If I were to cut out all TL sentences from Assimil lesson #1 using Audacity and uploaded them to a an SRS software, it would produce an mp3 file with all 21 sentences in SRS. This is much like Glossika GSR files without the native language, only the target language over and over again.

I know many of you are ANKI fans, but I'm not talking about Anki or any type of flashcards. Only mp3 files.

I appreciate all your time and any ideas.
Last edited by ShawnP on Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
German Goals starting 8 April 2024

: 005 / 500 500 Hours in German (Audio, Video, Books)

scivola
White Belt
Languages: Esperanto (A2)
French (beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1800

Re: SRS MP3 software

Postby scivola » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:55 pm

I've never used it, but I know there is a program called Gradint that is supposed to create Pimsleur-style lessons, which I thnk is very close to what you're asking for. As I recall, though, the installation and usage instructions were very vague and confusing. If you find something better, I'd be interested in hearing about it too.
1 x

ShawnP
Orange Belt

Postby ShawnP » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:13 pm

Thanks scivola. I went to the website to check it out. When attempting to download the file, my computer stated the site was unsafe. So we shall wait and see if anyone else has any ideas.
0 x

leosmith
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N)
Spanish (adv)
French (int)
German (int)
Japanese (int)
Korean (int)
Mandarin (int)
Portuguese (int)
Russian (int)
Swahili (int)
Tagalog (int)
Thai (int)

Postby leosmith » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:28 pm

ShawnP wrote:Question: Is there a program out there that would allow a learner to input mp3 files, which would build an SRS mp3??

Just to clarify - the spaced repetitions will be predetermined, so you won't be grading your answers, right?
0 x
https://languagecrush.com/reading - try our free multi-language reading tool

ShawnP
Orange Belt

Postby ShawnP » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:00 pm

Exactly. Just an mp3 with the same 15-20, or more sentences over and over again in intervals. I'm sure there has to be something like that available. Basically a Glossika GSR file without the native language, only the target language over and over.
1 x

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Postby Cainntear » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:50 pm

ShawnP wrote:Thanks scivola. I went to the website to check it out. When attempting to download the file, my computer stated the site was unsafe. So we shall wait and see if anyone else has any ideas.

This site? I'd be surprised to find any major spam coming from Cambridge University, and I particularly wouldn't worry about something coming from a research in Computer Science. Gradint is completely safe, and it does *exactly* what you want -- and I'm pretty certain it's the only generally available software that does, short of programming your own.

The only caveat is that the guy who wrote it stuck to memory schedules too rigorously, so it ends up having massive silences in the first few lessons.

The best way to deal with that is to add only phrases you know really well at the start, generate 5 lessons, then add all the material you want to learn and start generating new lessons. Then start listening at lesson 6.
3 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:21 pm

ShawnP wrote:Good day everyone, I apologize if this has been asked but I'm having no luck finding this question in old posts.

Question: Is there a program out there that would allow a learner to input mp3 files, which would build an SRS mp3??

For example, If I were to cut out all TL sentences from Assimil lesson #1 using Audacity and uploaded them to a an SRS software, it would produce an mp3 file with all 21 sentences in SRS. This is much like Glossika GSR files without the native language, only the target language over and over again.

I know many of you are ANKI fans, but I'm not talking about Anki or any type of flashcards. Only mp3 files.

I appreciate all your time and any ideas.

If you want a single file with sentence frequency you'll have to write a macro to do that.

For Anki stuff (I know you said you didn't want that, but frankly it is easier...)

A) You can either take the assimil sentence by sentence mp3 and put them into Anki. There is a thread on doing this:
https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =19&t=5965

My Assimil Anki Portuguese deck took about an hour to build and has 3000 cards.

B) You can use sub2srs to convert mp3 to uploadable media elements, again for Anki or other SRS software
EMK post on this: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =723#p1121
and mine: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 2920#p2920
4 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

ShawnP
Orange Belt

Postby ShawnP » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:19 pm

Thanks for the responses. Much appreciated.
0 x

Axon
Blue Belt
Languages: Native English, in order of comfort: Mandarin, German, Indonesian,
Spanish, French, Russian,
Cantonese, Vietnamese, Polish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5086

Postby Axon » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:57 am

This is pretty simple to do with Python and the pydub library. If you don't know anything about programming, you might say "programming isn't simple at all!" but the secret is that I'm actually very bad at programming and I managed to make this work. Go through a few codecademy tutorials and read the pydub documentation and you'll figure it out soon enough.

With pydub you can string mp3 or wav files together according to whatever rules you set up in the program. I'm trying to build a script that will mimic Glossika exactly, with the sentence pairs and the day-to-day files and everything. This is tough for me. But if you just want the target language sentences in a spaced format, that's really easy to do. If you have a small number of files, you can even send me a message and I can make it for you.
2 x

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Postby Cainntear » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:28 pm

Axon wrote:This is pretty simple to do with Python and the pydub library. If you don't know anything about programming, you might say "programming isn't simple at all!" but the secret is that I'm actually very bad at programming and I managed to make this work. Go through a few codecademy tutorials and read the pydub documentation and you'll figure it out soon enough.

With pydub you can string mp3 or wav files together according to whatever rules you set up in the program. I'm trying to build a script that will mimic Glossika exactly, with the sentence pairs and the day-to-day files and everything. This is tough for me. But if you just want the target language sentences in a spaced format, that's really easy to do. If you have a small number of files, you can even send me a message and I can make it for you.

Yes, but the tricky part is the scheduling, and that's all done for you if you use Gradint.
0 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”